Why become a member? ×

Fave punk and new wave players

kevvo66

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1449919119' post='2927931']
Dee Dee Ramone.

The fist time I heard the Ramones I thought to myself 'ah, so that's how it's done'.It wasn't long after that that I picked up my first bass.
[/quote]

As far as I'm concerned Dee Dee was a genius.

If we're including more recent punk I'd throw these in there:
Chris #2 - Anti-Flag
Matt Freeman - Rancid
Mike Dirnt - Green Day
Andrew Seward - Against Me!

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1449922304' post='2927984']
I would argue Sting had nothing to do with Punk and New Wave, other than being a blatant band wagon jumper, and add Steven Severin of Siouxsie and the Banshees.Who is not very well at the moment.
[/quote]For a 'bandwagon jumper' he ain't half survived whilst the other wagons are broken.

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1449923985' post='2928011']
Danny Baker would argue that the main reaction was against the likes of ELO, Queen, Sad Cafe, Rod Stewart (in his Britt period) et al who were all in the charts at the time.

The Police in with new wave is a valid point, though as someone else said it does feel slightly bandwagon-y. Their label, A&M, marketed them as new wave, also launching Squeeze under the same banner (both acts had singles on coloured vinyl at the time, which denoted a certain 'edginess' and added to any new wave credentials!)..
[/quote]I was about to use a Danny Baker quote; he said something like music wasn't broken in '76 - there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1450003471' post='2928626']
As far as I'm concerned Dee Dee was a genius.

If we're including more recent punk I'd throw these in there:
Chris #2 - Anti-Flag
Matt Freeman - Rancid
Mike Dirnt - Green Day
Andrew Seward - Against Me!
[/quote]

Dee Dee was a fan of the Bay City Rollers...

Just another mention to the great late mick Kahn of Japan , forget Jaco what's his face , that how you play fretless bass wal never seen play anything else , I know there where classed as New Romantics but thought I'd get him in there , yes I also know adolescent sex their first album was more rocky

Edited by kevvo66

I've never heard of half of these people. Not sure any truly punk players have contributed vastly to the combined dictionary of electric bass patterns. Maybe Jean Jack Burnell with the riff to Peaches on the Beaches and one or two others (some Oeter Hook parts spring to mind).

Surely punk, perhaps more so than most genres, is all about the overall group sound rather than any of its individual components.

Edited by drTStingray

The specials , think they were more ska but they were very good all the same 😺 Just going back too the stranglers I had older brothers who were into all that sort of music I was lucky really has my parents let them take me so I saw them on the Raven tour and a lot of other great bands in my early teens 😺😺

Edited by kevvo66

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1450038372' post='2929105']
The specials , think they were more ska but they were very good all the same 😺
[/quote]

I think you're right on both - most of the bass parts in the ska bands of that era were great IMO - couldn't say the same for punk though!

I'll also add my best wishes to Steve Severin for a speedy recovery..

Was only listening to 'Jigsaw Feeling' from The Banshees first album yesterday.. Brilliant!

These were my favourite bass players from the New Wave, post-Punk era .. Not saying they're better than anyone else mentioned, just the ones who's playing I enjoyed, admired, aspired to etc..

Leigh Gorman (Adam & The Ants/BowWowWow)
Barry Adamson ((Magazine)
Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads)
Bruce Foxton (The Jam)
Bruce Thomas (Elvis Costello & The Attractions)
Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols)
Peter Hook (Joy Division)

I also liked the guy from Killing Joke, but can't remember his name.. And loved the guy's playing in The Specials too.

Yes agreed yes I now the pistols did God save the queen before anyone says anything I never really got the anarchist stuff like crass and such like ,discharge I think that killed the whole movement and most off us moved with our fave band ,then again most punk bands by that time had developed into more new wavey pop sort of genre 😄

Edited by kevvo66

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1450039470' post='2929115']
Yes agreed yes I now the pistols did God save the queen before anyone says anything I never really got the anarchist stuff like crass and such like ,discharge I think that killed the whole movement and most off us moved with our fave band ,then again most punk bands by that time had developed into more new wavey pop sort of genre
[/quote]absolutely, the thing about the early punk stuff was that they were good melodic pop songs played faster and simpler, when Crass, Discharge and the like came along it was just shouty shouty with not much of a melody in there, never really got it, unfortunately mention punk to some people and that what they think it's all about, when originally it wasn't. The Ramones songs are all about the melody line

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1450033669' post='2929014']
I've never heard of half of these people.
[/quote]

Well, take the suggestions as a starting point then. If not, then stay in your Jazz/Fusion ghetto.

Not sure any truly punk players have contributed vastly to the combined dictionary of electric bass patterns. Maybe Jean Jack Burnell with the riff to Peaches on the Beaches and one or two others (some Oeter Hook parts spring to mind).
[/quote]

That's because unlike Jazz/Fusion and its ilk, it's not about improvisation (or more accurately being able to apply a bit of theory in order to endlessly noodle over a couple of standard chord progressions). Take the debut album by New Model Army - there's more invention in the bass parts on that than the entire back catalogue of any Jazz/Fusion outfit.

Surely punk, perhaps more so than most genres, is all about the overall group sound rather than any of its individual components.
[/quote]

Quite possibly, but that may be because Jazz/Fusion was about providing a platform to show off with tedious displays of what's then passed of as virtuosity, rather than true invention. Many punk and particularly new wave bands were looking for something new, having tired of the bloated pomposity of coke fuelled mid 70s dross.

Edited by chriswareham

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1450052965' post='2929241']

Well, take the suggestions as a starting point then. If not, then stay in your Jazz/Fusion ghetto.

That's because unlike Jazz/Fusion and its ilk, it's not about improvisation (or more accurately being able to apply a bit of theory in order to endlessly noodle over a couple of standard chord progressions). Take the debut album by New Model Army - there's more invention in the bass parts on that than the entire back catalogue of any Jazz/Fusion outfit.

Quite possibly, but that may be because Jazz/Fusion was about providing a platform to show off with tedious displays of what's then passed of as virtuosity, rather than true invention. Many punk and particularly new wave bands were looking for something new, having tired of the bloated pomposity of coke fuelled mid 70s dross.
[/quote]

You have some strange assumptions in your post - I've never played in a jazz/fusion band. I have played a good bit of punk and new wave though!!

Each genre has its own tedium for some - punk with its displays of anger and aggression (much of it put on it seemed to me in the gigs I went to in 1977). Status Quo playing similarly straightforward music to a different formula which some might call tedious after a while - some people may say folk rock is all fiddley didley and country and western is root and fifth with one or two song themes throughout - all ways of saying it's not for me, but putting the genre down in a gross generalisation.

I'm a bit of an old sceptic - I always thought some of the punk bands were rather like the Simon Cowell and the ilk manufactured pop - just that the manufacturers wore 'hip' clothes of the genre etc - it was a genre with the fashions to go with it - I thought the groups/movement rebelled against the bloated pomp of the late 70s prog rock (although I believe at least one famous exponent, on bumping into Phil Collins at an airport, admitted to admiring Genesis!!).

Edited by drTStingray

[i]drTStingray, on 13 December 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:[/i]

[i]Surely punk, perhaps more so than most genres, is all about the overall group sound rather than any of its individual components[/i]....

(Sorry the quote button isn't working)

I'm not too fussed about the genre good music is good music. But for me the guys that I mentioned - Jah Wobble especially made me want to pick up a bass.