Why become a member? ×

New amp decision to make

mikegatward

TH for me... but if if you want a bit more grindey then the PF500 works well with those cabs, IMO. ( included because it is light enough
as opposed to adhering strictly to the criteria.).. but also, for me, I wouldn't put it in front of TH500 anyway
Having said that, those cabs seem to work with many amps.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='mikegatward' timestamp='1452605201' post='2951503']
Decided to replace my Streamliner 900 and go for a lightweight all solid state amp to run my 2 TKS S112 cabs but am spoilt for choice between:
Mesa Boogie subway
Tonehammer 500
Tecamp Puma 900
Any recommendations ?
[/quote]

What is it about the streamliner your trying to improve on ?.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1452609481' post='2951587']

What is it about the streamliner your trying to improve on ?.
[/quote]

Ditto this question; also thought the Mesa Boogie was similar to the Streamliner in that it has valve preamp and Class D power amp so not really a massive difference other than for the sake of it?

Edit - just read your reply! Preamp valve failure is such a rarity as to not be worth worrying about. No more or less likely than a power capacitor failure for example.

Edited by Merton

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1452614345' post='2951679']
Preamp valve failure is such a rarity as to not be worth worrying about. No more or less likely than a power capacitor failure for example.
[/quote]

Agreed, in a well designed circuit a low power valve should be very reliable, you would have to be pretty paranoid to change and amp just for this reason.

EDIT - if your really dead set on a solid state amp that does a decent valvey drive sound then I'd look at the likes of Tech 21 VTB500 and TC RH series.

Edited by bassman7755

Talkbassers are wetting themselves over the Mesa, great reviews, looks like a solid choice. Not seen any reviews of the Magellan yet? A Darkglass amp is on the horizon too. The Tech21 VT500 is great value though, and the fact you can turn the blend all the way to clean to just have a transparent(ish) amp with EQ is a boon.

I'm considering the VT myself, would love the Mesa but then again it is twice the price and difficult to get hold of at the moment!

I have the Puma900....it's very clean compared to a Streamliner....
no grit in the pre.

I thought I had a very clean sound but I'm now on the hunt for a subtle valve pedal...

If you go to the Puma then you'll likely be doing the same before long, i suspect.

I've been extremely happy using the original (and best) Puma 500 for a few years now. I think it sounds fat, loud, and can even sound gritty (NOT distorted or overdriven) - probably as a result of the basses I use.

I ordered a Subway 800 today and it should be here for Fri. We have band practice on Tue so I'll let you know what I think then. I'll be using a Tecamp M212. My normal practice rig is an SWR 350 chrome face and 2 Yamaha 2x12's and that sounds amazing - not used the Tecamp rig apart from gigs for a while - I'll do a swap halfway through to compare Puma/Subway and maybe even the 350 as well.

Should be interesting as our guitarist uses a Triaxis/2:Ninety setup so he'll be happy with the Mesa, although the Subway should be lighter than his setup - here's his 2:Ninety on my workbench:

[attachment=209540:1970401_10152007847011448_2123211984_n.jpg]

Keep your eyes and ears open!

D.

Edited by deksawyer

• 1 month later...

A lot of talk around the amps I've been looking at, not had chance to play most of them yet, but reviews are looking promising
The Genzler Mogadon seems to be a good, non valve option, as does the subway, but the price is +£100 over the Genzler right now. I was originally looking at a TH500, but there is some good competition out there now

Tony

As you know the Streamliner you would immediately feel at home with the Magellan. Add in two switchable channels and 2 variable contour options to tailor the response to scooped or old-school and you have a really versatile set of options. If proves as reliable ss my Shuttle and Streamliner then for my needs it is just about perfect.

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1455794705' post='2982451']
A lot of talk around the amps I've been looking at, not had chance to play most of them yet, but reviews are looking promising
The Genzler Mogadon seems to be a good, non valve option, as does the subway, but the price is +£100 over the Genzler right now. I was originally looking at a TH500, but there is some good competition out there now

Tony
[/quote]

Damn, you had me looking for a new Genzler amp model!!! :lol: