Why become a member? ×

DV247

12stringbassist

The TASCAM DP24SD is a fantastic 24 track recording unit. I have been using one at my mate's house and we are getting fantastic results. Inspired by our success, I bought one myself on October 10th and, a couple of emails later, am still awaiting a suitable UK power supply as it comes with a two-prong European supply. I am bothered about trying to use it with that.

To cap it all, yesterday I was sent a kettle lead - which doesn't fit. They are appropriately apologetic about this. My mate went through the same process to get a UK supply for his. I know that DV247 are doing their best, but this is not really good enough.

I would recommend that you buy one from somewhere else and note in your order that you need a UK power supply with it. I can't remember the last time I spent this much money to sit fuming at a new product.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1447330564' post='2906730']
About 2 quid will buy you a European to uk mains adaptor. I'd get one of those until they can sort you the proper one out.
[/quote]

see pic - its a 9v centre positive, not a kettle lead- thats the problem , not the other end?

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1447420383' post='2907535']
see pic - its a 9v centre positive, not a kettle lead- thats the problem , not the other end?
[/quote]

If I'm reading the original post correctly the kettle lead was the replacement they sent, the original 12v power supply is a European one which, as a couple of people have said, you can buy an adaptor for for a few quid.

Edited by RhysP

Wall wart power supplies are at best a nuisance and having to use an adaptor with one because it's the wrong model isn't going to make it any more reliable.

I was under the impression that UK consumer law requires electrical goods to be sold with the correct mains plug fitted, which means that at the very lest DV247 should have supplied a suitable adaptor with the device when they originally shipped it out, like Thomann do. However what they should have done is to supply a proper UK power supply with a UK mains plug on it in the first place.

My concern would be that this unit is actually a grey import (after all if it was a legitimate UK model it would have come with a proper UK PSU) and that should anything go wrong with it the OP may find themselves having serious problems getting it put right under warranty. Personally I'd be getting in touch with TASCAM directly and finding out exactly what the situation was and if I didn't get a reassuring answer returning the device to DV247 for a refund.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1447494722' post='2908006']
Wall wart power supplies are at best a nuisance and having to use an adaptor with one because it's the wrong model isn't going to make it any more reliable.

I was under the impression that UK consumer law requires electrical goods to be sold with the correct mains plug fitted, which means that at the very lest DV247 should have supplied a suitable adaptor with the device when they originally shipped it out, like Thomann do. However what they should have done is to supply a proper UK power supply with a UK mains plug on it in the first place.

My concern would be that this unit is actually a grey import (after all if it was a legitimate UK model it would have come with a proper UK PSU) and that should anything go wrong with it the OP may find themselves having serious problems getting it put right under warranty. Personally I'd be getting in touch with TASCAM directly and finding out exactly what the situation was and if I didn't get a reassuring answer returning the device to DV247 for a refund.
[/quote]

I wouldn't have thought that a company like DV247 would be selling grey imports.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1447593839' post='2908723']
I wouldn't have thought that a company like DV247 would be selling grey imports.
[/quote]

You would have thought, but I can't think of any other reason why something should come from a UK reseller with the wrong mains plug fitted.

Maybe they don't ship from Tascam with a UK mains plug. Maybe it's up to the retailer to throw in the adaptor like Thomanns do.
Do we know that the item does come with a different adaptor from other shops? Has anyone actualy spoken to Tascam or is it just a case of DV247 being gully without trial?

If it's a universal PSU then it will work over here without any problems wouldn't it?

DV247 ship everything from Germany. The last incarnation of the company went into a voluntary liquidation on a Sunday night and re-emerged as a new company the next day. The first the staff knew about it was when they arrived at work Monday morning to find the stores stripped of stock and the doors padlocked (apart from the Romford store). The stock was already on its way to a warehouse in Germany, and the company left loads of unpaid suppliers. Caused quite a scandal in the music equipment business world about two years ago.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1447630564' post='2909168']
DV247 ship everything from Germany. The last incarnation of the company went into a voluntary liquidation on a Sunday night and re-emerged as a new company the next day. The first the staff knew about it was when they arrived at work Monday morning to find the stores stripped of stock and the doors padlocked (apart from the Romford store). The stock was already on its way to a warehouse in Germany, and the company left loads of unpaid suppliers. Caused quite a scandal in the music equipment business world about two years ago.
[/quote]

The company have a large shop and warehouse in Romford Essex. I go there fairly regularly. I believe some items are shipped from there.

All online orders are shipped from Germany, as they pay less tax that way. The original owner also sold up his interest, and it's now a wholly German owned operation from what I've read. DV247 tried to put everyone else in the UK out of business by undercutting them, but hadn't reckoned with Thomann doing the same but with more resources and from a part of the EU where the taxis lower.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1447436088' post='2907712']

If I'm reading the original post correctly the kettle lead was the replacement they sent, the original 12v power supply is a European one which, as a couple of people have said, you can buy an adaptor for for a few quid.
[/quote]
That's also the way I read the thread up till now

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1447589191' post='2908662']
Over a months wait for a shaver adaptor, my god why not just send it back and shop elsewhere if you aren't going to spend less than £2 to get you up and running?
[/quote]
You can get two for a pound at the pound shop

AFAIAC Euro to UK mains adaptors are fine if you want to get a couple of your electrical devices working while you are on holiday on the continent for a week or two, but they have no place as a permanent solution for what is supposed to be a serious piece of musical equipment.

My understanding of the legislation regarding mains powered devices being sold for use in the UK is that they must come fitted with the appropriate UK mains plug. If you by something from Thomann it will come either with a second IEC mains lead fitted with a UK plug or a proper adaptor that fits permanently around the Euro plug and has to be unscrewed in order to remove it. This is an acceptable compromise IMO (although I will always remove any Euro plug from a captive mains lead and replace it with a proper UK one).

If DV247 can't supply equipment to the UK with a proper UK power supply or a permanent (screw fitted) Euro to UK adaptor, then they should be selling to the UK. If this had happened to me I would have been in touch with both trading standards and TASCAM by now. DV247 have had a chance to put things right. Now they deserve to be dripped in the sh*t.

I would contact DV247 & ask them if they'll pay for Tascam to send you one & then contact Tascam for one to be sent.
If they refuse, let them know you're returning the unit as "unfit for purpose" & get one elsewhere.

Virgin did something similar with me some years ago. Was supposed to get an HDMI cable with the V+ box. Called them several times with the promise that one would be sent. In the end they said "Go & buy one & send us the receipt", so I went to Comet & bought one for £70. They refunded me.

I wont use DV247 again personally. I rang up to check stock on an Epiphone hardcase for the Jack Casady which is rare as hens teeth in the UK. Was told categorically yes they did have one in stock and ordered it then and there. Waited, and waited and waited. About five days later rang to check my delivery. Told it was on back order from the manufacturer and who knows when I get it. Order cancelled, customer lost.