Why become a member? ×

Fave punk and new wave players

kevvo66

This following on the sid vicious thread,I'll start sting great with the police walking on the moon brilliant ,Paul simonon the clash seeing as he learnt has he went along London calling one of the first bass lines I learnt I love it and always will I always warm my hands with it before playing gigs or anything else bass related these guy made me pick the bass up in the first place love their bass lines and always will

Edited by kevvo66

Dee Dee Ramone.

The first time I heard the Ramones I thought to myself 'ah, so that's how it's done'.It wasn't long after that that I picked up my first bass. I suspect that I'm one of a great many who cut their bass playing teeth playing along to Dee Dee' s lines.

25 or so years on my musical tastes have broadened somewhat, but the Ramones are just about the only band I liked as a teenager that I still listen to regularly.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1449922304' post='2927984']
I would argue Sting had nothing to do with Punk and New Wave, other than being a blatant band wagon jumper, and add Steven Severin of Siouxsie and the Banshees.Who is not very well at the moment.
[/quote]

If you buy into the idea that punk was a reaction against the overblown musical virtuosity of bands like Led Zep,The Who & Pink Floyd in favour of a bunch of kids picking up instruments and playing their first gigs a few days later then The Police probably don't belong.

I'd definitely allow them in as part of the 'New Wave' though.

I suspect that like most things musical labels are largely down to personal interpretation.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1449922909' post='2927990']
If you buy into the idea that punk was a reaction against the overblown musical virtuosity of bands like Led Zep,The Who & Pink Floyd in favour of a bunch of kids picking up instruments and playing their first gigs a few days later then The Police probably don't belong.

I suspect that like most things musical labels are largely down to personal interpretation.
[/quote]

I suppose that would depend on your definition of New Wave, but as you've rightly said that is a matter of personal interpretation.

How far in timescale can we go before we open the debate of what is and isn't punk?
Although I'm sure aseemingly innocent thread wouldn't descend into a school playground bitching contest on here :D

So with that in mind I'm going to nominate Matt Freeman and Fat Mike, both firm favourites with me.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1449922909' post='2927990']

[/quote]
Danny Baker would argue that the main reaction was against the likes of ELO, Queen, Sad Cafe, Rod Stewart (in his Britt period) et al who were all in the charts at the time.

The Police in with new wave is a valid point, though as someone else said it does feel slightly bandwagon-y. Their label, A&M, marketed them as new wave, also launching Squeeze under the same banner (both acts had singles on coloured vinyl at the time, which denoted a certain 'edginess' and added to any new wave credentials!)..

Edited by Old Man Riva

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1449922304' post='2927984']
I would argue Sting had nothing to do with Punk and New Wave, other than being a blatant band wagon jumper...
[/quote]

There are a lot of people who would be on that list, many of them already mentioned. Many of them were playing in pub rock bands & just jumped on the punk bandwagon when they saw there might be a bit of cash in it.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1449924168' post='2928012']

There are a lot of people who would be on that list, many of them already mentioned. Many of them were playing in pub rock bands & just jumped on the punk bandwagon when they saw there might be a bit of cash in it.
[/quote]
Indeed. And a number of the players mentioned and their fellow band members were fans of the bands they were supposedly rallying against - The Pistols liked Rod & the Faces and The Who; Mick Jones was a fan of Zeppelin and Mott the Hoople - which is maybe where Danny Baker's notion comes from?

But that's probably one for another day!