Why become a member? ×

The Guys That Give Up, Why?

blue

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1442734833' post='2868997']
I've come across this, how hard is it to check up on a band? surely a few phone calls to other venues would do it, or even the bands gig list gives a vital clue to how well they're thought of if you know what the other venues are like in your area, and that's without even getting up off your arse and actually going to look at bands play live,
[/quote]

You can't research every aspect of a band, but if you can't find a solid gigging history on the bands web-site, you might not want to book them.

Blue

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1442781565' post='2869488']
Maybe , but your not the person booking the bands , it's them that should know !
[/quote]

True, usually it's younger guys coming in already smashed before they start playing, cheap faulty un-gig worthy gear and not enough good material to hold a crowd.

Blue

I read the posts on this thread and realise that I've had a [i]hugely[/i] different experience of gigging, on and off, for 25 years to many here.

Just shows you that everyone gigs for different reasons and with different expectations.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1442782688' post='2869502']
I read the posts on this thread and realise that I've had a [i]hugely[/i] different experience of gigging, on and off, for 25 years to many here.

Just shows you that everyone gigs for different reasons and with different expectations.
[/quote]

There are some guys that just don't like gigging.

To each his own, However that is something I will never understand. Gigging is fun.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1442733309' post='2868986']
So many club venues moving over to "karaoke" solo acts because they can no longer find bands that can cut it! Scary. [/quote]

That's not the reason. It's because the karaoke is a lot cheaper.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1442830367' post='2869712']
Also under the old licensing system you didn't need a music license for Karaoke and you did for 3 or more musicians.
[/quote]

I always thought that was a good thing as it made the pub/venue commit to the idea of gigs in the longer term.
They needed to sort their electrics for a start.
Making more venues able to have gigs...hasn't really helped IMO. good bands will always get gigs but
I see any old pub with 4 guys in the corner does not help keep rates up... as it is obvious there are 'alternatives'

By the same token that bands needs a history, so do venues. Of course, new gigs/bands come along, but
they both need to be researched thoroughly IMO.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1442835022' post='2869790']
It's a different market. Target audience.

Karaoke/Disco/Duos with backing/Live Band.

They're different.
[/quote]

It's the same market. Social clubs used to put on bands. Then they moved over to mainly using karaoke singers, sorry, solo singers with backing music, as they were less than half the price. The people in the social club haven't changed, and, incidentally, generally say that they much prefer live music.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1442841019' post='2869887']
Erm. That'll be a different market then. :rolleyes:

One where the customer knows what they want and aren't getting it.
[/quote]

Same market, different products. One of which works, one of which doesn't, because their optimum audiences differ (assuming that there is an optimum audience for karaoke singers), but the product that doesn't work is foisted on the audience anyway. Like when the company that you work for decides that McAfee will be the virus, sorry, anti-virus, that runs on all the PCs in the company.

I don't see how it can't be the same market if it's the same people being sold to (or played at).

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1442830249' post='2869709']
+1

The reason I learnt to play an instrument was so I could join a band and gig.
[/quote]

Well, yeah exactly. when me and my guys were like 12-13 back in the 60s. Being in a band was one of the first big things you could do on your own with the neighborhood guys. We all loved rock & roll we wanted to play get out and have fun gigging. We wanted to dress cool, be cool and get the attention of the ladies and rock & roll was the way to get there. Playing somewhere was a big deal.

Some, like me, and here it is 50 years later never lost the enthusiasm and excitement for gigging. Like right now, I can't wait to play my shows this Friday & Saturday night.

Some guys come into or came into *rock & roll" music differently, maybe older and a different generation. And depending on how you got into this impacts your view on gigging and being in a band. I just can't imagine it's as exciting as it was back in the mid 60s, maybe it is, I don't know.

Blue

* Do you guys know that there are 18 year olds over here in the States that are not familiar with the term "Rock & Roll? To me that is scary.

* The pic is from 1969, looks like I was playing a Gibson EB-O through an SVT back then.

Edited by blue

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1442861382' post='2870109']
Well, that depends on the gig !
[/quote]

What I meant was there are some guys that don't like any kind of gig, they do not like the whole idea of being on stage performing in front of people.It does absolutely nothing for them.

Blue

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1442857959' post='2870072']
These are social club audiences. They're on rails on a Saturday night, and they want some decent entertainment before and after the bingo, raffle, and members' draw.
[/quote]

We played an RBL club twice in six months. The second time; the committee had changed and the audience was made up of completely different people.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1442830249' post='2869709']

+1

The reason I learnt to play an instrument was so I could join a band and gig.
[/quote]
I read an interview with Leland Sklar last night where he said that he still gets excited when gets a call for a live gig, 'even in a bar'! So after playing some of the biggest gigs in the business, Sklar still looks forward to a local bar gig!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1442873388' post='2870236']
We played an RBL club twice in six months. The second time; the committee had changed and the audience was made up of completely different people.
[/quote]

I played social clubs for ten years and many of them three times a year your experience compared to mine is worlds apart :lol:

At some in Sheffield you even knew who was going to start the fight before the evening started. ;)

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1442906876' post='2870313']
I read an interview with Leland Sklar last night where he said that he still gets excited when gets a call for a live gig, 'even in a bar'! So after playing some of the biggest gigs in the business, Sklar still looks forward to a local bar gig!
[/quote]

Exactly.

Sad I know, but I get a kick out of every part, from putting the gigs in the diary and loading the car and driving to the gig. When people say "worst part of the night" at the end, it isn't for me. I love the load out etc. It means I've done a gig. Of course I'd prefer to be playing with Clapton at the Albert Hall, but I love doing good gigs and, as long as I play well, I'll take a bad gig over a night watching TV any time.

The worst part about gigging for me is waiting for the next one.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1442873388' post='2870236']
[/quote]

Well, that enormous sample size certainly blows a hole in my argument.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1442917374' post='2870442']

Well, that enormous sample size certainly blows a hole in my argument.
[/quote]

The other point is that the social clubs don't have a band on every week. Each week it's a different act. So you're not competing with the Karaoke, or disco, you're working alongside. If you're playing a club three times a year, you're competing with four other bands. And the likelihood is that the other bands are playing a different set (or maybe not).

I can't believe anyone would go and watch solo singers singing to backing tracks week after week. Although I suspect we're looking at people who go to Spain for their holidays and read the Sun and eat fish and chips when they get there.

So the group of people telling you they prefer live music, may not be the same people who turn up the next week to watch Barry: the Frank Sinatra impersonator.

It's the only club I've played. We refused to do them. But the same happens in pubs. There are about 10 regulars who are always in the pub, usually Monday to Sunday. Then there's people out for a special night.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1442919550' post='2870473']
I can't believe anyone would go and watch solo singers singing to backing tracks week after week.
[/quote]

Why not?

These guys are giving punters what they want; a voice, a melody and a familiar song.