Why become a member? ×

The Guys That Give Up, Why?

blue

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1443482331' post='2875221']
tricky one, is it a hobby or a living? personally I think I'm happier keeping it as an enjoyable hobby, so, back to the original question, "why do guys give up?", the answer is always because they stop enjoying it
[/quote]

Then I might ask, what happened, why is it no longer enjoyable?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1443487110' post='2875234']

Blue
[/quote]

I don't think there's one single reason.

I'm finding as I get older, the musicians in my age group become very narrow minded about what they will and won't play, which type of venues they want to play, how much they want to get paid, how many times a month they'll play. They get pretty much set in their ways.

That's one thing (or many) that annoy me.

Another is a lack of imagination where they won't do any tune where the original cannot be exactly reproduced.

Working in a band requires teamwork with strong leadership. If you're set in your ways and refuse to compromise for the good of a team then you'll never find a band.

I think if you're a true musician you will continue to develop and be inspired over your whole life. The people who give up are just players of instruments.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1443487110' post='2875234']

Blue
[/quote]a whole host of reasons, for instance our drummer and guitarist just left because they didn't want to gig 2 or 3 times a month anymore (although pressure on the home front may have had something to do with it) our new guitarist quit his last band and joined us because they weren't gigging enough.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1443479867' post='2875198']
But where is the passion ?
[/quote]

Not sure passion is the right word for me, but you need chemistry and desire and you need commitment... and I use these words
with regards what you are playing... not in terms of the band is set up itself.

All the guys I'll use have history..they probably have better gigs than I can give them and they may put money quite high up the list
as they NEED to, but I like to think I can give them the gig that they'd like. I don't waste their time and they don't waste mine.
The music/band is very important as they wouldn't do it otherwise ... so there needs to be credence there.

Once people have the desire to play.... and this should be a given, otherwise, don't bother, etc...people bring what they bring to the party
and songs become a skeltal template to whizz all over. But...you also need to know when you are overcooking it...
But if the music is good and you can create an intimate vibe..I can't see how it can't work.
Not one for 3 men and a dog gigs tho... it has to be an event or you can create it.

And to do all this...you need a very wide circle of people you can call on and who will play with you.
These are the seeds of solid networking and being able to play the level you are calling upon.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1443479201' post='2875186']
If I had waited for bands that play music in line with my personal tastes I'm sure it would have no commercial value and wouldn't generate much money.

Blue
[/quote]

Well, this is where we differ - my only reason for making music is to create good music and enjoy playing it, the financial side has always been a fairly minor consideration. In this case, finding people with a similar musical directions is important. But as I said in my earlier post in this thread, it's an outlook that not all on this forum share...no bother....

Each to their own, I say !

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1443517409' post='2875364']

Well, this is where we differ - my only reason for making music is to create good music and enjoy playing it, the financial side has always been a fairly minor consideration. In this case, finding people with a similar musical directions is important. But as I said in my earlier post in this thread, it's an outlook that not all on this forum share...no bother....

[/quote]

So if you can't find people who share your tastes, you don't play?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1443519668' post='2875389']
So if you can't find people who share your tastes, you don't play?
[/quote]

I wish I could be that picky ! Maybe I overstated it by saying 'my only reason'....but I've certainly gone bandless for want to finding people on my wavelength.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1443517409' post='2875364']

[/quote]

For me those 2 elements go hand in hand. I love creating good music and presenting the music at gigs. Getting financially compensated for performing is equally important to me.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1443521282' post='2875420']
For me those 2 elements go hand in hand. I love creating good music and presenting the music at gigs. Getting financially compensated for performing is equally important to me.

Blue
[/quote]

I don't think I've have played as much as I do if the financial side had been a concern !

...but as I've said before, people make music for many different reasons

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1443521741' post='2875428']
I don't think I've have played as much as I do if the financial side had been a concern !

...but as I've said before, people make music for many different reasons
[/quote]

Agreed, we are all in different circumstances and are in this for different reasons.

Interesting, I have never gigged more in my life since I started playing for money and this became a job, a fun job. And my chops have never been better.

For the rest of the year were booked for double header weekends ,meaning were booked either Fri & Sat or Sat & Sun.

This is what I always wanted out of a band experience and why I make music.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1443558243' post='2875832']
Agreed, we are all in different circumstances and are in this for different reasons.

Interesting, I have never gigged more in my life since I started playing for money and this became a job, a fun job. And my chops have never been better.

For the rest of the year were booked for double header weekends ,meaning were booked either Fri & Sat or Sat & Sun.

This is what I always wanted out of a band experience and why I make music.

[/quote]

Just out of interest, do you play original material, covers....bit of both ?

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1443562064' post='2875871']
Just out of interest, do you play original material, covers....bit of both ?
[/quote]

A bit of both, I would say 80% 70s style blues/rock covers and 20% originals. As far as gigs are concerned I think were reaping the benefits of being in business for 9 years. Meaning most of our business comes from existing business and in bound call inquiries. Generating new business is crucial and a struggle for us.

Something interesting happened this year, we were also able to land what you guys call function band gigs. We call them corporate gigs. These higher paying gigs are usually reserved for show bands doing Bruno Mars and Lady Ga Ga.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1443570056' post='2875908']
Something interesting happened this year, we were also able to land what you guys call function band gigs. We call them corporate gigs. These higher paying gigs are usually reserved for show bands doing Bruno Mars and Lady Ga Ga.
[/quote]

Hey, good for you - sounds like all that hard work is paying off.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1443425886' post='2874472']
just my take on this, I don't think enough effort is put into teaming up with guys who have similar musical tastes, I love playing the covers I do because I really like the songs we do, some more than others, but I don't dislike playing any of them, or maybe I'm just lucky
[/quote]

We have overlapping but by no means identical tastes, which does mean that there's a fair amount of variety to the set.

A while ago, I played with a club band for the money. Very few of the songs were ones that I would have any desire whatsoever to listen to. In the end, that just wasn't satisfying, although all the members of the band got on well and I still do occasional deps for them, and I moved on (via another couple of bands) to the current band.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1443570056' post='2875908']
A bit of both, I would say 80% 70s style blues/rock covers and 20% originals. As far as gigs are concerned I think were reaping the benefits of being in business for 9 years. Meaning most of our business comes from existing business and in bound call inquiries. Generating new business is crucial and a struggle for us.

[b]Something interesting happened this year, we were also able to land what you guys call function band gigs. We call them corporate gigs. These higher paying gigs are usually reserved for show bands doing Bruno Mars and Lady Ga Ga.[/b]

Blue
[/quote]

This is always a difficult thing to manage.

We never changed our 'pub set' too much for functions as we were booked by someone who'd seen us.
Of course, you can't be oblivious to what that market requires but what really counts is that they liked us and
we knew..and they had the same confidence..that we had a good show.
There were no dodgy moments about whether anyone would get up and dance and we basically delivered a hard hitting
'show'..as opposed to a selection of tunes as per the whim of the evening.
So we quickly trebled our pub fee to a party/function fee....and the idea is to get it to 5 times.
Of course...you need a few dates to tick over on... but you really have to get out of the pub circuit here
if you want to up your money.

As with all things, you have to be perceived as worth it to the buyer... but this will be the model of a new band as well.
The accent will be firstly on the playing, and a great vibe. Then we will see how well this crosses over.
I've no doubt it will, tbh... just needs a bit of ground work.

I would say a rock blues set...as I understand that in a pub sense over here, would indeed be a tough sell
to corporate or functions...but those fuddly duddies of yesteryear...??? they are the ones who grew up on
the 60's and rock music and they are the target audience now..??

Simple test.... a 60th birthday USED to be a gig of dread 20 years ago and it would catch many a band out as they just didn't have
the repetoire..??? now those 60th birthday people grew up with Hendrix and the Who..???

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1443601571' post='2876020']

We have overlapping but by no means identical tastes, which does mean that there's a fair amount of variety to the set.

A while ago, I played with a club band for the money. Very few of the songs were ones that I would have any desire whatsoever to listen to. In the end, that just wasn't satisfying, although all the members of the band got on well and I still do occasional deps for them, and I moved on (via another couple of bands) to the current band.
[/quote]

The funny thing for me is once I've learned a tune, I find it very difficult to enjoy listening to it again.

I enjoy playing it, just not listening to it on the playlist in the car.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1443606787' post='2876092']

This is always a difficult thing to manage.

We never changed our 'pub set' too much for functions as we were booked by someone who'd seen us.
Of course, you can't be oblivious to what that market requires but what really counts is that they liked us and
we knew..and they had the same confidence..that we had a good show.
There were no dodgy moments about whether anyone would get up and dance and we basically delivered a hard hitting
'show'..as opposed to a selection of tunes as per the whim of the evening.
So we quickly trebled our pub fee to a party/function fee....and the idea is to get it to 5 times.
Of course...you need a few dates to tick over on... but you really have to get out of the pub circuit here
if you want to up your money.

As with all things, you have to be perceived as worth it to the buyer... but this will be the model of a new band as well.
The accent will be firstly on the playing, and a great vibe. Then we will see how well this crosses over.
I've no doubt it will, tbh... just needs a bit of ground work.

I would say a rock blues set...as I understand that in a pub sense over here, would indeed be a tough sell
to corporate or functions...but those fuddly duddies of yesteryear...??? they are the ones who grew up on
the 60's and rock music and they are the target audience now..??

Simple test.... a 60th birthday USED to be a gig of dread 20 years ago and it would catch many a band out as they just didn't have
the repetoire..??? now those 60th birthday people grew up with Hendrix and the Who..???
[/quote]

Who are these fuddie buddies of yester year you reference?

I'm 62 and I'm not a fuddie duddie. Who are these fuddie duddies? Is that an English thing. I certainly don't know of any,

Blue

Edited by blue

Several people have referenced common tastes in material and some comments on songs you don't like playing.

I used to have the sane concerns about performing songs I don't care for.

When your gigging a lot and and trying to make a living, you really should leave the adolescent " I hate playing this song" at the door.

This is what I did to change my attitude. What can I do as a bass player to make this song fun for me. Using New positions, bringing a new feel to the line adding an effect, different fills, whatever.

My point, don't let a few songs take the fun out of playing or take the fun out of a gig.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1443646197' post='2876647']
Who are these fuddie buddies of yester year you reference?

I'm 62 and I'm not a fuddie duddie. Who are these fuddie duddies? Is that an English thing. I certainly don't know of any,

Blue
[/quote]

That is the point..when you are 30-40..you don't get 60 yrs olds.. but now those 60 yrs oid are guys who grew up on the same music that everyone did which is gtr based rock.
Even 19yr kids are into Hendrix and the blues if they play gtr... IMO.