Why become a member? ×

The Guys That Give Up, Why?

blue

$12000 or £8000 is pub level money as it is £160 per week.
A decent 4 piece would do that in pubs twice a week... BUT...you'd have to be at it
EVERY week which is where it becomes hard work.

But the top line figure means nothing unless you compare cost of living.

Over here, decent tour standard guys probably struggle to get much more than £20k consistantly.
I generally know who is earning what by the cars they drive :lol: so certainly not too close to £30k

And as an aside, a one hit wonder 60's band..with NO Original members and therefore no royalties, did a gig with us
2 years ago and they ALL had very nice new ( within 2 yrs old ) SUV/4x4;s ...and I bet they did it on the Butlins/cabaret circuit.

I guess that is why some guys give up...but only give up fulltime playing, not playing completely..

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1442945918' post='2870880']

Ok. From earlier where you said $100 a man minimum. But I see you're doing 3gigs a week and some gigs playing $500.

That's professional level gigging. Certainly not pub band territory.

As we noted earlier over here you'd be a working mans club / party / function band. The working men's clubs are close to 3+ hours.

That's not entry level startup band territory. Although if you have musicians who've played in bands before, like JTUK says, it could be a band put together. But then you'd be using people who haven't given up.

Strange thread.
[/quote]

The main difference is the fair & festival business we have during The summer in addition to bar gigs.

From what I'm reading, playing pub gigs is really different than a bar gigs.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1442957450' post='2870999']
I'm guessing pub gigs might be closer to coffee shop gigs. :D
[/quote]

I just don't get the only playing for 2 hours. That's just about when I'm getting warmed up.

I think I'll make the point that many of the bars we play are more like real music venues. Were playing a bar called Kim"s Lakeside. Really small place. People come there specifically to hear live bands.

Are bands more of an after thought or like background music at pubs?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1442949453' post='2870909']

From what I'm reading, playing pub gigs is really different than a bar gigs.

Blue
[/quote]
I'm guessing that US bar gigs are more like bar gigs in Holland / Northern Europe!

Actually, this thread is quite apt as the drummer in one of my bands announced that he was going to jack it in for a while at the gig on Sunday. His reasons for quitting (at least for a while) is that he is having to work shifts for the foreseeable future and, more importantly that his wife is struggling to recover from a serious operation. Something has to give and unfortunately (but understandably) it's committing to gigging regularly with a band…

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1442958403' post='2871011']

I just don't get the only playing for 2 hours. That's just about when I'm getting warmed up.

I think I'll make the point that many of the bars we play are more like real music venues. Were playing a bar called Kim"s Lakeside. Really small place. People come there specifically to hear live bands.

Blue
[/quote]
Depends on the pub! Virtually all the pub gigs that I play are where people come especially to see the band...

Funnily enough, I think that two hours is quite a long time for an audience to engage with and watch a performance by a band, unless of course they have loads of their albums! I would think that playing for four hours is more likely to make an audience treat the band as background music?

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1442958903' post='2871017']
Depends on the pub! Virtually all the pub gigs that I play are where people come especially to see the band...

Funnily enough, I think that two hours is quite a long time for an audience to engage with and watch a performance by a band, unless of course they have loads of their albums! I would think that playing for four hours is more likely to make an audience treat the band as background music?
[/quote]

Hi Pete,

No, not at all and this is where there might be a cultural difference. Not many stay for the whole 4 hours. The club will stay packed ok, but we get different crowds. The crowd were playing to at midnight is a different group of punters than those that were there at 9:00. When we play at Kim's we know a whole new crowd, probably coming from another bar will show up around midnight.

This is something the band has to pay close attention to, because there's material you will want to save, the stuff you know will be better suited for that late crowd. They usually have been drinking longer, so we save most of our dance material for them. Bar bands really have to have 4 hours worth of good stuff. We probably have over a hundred songs, so you pick and chose depending on the crowd. Like most bands we save our best show stoppers to close with. You might have seen our version of Nancy Sinatra's [i]"Boots Are Made for Walking" [/i]If you haven't I'll post it.

Old Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owoulj3y-vY

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1442960818' post='2871035']

Hi Pete,

No, not at all and this is where there might be a cultural difference. Not many stay for the whole 4 hours. The club will stay packed ok, but we get different crowds. The crowd were playing to at midnight is a different group of punters than those that were there at 9:00. When we play at Kim's we know a whole new crowd, probably coming from another bar will show up around midnight.

This is something the band has to pay close attention to, because there's material you will want to save, the stuff you know will be better suited for that late crowd. They usually have been drinking longer, so we save most of our dance material for them. Bar bands really have to have 4 hours worth of good stuff. We probably have over a hundred songs, so you pick and chose depending on the crowd. Like most bands we save our best show stoppers to close with. You might have seen our version of Nancy Sinatra's [i]"Boots Are Made for Walking" [/i]If you haven't I'll post it.

Old Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owoulj3y-vY

Blue
[/quote]
That's pretty much what I imagined. You used to get some gigs like that over here but not many these days In my neck of the woods. As I said before, lots of gigs like that in mainland Europe.

Audiences who come to see bands like mine in pubs tend to stay for the whole performance (usually just under two hours with a break). Some will then go on to a club afterwards to finish the night off.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1442958403' post='2871011']

Blue
[/quote]

No..exactly the opposite, IME. The band IS the draw. Designed to sell beer and alcohol. It is not exactly a show as you have a break between sets but 1x45 and 1x60 including encores is the norm around here. You are booked at a fee to do 2x45mins. There might be variations and late starts at some places but for pub money no one does late nights, IMO.. and you start 21:00-21:30 and look to finish at 23:30-23:45. Pubs may traditionally be in amongst residential so respect is due
with regards to neighbours. In- town gigs might be able to go later..but you'll bill them for that as well.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1442273191' post='2865735']

Ever wonder why some of these very good rock musicians give up on the whole being in a band thing...

[/quote]

Hmm, maybe because their partners insist on making their life so awkward and make it so difficult for them to earn money because they can't seem to accept that it is a 'real' job.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1443009585' post='2871374']
No..exactly the opposite, IME. The band IS the draw. Designed to sell beer and alcohol. It is not exactly a show as you have a break between sets but 1x45 and 1x60 including encores is the norm around here. You are booked at a fee to do 2x45mins. There might be variations and late starts at some places but for pub money no one does late nights, IMO.. and you start 21:00-21:30 and look to finish at 23:30-23:45. Pubs may traditionally be in amongst residential so respect is due
with regards to neighbours. In- town gigs might be able to go later..but you'll bill them for that as well.
[/quote]

All the bars and clubs we play are in business zones, we are never anywhere near residential zoned areas. So those pub hours now make sense.

Blue

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1443108337' post='2872291']
Hmm, maybe because their partners insist on making their life so awkward and make it so difficult for them to earn money because they can't seem to accept that it is a 'real' job.
[/quote]

It's why I stay out of traditional relationships. Not many American women will tolerate being number 2 in a guys life. And that's exactly what they would have to be with me, number 2.

Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1443010797' post='2871404']
The Rugby World Cup has pushed our start time back to 11 pm this Saturday. Finish at 2!!
[/quote]

No pushing the time back over here.

In the States, particularly Wisconsin, there have been bars that have in error booked us when the Green Bay Packers have a game. In the case of a 7:00pm game we will call, talk to the owner, cancel and reschedule. The owners completely understand and apologize for their booking error.

No band can compete with a Packers game in these parts.

Blue

I've had about 6 months out from bands. I went to a couple of practices with a new set up over the last few weeks and I'm already ready to quit. The prospect of learning another set of covers that, as the list is unveiled, I start to dislike fills me with dread.

Just being in a band, playing for the sake of it, isn't enough anymore, it's got to be something that bit more. Music, especially covers band, just isn't doing it for me. There's other stuff I'm finding more rewarding.

Anyone want to buy some gear? :)

I find as I get older I'm less inclined to put up with things I'm not happy with. I'm conscious that the clock is ticking (brought home to me a couple of years ago when the missus died). If I don't like a situation, I move on. Can't be arsed arguing over things any longer.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1443383234' post='2874313']
I've had about 6 months out from bands. I went to a couple of practices with a new set up over the last few weeks and I'm already ready to quit. The prospect of learning another set of covers that, as the list is unveiled, I start to dislike fills me with dread.

Just being in a band, playing for the sake of it, isn't enough anymore, it's got to be something that bit more. Music, especially covers band, just isn't doing it for me. There's other stuff I'm finding more rewarding.

Anyone want to buy some gear? :)
[/quote]just my take on this, I don't think enough effort is put into teaming up with guys who have similar musical tastes, I love playing the covers I do because I really like the songs we do, some more than others, but I don't dislike playing any of them, or maybe I'm just lucky

Finding people who are committed enough to turn up or learn songs is a task enough. Having them share musical taste would be a massive leap. :)

It's a huge problem for me actually. All guitarists want to play blues rock and I'd...rather not.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1443433601' post='2874543']
Finding people who are committed enough to turn up or learn songs is a task enough. Having them share musical taste would be a massive leap. :)

It's a huge problem for me actually. All guitarists want to play blues rock and I'd...rather not.
[/quote]
That is the problem with the throw enough mud at the wall aproach.... you'll waste too much time sifting through things that aren't going to work.
I tend to work only with people that have been recommended and play with the same sort of people.
So I know whether i 'fancy' the player already... and then it is just a question of finding chemistry and empathy.
If you have that then a load more songs become fun...
The other thing is to avoid gtrs who think they are the be-all of a band.
They colour the song, they don't carry or drive every single and think everyone is there for them

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1443433601' post='2874543']

[/quote]

It's odd, then I was younger (I'm talking well into my thirties) I found it easy to find people with similar tastes in music...now, I find it harder and harder.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1443471818' post='2875096']

It's odd, then I was younger (I'm talking well into my thirties) I found it easy to find people with similar tastes in music...now, I find it harder and harder.
[/quote]

Most guys I know, including myself, you get to a point where our taste in music is no longer relevant.

Since I do this for a living, everything is about good people, bands with consistent financially lucrative bookings.

If I had waited for bands that play music in line with my personal tastes I'm sure it would have no commercial value and wouldn't generate much money.

Blue