Why become a member? ×

"Seriously?".. albums you like, but you're flying solo...

The Admiral

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1445769081' post='2893931']

You need to get along to that support group "Jazz Funkaholics Anonymous"

My names Grassie, and I'm a Funkaholic.........
[/quote]
Ha! Sounds like an idea for a new thread. I'd like 7 Jamiroquai albums to be taken into consideration too...😁

Edited by Grassie

I don't own either anymore, but I owned both Alan Parsons' Eye In The Sky and Styx' Paradise Theater. I'm not proud of having owned either one of them. They're both terrible records.
My friends who had any sense gave me a hard time about those records. It turns out they were right. :unsure:

[quote name='Lo-E' timestamp='1445803312' post='2894390']
I don't own either anymore, but I owned both Alan Parsons' Eye In The Sky and Styx' Paradise Theater. I'm not proud of having owned either one of them. They're both terrible records.
My friends who had any sense gave me a hard time about those records. It turns out they were right. :unsure:
[/quote]

Paradise Theater is one of their best selling albums though, they even resurrected the whole thing in 1997 for a 'return to...' tour because of the remaining interest by fans. Think there are a lot of good songs on it well performed personally.

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1445854010' post='2894642']
Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled his feet.

Bought on the basis that I could actually sing along with the songs in the key they are written in, but full of quirky and fun songs with some nice basslines too
[/quote]
Nothing wrong with that album. Great production by one of the Talking Heads, bass sat in the middle of the mix nicely. Nineties classic. 😊

I got seriously into Billy Bragg when I was young. I can't stand the politics, but those old albums where it's just Billy and a guitar have some absolutely fantastic songs on them and most of it is teenage angst, and unrequited love rather than waving a red flag. Life's and Riot and Brewing Up with are the best, but Talking with The Taxman is really the first one with a "band" sound. Sadly it had all gone horribly wrong by 1990 and The Internationale. If anyone wants to know how to construct lyrics, start with the Bard of Barking, and A Lover Sings. Or listen to some later stuff like Tank Park Salute and tell me you're not moved by the words.

Edited by Nicko

Saw Gordon Rowley in 1981, by then he was in a band called Nightwing. Very distinctive, stage presence a bit like Ian Anderson and as you say he could certainly play. Sadly I think he is no longer with us...

Edited by KevB