Why become a member? ×

The best 1 cab solution?

Guinness21

I don't currently have a cab I can gig with, and have been doing for my homework for a few months now. It's safe to say that I've been overthinking this decision :facepalm:

I'm looking to have my cake and eat it - I want good sound dispersion in a one cab solution. I know from a sound dispersion perspective it makes most sense to run 2 cabs, but I don't want to be faffing around with trollies and 2 cabs will require multiple trips to the car to get all my gear into a venue.

I want a cab that can handle decent sized venues, and something light enough and shaped in a way that I can lift myself (e.g. the Markbass 104hf is too square for me to carry myself). I've been to bass direct and tried out the Bergantino CN212 and the Vanderkley 212MNT amongst other things. I know the Berg HD cabs are meant to sound nicer than the CN's, but then I probably couldn't lift the HD by myself. Would have like to have tried the Baer ML212 but they didn't have one in stock and rarely do. I started a thread about my thoughts on what I tried so won't go into it, essentially the Bergantino CN212 came out on top. At the time I couldn't afford to buy one but was in the process of saving. Now I can, and I'm just having butterflies about my decision.

Is it the best cab by itself to play reasonable gigs? I definitely prefer the sound of 12's over 10's, so not sure I really fancy running two 2x10's. I haven't explored 4x10's too much (mainly because I couldn't move them about by myself, or if I could I'd have to do multiple trips to the car). 4x10's I have tried are the Markbass 104HF and the Berg CN410 aren't felt disappointed by both (both are good cabinets though, so maybe it's just that I don't like the sound of 10's speakers). I'm 6'2, will the CN212 be playing to the back of my knees?

2x12 sounds like the good choice for you, then just pick your brand (I'd look at tks).

You should be able to hear one fine (unless you're sat on it) though you could always tilt it back on a stand if needed.

Edited by Lw.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1451686112' post='2942549']
I don't currently have a cab I can gig with, and have been doing for my homework for a few months now. It's safe to say that I've been overthinking this decision :facepalm:

I'm looking to have my cake and eat it - I want good sound dispersion in a one cab solution. I know from a sound dispersion perspective it makes most sense to run 2 cabs, but I don't want to be faffing around with trollies and 2 cabs will require multiple trips to the car to get all my gear into a venue.

I want a cab that can handle decent sized venues, and something light enough and shaped in a way that I can lift myself (e.g. the Markbass 104hf is too square for me to carry myself). I've been to bass direct and tried out the Bergantino CN212 and the Vanderkley 212MNT amongst other things. I know the Berg HD cabs are meant to sound nicer than the CN's, but then I probably couldn't lift the HD by myself. Would have like to have tried the Baer ML212 but they didn't have one in stock and rarely do. I started a thread about my thoughts on what I tried so won't go into it, essentially the Bergantino CN212 came out on top. At the time I couldn't afford to buy one but was in the process of saving. Now I can, and I'm just having butterflies about my decision.

Is it the best cab by itself to play reasonable gigs? I definitely prefer the sound of 12's over 10's, so not sure I really fancy running two 2x10's. I haven't explored 4x10's too much (mainly because I couldn't move them about by myself, or if I could I'd have to do multiple trips to the car). 4x10's I have tried are the Markbass 104HF and the Berg CN410 aren't felt disappointed by both (both are good cabinets though, so maybe it's just that I don't like the sound of 10's speakers). I'm 6'2, will the CN212 be playing to the back of my knees?
[/quote]

Will you need a cab that can carry your bass without PA support, and in what kind of venues?

If you don't need PA support, the choices are numerous and I'd stay away from 410s (heavy).
I'd probably get a decent 2x12 cab (if you don't want separate 1x12s). There are quite a few options and many are very portable. I'm not sure what kind of gigs you do, but I have never needed more than a 2x12" with a 500W amp, as anything larger than a small bar will have the bass through the PA. I have sometimes played venues like community centres etc without PA, and the 2x12" + 500W amp was enough. Not earth-shattering, but it sounded pretty good (I had a wireless so I was able to check around the room).

Thanks for all he feedback guys, like I said I think I've found the cabinet for me but just had some last-minute nerves. Musashimonkey, may I be struck down where I stand but I don't like the sound of Barefaced cabs, tried a super twin at GBBL and it just wasn't for me. Lw. I know of cab stands but I've only seen them used with small cabs, o you know of anything I could use with the CN212 if I had to use a stand?

As we did a cab shoot-out at the SE Bass Bash, the overwhelming winner was the Berg CN212 - and there`s one on here at present very reasonably priced. Seems most are recommending this one and having had the pleasure of using one in said shoot-out, I can see why.

Re raising the cab, well I`m 6ft, and in my DMs which I wear for gigging at least 6ft1 and I never need to raise my Barefaced Super 12T in order to hear it, so would think that with a cab with the quality of the Berg, it`s sound dispersion should be equivalent. I did for a while place the cab on top of the case I use to carry my amp/leads about but it made no real difference to the sound, so I stopped.

The case in question is this one:

http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/industry/product.asp?item=boschma-utility-briefcase-flight-case-8137-9453

Having used a CN212 live on many occasions indoor and outdoor both with and without p/a I never felt the need to use a stand, a gramma pad maybe on Hollow floors but never a stand.
Paired with a puma 900 it just kills!

I've been through a few cabs recently - and although I prefer two cabs, the best single cab solution IMO is a Markbass [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Traveler 102p cab (2x10 plus tweeter), in the 4ohm version - to pull a decent load into the one cab.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Rated at 400w if memory serves.[/font][/color]

I'd go & try out all the cabs.
The difference in DB between a 4x10 & a 2x12 is very little. The 2x12 has 3 advantages though: slightly smaller cab (though slightly taller), slightly lighter & far better dispersion. But then it's down to which one you like the sound of best.
If the cab of choice has 4 & 8 ohm versions, have a listen to both. Just because you want a one cab solution doesn't mean that you need 4 ohm to get all the power, there's little in the way of extra DB.

I have a 4ohm Markbass NY122. It is literally is all the cab I'll ever need. Clear and punchy with plenty of bottom end, for £520 it's unbeatable. Not in Berg territory but was the best of the mid priced ones I tried ( 2x12's).

Edited by 40hz

I think with the right amp and eq most cabs can sound close to what you want. All cabs have their own voice as do amps and guitars, and the CN212... has a great voice especially after a few hours of break in. The trick is pairing gear to optimise the rig to your tastes.
I only sold my CN212 because I wanted to go modular, I found even at 20 kg lifting and twisting a tall cab into my car was just a little too much for my 5"6 ageing frame!

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1451696782' post='2942642']
That's may mind made up, thanks for reassuring me guys.
[/quote]

I'd throw TKS in there and I'd go for 2xS112's...as they are pretty much as light as it gets but they are still ceramic
which gets you away from NEO.

I do rate the CN range but the S112 beats it for character and all round tone, IMO.

Which is why I bought them.

2x S112 and I've never had so many comments about them. Expensive way to go about things, but singles
always are when paired. The gain over a 212 is that they are so light, one in each hand is a doddle and if your back
is really shot, then 10kgs is lighter than a fair few amps.

If we are talking single 12's then The op mentioned the Vanderkley 212. Might be worth a look at the 112 mnt, it is a beast of a 112 rated at 600 watts @8 ohms. I have a pair with a puma 900 and they totally kick ass plus are a really easy lift. They are bigger than the Berg 112 (which I always felt struggled on their own at a gig) the mnt delivers some serious output and depth of tone.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1451711772' post='2942671']
You'll get loads of different recommendations for this of course, but mine would be to look into the TKS S212.

Light, well-built, great tone with lovely mids.
[/quote]

The problem is I'd have to travel to Bass Gear to try the TKS out, it's kind of difficult to justify the travelling costs when I'm increasingly confident that the cn212 is the right choice.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1451749939' post='2943094']
Ampeg fridge and a new weightlifting hobby?
[/quote]
Have to say that although I recommend the CN212, I had the pleasure of using an Ampeg fridge powered with an Orange terror 1000 on a gig recently and it was total bass heaven.