Why become a member? ×

Best company for delivery/shipping - Any advice

doc40hz

Hi there,

Just wondering who people would recommend for sending a bass around the country - cost is not too much of an issue, don't mind paying a bit more. I have JayDee Supernatural that needs a re-fret and am thinking of sending it down to JayDee in Birmingham rather than letting the local guy do it. Any suggestions? I know some companies insurance doesn't cover musical instruments.

Cheers guys

I usually use the interparcel.com site and usually book UPS. They insure for musical instruments and seem really reliable. You can also log in and see a signature of the person who signed for the delivery.

I used DPD for sending some books to France. It took them 3 days to come and collect. Then it only happened because I phoned and complained. Won't use them again in a hurry.

Having had bad experiences with DPD and several others, I always use Parcelforce with whom I have only had one poor experience of lateness and then they refunded.

I never waste money on 'probably will never pay out' insurance.

Others will tell you how useless Parcelforce are.

Oh well.

Edited by EssentialTension

Never had a problem with DPD, wouldn't touch Parcelforce with a JayDee because the insurance would be invalid.
Personally with a JayDee I'd plan well ahead and get a cheap train ticket and hotel (if necessary) and make the trip with it myself, John's always very welcoming to customers. I've done that from Edinburgh when JayDee rewired my John Birch. One time I went Mark King "popped in" and if I'd been there two days before John told me I'd have met Tony Iommi.

Interparcel, as most others say...I prefer Parcelforce personally - their depot is 10 minutes up the road so I can collect if I miss the delivery. I've had bad experiences with UPS so would give them another penny of my money. As others have said don't bother with Insurance as musical instruments are always exempt.

As I've said before, a delivery service is only as good as its weakest link.

I can't buy stuff from Bass Direct any more because they will only use APC the ship the large items and the APC depot in Nottingham is totally useless - one collection that never turned up to collect and two deliveries that stuck cards through my door when I was in, rather than actually deliver the parcels.

IME unless you are shipping something fairly small but very expensive, UPS via Interparcel always works out cheaper than Parcel Force.

And Interparcel's insurance does work. I've had to make two claims (over 5 years and several hundred parcels sent) and both were paid without any fuss. One was for a parcel that went missing, and the other was for an item that was damaged in transit. So insurance is worth paying for.

What I will say it that you should make sure that anything you send is well packed. That means if you don't have a hard case for your bass then it needs to be double-boxed and well padded inside both boxes, and if you do have a hard case, bubble-wrap it and pad it inside the delivery box.

HTH.

Edited by BigRedX

It really depends on where you're shipping it to.
Since I moved to Perth 8 1/2 years ago, I've never had parcel farce deliver to my door yet. Phoned them & complained several times. Had cards through my door telling me the parcel is at the local post office, only to go there & be informed that they've no idea what I'm talking about & then found out that it's actually back at the farce's sorting office (on more than 1 occasion).

I always used to use Direct Courier Solutions (they supposedly specialize in shipping guitars and the like but in reality you get interlink express turn up to collect your parcel and they ram it in the van any old how) but they smashed up a bass I was sending and then refused to pay out insurance and got really sh*tty via email when I complained I think UPS seems to get the best reviews but IMO I think they all try and worm the way out of paying out claims.