Why become a member? ×

Strap Locks

gs_triumph

Guys n gals,

I have an ibanez atk 800 recently purchased through the forums here.

I wanted to put strap locks on it so ordered 'no bull' locks of the bay.

However on unscrewing the existing strap button I can see the screws are much thicker than those supplied with the no bull locks. The screws from the bass don't fit through the lock buttons.

Does anyone manufacture locks with bigger screws?

Cheers

I only really wasn't the strap locks as i need to detach the strap to fit the bass in its case. I'm thinking the eyes on the strap will get trashed fairly quickly when being attached and unattached every time I play.

Bottle washers won't solve the problem unfortunately 😒

Edited by gs_triumph

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1452105700' post='2946508']
I'm not sure of the actual answer to your question but I had this issue when changing strap buttons. I just filled the hole with wood and then screwed in the smaller screw and its rock solid now.
[/quote]

Not keen on bastardising my new bass just yet... Might come to that tho

Cheers
G.

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1452165651' post='2947123']

Not keen on bastardising my new bass just yet... Might come to that tho

Cheers
G.
[/quote]

No bastardisation required. Just put a matchstick or toothpick in the screw hole and break it off then screw in the smaller screw. Job done!

This[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1452169340' post='2947171']
No bastardisation required. Just put a matchstick or toothpick in the screw hole and break it off then screw in the smaller screw. Job done!
[/quote]

I just looked at the [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]'No Bull' locks on Google (they look like Schaller clones) and the screws do look very thin, so the toothpick/matchstick fix is the way forward IMO.[/color][/font]

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1452200995' post='2947630']
Match sticks deployed!

Is it normal for strap locks to rattle? Quite annoying. Guess I'll get used to it.

Cheers guys
[/quote]Yes, Schaller types do rattle significantly.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1452242532' post='2947876']
Cocktail sticks (harder wood) are better than matchsticks (softer wood).

I think Schaller straplocks now come with two sizes of screw; i.e. a pair of larger ones too.
[/quote]

Indeed they do. A pair of 'standard' length, and an extra long pair. Referring to an earlier post, they shouldn't rattle when you've got the bass on, if they're fitted properly. I can't comment on other makes.

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1452270206' post='2948369']
They rattle a little when sat down. Not at all with the weight of the bass on them.

I couldn't get cocktail sticks in any of the local ' convenience' stores... Not very convenient!
[/quote]

I'm now picturing all the poor unfortunate dinner jacketted toffs in your area sipping martinis with the olive speared on a Swan Vesta!

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1452102399' post='2946448']
Guys n gals,

I have an ibanez atk 800 recently purchased through the forums here.

I wanted to put strap locks on it so ordered 'no bull' locks of the bay.

However on unscrewing the existing strap button I can see the screws are much thicker than those supplied with the no bull locks. The screws from the bass don't fit through the lock buttons.

Does anyone manufacture locks with bigger screws?

Cheers
[/quote]

I used to use Schaller and it was the same story. Usually I could use the original screws, 'though but sometimes I could not, and it was toothpick+glue time. Fill the hole with a toothpick and wood glue, and fit the new screw in.

To be honest, I've long since moved away from straplocks and now I favour rubber rings, like those on Grolsch beer bottles. They do the job very well, in fact I prefer them now.