Why become a member? ×

Some more Bobby Vega. . .

chris_b

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1445960786' post='2895721']
He is a unique player. I've tried his pick technique and it's not easy. To make matters worse he also excels at fingerstyle, slap and chordal work. On top of that he comes over as a top fella. I hate him ;) :)
[/quote]

Can you describe his pick technique for a mere mortal. I have looked at as many of his videos as possible and I am in awe of him. Definitely one of my favourite bass players. And definitely my favourite bass player who isn't in a band I like.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1445971719' post='2895834']

Can you describe his pick technique for a mere mortal.
[/quote]Not really, as I can't do it right. There's a lot ghost noting where he's strumming the rhythm whilst letting the required notes 'speak' through. It's a lot like funk rhythm guitar as far as I can tell. Looks simple, but then again the hardest things often do.

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1445973719' post='2895870']
A lot of 'big name' player's stuff just doesn't appeal to me but this guy I could listen to all day long, sublime player.
[/quote]

+1

Too many of those name players are all about using music to showcase their technicality where as he seems to just be playing great, melodic, groovy music that happens to demonstrate excellent technique.
And again comes across as a really likable guy too.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1445972244' post='2895845']I get the feeling that he could be in any band and he would just play whatever was right for that band.[/quote]
Beautifully put, and (for me) probably the best compliment that can be paid to a player/musician.

And as others have said, he just seems like a really good guy..

Love Bobby Vega - he was a revelation to me: I'd always played with a pick, and tho I can get by with fingerstyle or even a bit of slap when I really have to, it's my default setting. When I started playing other styles of music outside the rock genre where I began, I'd very often play them with a pick, palm muting and adapting attack and tone to suit. BV was the first player I'd seen taking pick playing outside the box like he does, and it knocked me out. He sounds like no-one else, and that's a very very rare thing.

The fact that he's got everything else in spades is just the icing on the cake for me.