Why become a member? ×

Stingray prices still falling?

Hamster

I've been looking for a black Stingray for a while, and whilst waiting I put in a lowish bid on a 1997 teal SR4 on evilbay, not expecting to win it - but I did :)

[attachment=13268:c988_1.JPG] [attachment=13269:0058_1.JPG] [attachment=13270:d790_1.JPG] [attachment=13271:e4c4_1.JPG] [attachment=13272:f298_1.JPG]

Not my first body/neck finish choice, but a reasonable score at £488 :huh:

Was it anyone on here selling?

Hamster

Edited by Hamster

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='282738' date='Sep 12 2008, 04:05 PM']That's gorgeous Colin- my favourite finish on a Stingray.

Good effort and great price!![/quote]

Thanks Nick :) I haven't collected it yet but the teal's growing on me. Hard to tell but the wood grain looks reasonable. Maybe the black scratchplate makes the body a bit dark? Maybe a maple neck?

I was after a black Stingray to gig with as I have a black Sub4 which would become my back up - probably just OCD or advanced analism on my part!

I can feel a "which scratchplate" thread coming on :huh: and maybe a "wanted - SR4 maple neck" in the wanted forum :wacko:

GIT!!! THAT WAS YOU? GRRRRRRRRRR

Agh, i was really thinking about bidding on that one last night, but i didn't have the money. that's just ridiculous :) Grats though mate.

Also i got an email from reverb, they're selling NEW rays for £750 in a sale... that aint gonna be good for people with theirs on ebay, as you can see. I think the time to buy is now. Which is a shame because i dont have any money and i'm having to sell my G&L (i know i only just got it) to buy a new pc :huh: Agh.

Ok I just edited 3 posts to remove the unnecessary quoting of the original post and all of the pics ! I'm probably being grumpy though :).

Amazing amazing score on the Stingray, under £500 is shocking. I thought I valued mine low at £650 but this is bad news for anyone selling, great for buying !

It's crazy. I sold mine for £650 and I thought that was cheap.

They're unquestionably superb basses, I just don't get why they're out of favour right now, and Warwicks too, it's mad.

Personally, if I was selling one now, I'd refuse to let it go for less than £600 minimum, I'd just hang on to it. Depends how desparate folks sre for the cash I guess.

I reckon the prices have dropped about £100 in the last couple of months for SR4/Sterling 4H's. I deffo think they are undervalued at the mo, but then again MIA Jazzes and P's are also down (Std S1 P's in good nick seem to be down around 4-450 against 500 this time last year). One thing to consider tho is out of the 4000 or so memebrs on BC, maybe only 2/3 of those are active and only half of those on the GAS trail so the money pool is small compared with the bay. So if you can be arsed and have the time then maybe the bay it is and get the favourable response MarkyTB had.
I sold my 2004 St4 a few months back for £650 and the best offer I had on my 2005 SR4 recently was £550. At that point I guess you have to be pretty GAS'ed up to sell. Fortunately I wasn't ^_^

All that said tho, that was a pretty good score H.

Edited by martthebass

£488!!!

BARGIN!

I remember about 2 years ago wanting a ray. And prices being 850-950 2nd hand. Bagged one as cheep as I could possibly get one and I think it was £650, which at the time was a massive bargin. (cheers chrisdabass) but a 'ray going for under 500??? thats stupid. I blame most of the current bands, looks like they are all playing P basses at the mo, and there is a massive want/need for them. Also blame the ressession too. Definatly a buyers market. I might have to buy a few and wait a few years :)

'rays are my favorite bass. better then anything fender has on the shelf, plus the build quality is 2nd to none. The amount of fenders ive picked up in shops which have had problems with stright out of the box. its untrue.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='284858' date='Sep 16 2008, 11:19 AM']I blame most of the current bands, looks like they are all playing P basses at the mo, and there is a massive want/need for them.[/quote]
+1. I think fashion plays a large part. They're currently out of fashion - it's a good time to buy.

Anyone got a 30th anniversary they want to sell to me for £488? ;-)

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='284870' date='Sep 16 2008, 11:34 AM']If only I had the money.[/quote]

I have no choice but to keep it now, especially since Reverb have come along and just wiped out half of the value of it.

To think I'd have sold this in a heartbeat not so long ago, especially with the model I have :)

Looks like teal isn't the most desirable colour... [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Musicman-Sterling-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ280265831901QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280265831901&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A2|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Musicman-Sterling-Ba...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Edit: Maybe due to low feedback?

Edited by TimmyC

[quote name='Rayman' post='282818' date='Sep 12 2008, 06:08 PM']It's crazy. I sold mine for £650 and I thought that was cheap.

They're unquestionably superb basses, I just don't get why they're out of favour right now, and Warwicks too, it's mad.

Personally, if I was selling one now, I'd refuse to let it go for less than £600 minimum, I'd just hang on to it. Depends how desparate folks sre for the cash I guess.[/quote]

It is crazy! I don't think that Stingrays and Warwicks are becoming out of favour per say. They are still selling. I think that people are just expecting to pay less for them, especially with the descreasing disposable income people are seeming to have these days.

One of the first MM I fell in love with was the 20th Ann edition. Maple with tort guard. They come up occasionally (I think there is one at eBay at the moment...) but I've never been in the right mood to pull the trigger... normally because I am looking at other tasty basses at the same time... plus it's going to take some bass to turn me off my GBs.

Anyway, yeah, the low prices are tempting... especially if I can find a graphite neck to put on one of them!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='TimmyC' post='284882' date='Sep 16 2008, 11:42 AM']Looks like teal isn't the most desirable colour... [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Musicman-Sterling-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ280265831901QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280265831901&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A2|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Musicman-Sterling-Ba...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Edit: Maybe due to low feedback?[/quote]

I v e r y nearly put in a bid on that one too! Got to buy a new laptop though :)