Why become a member? ×

which courier?...to ship bass

ebenezer

Use the Interparcel website & see which courier works out best/cheapest for you.
It's a lottery really, no matter which courier you use somebody will come along with a horror story & tell you not to use them.
For instance, the only courier I've never had any problems with is Parcelforce, but lots of people on here wouldn't even consider using them.

I used UPS to pickup a bass from Spain and have it delivered over Christmas. They were %u£king hopeless!

Collected it, denied collecting it, for several days could only tell us the sender had cancelled (he hadn't). They told him we had cancelled (we hadn't).
Our tracking number started working several days later, seller was extremely unhappy as they denied having the bass for several days.
UPS said the tracking number didn't exist, despite us using it on their website. The tracking said delivered on 24th of December at the latest, customer services
said it doesn't say that, you must be reading wrong! You won't have it till the container it's in is opened on the 30th.

It turned up on the 29th with the driver apologising for it not arriving by the 24th as stated. They were genuinely clueless and the worst courier I've paid to use.

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1453308698' post='2958328']
I used UPS to pickup a bass from Spain and have it delivered over Christmas. They were %u£king hopeless!
They were genuinely clueless and the worst courier I've paid to use.
[/quote]

UPS have badly damaged several parcels that I have sent & received over the years.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1453309896' post='2958346']
Personally I wouldn't risk anyone of them shipping an instrument. I'd use national rail enquiries and book a cheap advance train ticket, or national express and go by coach. You get a day out too !
[/quote]

You've never sent a bass from Aberdeen to London have you? UPS/Interparcel works for me.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1453310174' post='2958348']
You've never sent a bass from Aberdeen to London have you? UPS/Interparcel works for me.
[/quote]

I once collected a bass from a guy who lived just north of Edinburgh. It cost me £30 return on the train, the guy very kindly travelled down to Edinburgh to meet me.

It's just me. I have no doubt that each of the couriers successfully manages to deliver hundreds of instruments every day of the week, it's the ones that they don't manage to deliver safely though that concerns me with shipping. Which is why when I do sell something that's fragile, I insist on collection, or me meeting them somewhere convenient. I sold a Modulus bass before Christmas, the guy travelled up from Exeter to collect it. He's maybe as paranoid as me.

"You pays your money you takes your chance" all parcel companies will do their best to get your bass delivered quickly and undamaged but all parcel companies will have had horror stories against them from disgruntled customers, I guess they transport tens of thousands of items every year, most without any issue so the chances of it getting damaged, whilst no less annoying if it does happen, is probably very low

Countless musical instruments get moved safely from country of manufacture to the rest of the world each week. Obviously there is always a risk but if you want to open up your market to more buyers beyond collection/meet half way you have to mitigate that risk and I think adequate packaging is the key. To my shame I have bought and sold a lot of basses - check my feedback :blush: - sent 4 to European countries, imported 3 from Japan, all the rest within the UK. Only once was a bass damaged and that was my own stupid fault for not packing it properly. The only time I haven't had the confidence to sent a bass via courier was a Danelectro as I am not sure it was intrinsically rugged enough given the packaging materials I had available.

Ideally: bass > bubblewrap > hard case > bubblewrap > sturdy box.
If no hard case then a second sturdy box to replace the hard case, packing out the empty bits so it can't move and with extra wadding top and tail.
It takes time, effort and care but is worth it.

So far I've had no problems other than delays. I guess if 1% of the parcels goes astray it's bound to happen. The biggest problems are with their IT in the main, they'll tell you they've lost something when you have the tracking on screen etc. Yodel are to be avoided and DPD seem to be the most sorted but in the end everything I've bought or sold has arrived intact. Just make sure the packaging is secure and the bass can't move around inside the case.

The insurance is an interesting issue though, if instruments aren't covered. That's mis-selling and you'd have good reason to make a claim.

I've probably sent about 50 packages with Interparcel/UPS over the past few years and only had one (very heavy) item damaged. It's when a package gets damaged that you can really tell what kind of service you're getting. The company I had used previously point blank refused to pay up even though I provided evidence that they had smashed an amplifier to smithereens. It took Interparcel a month but they paid out in full. Their insurance isn't cheap, but at least you can rely on it.
UPS are pretty good on the whole, but it's definitely worth going through Interparcel because they have much more clout with the carriers than you do if something goes wrong. Plus, their systems are much more consumer friendly.

Edited by stevie

I've used UPS for international deals many times and I've been satisfied so far. Anyhow, there is always a certain risk whichever courier you use. So now and then I use the opportunity to make a trip and I pick up the bass in person. Thanks to that I've visited Amsterdam, Linz (Austria) etc. Good luck with your choice.

Always used parcelforce for within the uk. Never once a problem at all. You can only insure a guitar fully for loss and only up to a small amount for damage.
Always picked up on time and so far have a 100% track record of delivery on time for me with no damage.
I have a supply of thomann outer cardboard boxes. Which do a good job as they come with loads of packing too.
Dpd have a good rep too.

Always panic about the instrument after its left me. And especially if ones coming to me no matter what company there's always a risk. I'm sure parcel companies are trying to get there act more together.

Another vote here for UPS/Interparcel. Loads of basses, no problem. I do have a large supply of bubblewrap and cardboard though.

It's worth noting the insurance only covers if the bass is in a hard case. So probably not worth buying unless it goes missing; so it's a total loss and who's to know. But that's never happened to me.

With respect to deliveries going missing, I'm fussy about what countries I post to - developed countries only. No deals with guys in wooden huts on dusty hills. :P