Why become a member? ×

The Guys That Give Up, Why?

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1442460550' post='2867119']
I joined my band for years ago because it was a job, a paying job. Not wishing well of creativity.
Now, while it's a job, it's a very fun job.
[/quote]

+1

If you think that music is on a par with a round of golf you'll probably have a different view.

I've played with people who weren't very good players, were awful people and played numbers I didn't particularly like, but working, earning, enjoying it, staying match fit, networking, none of these things happen if, for whatever reason, you're sitting at home.

This is not a hobby, but by doggedly following a "glass half full" philosophy, I have managed to play more fantastic numbers with good players and in great bands than bad. One thing always leads to another and great things can emerge from hopeless situations. You've got to use your judgement and make sure you're there when it happens.

IMO, there are enough problems out there in band-land without us making anything more difficult for ourselves than it already is.

I wont treat it as a job until it pays me the same salary.
But I treat it as seriously as anyone.... which is why I insist it must be
right. It must be of the right quality and we must do the right shows/gigs.

Generally my name is decent and people know if I am involved and committed...
which I'll tell them that I am or not... then that is enough for them to make their decision.

I'm kind of pleased that if I want to 'sell' something.. plenty of people will listen.

But to do this...IMO, you need to sift through some gigs and not bother with them.
I'd rather they came to a gig that cost £10 a ticket..where we could do things properly
and spend correctly to improve the show.. than a pub date.
But the right pub date is also important... the music is capable of being the same level,
it is just that we treat it as a loss leader.

But there needs to be a balance... I don't think you 'waste' your product on too many pub dates
as those same 'punters' will ask what the difference is between that and a ticketed event.

This is why parties are better...because the money is treble/quadrupled and you aren't responsible
for getting the audience.
The next trick is getting the party money up to wedding money without the wedding faff...

So, because it isn't my main job, I'm VERY picky about the quality of the gig..in every respect
and I have no worries about whether we are worth the money. I do my homework. :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1442482800' post='2867234']
I wont treat it as a job until it pays me the same salary.
But I treat it as seriously as anyone.... which is why I insist it must be
right. It must be of the right quality and we must do the right shows/gigs.

Generally my name is decent and people know if I am involved and committed...
which I'll tell them that I am or not... then that is enough for them to make their decision.

I'm kind of pleased that if I want to 'sell' something.. plenty of people will listen.

But to do this...IMO, you need to sift through some gigs and not bother with them.
I'd rather they came to a gig that cost £10 a ticket..where we could do things properly
and spend correctly to improve the show.. than a pub date.
But the right pub date is also important... the music is capable of being the same level,
it is just that we treat it as a loss leader.

But there needs to be a balance... I don't think you 'waste' your product on too many pub dates
as those same 'punters' will ask what the difference is between that and a ticketed event.

This is why parties are better...because the money is treble/quadrupled and you aren't responsible
for getting the audience.
The next trick is getting the party money up to wedding money without the wedding faff...

So, because it isn't my main job, I'm VERY picky about the quality of the gig..in every respect
and I have no worries about whether we are worth the money. I do my homework. :lol:
[/quote]

As I mentioned before regarding gigs. When your fans start showing up where ever your playing the number of bad gigs start to diminish.

I really dig it when we have a 2 or 3 gig weekend and we have the same fans that come to all 3.

Off topic, from What I have learned from you guys. I think our bar gigs in the States might be an upgrade from pub gigs.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1442511122' post='2867500']
As I mentioned before regarding gigs. When your fans start showing up where ever your playing the number of bad gigs start to diminish.

I really dig it when we have a 2 or 3 gig weekend and we have the same fans that come to all 3.

Off topic, from What I have learned from you guys. I think our bar gigs in the States might be an upgrade from pub gigs.

Blue
[/quote]

I'm more impressed or pleased if they pay for tickets... but yes, nice to have people consistently appreciate what you do.

Not sure about the second point but my friend moved to Orlando and really can't handle the lenght of the gigs they are asked to do...
I think he said 4x45 and 1x hr. I think the money is better, iirc... but then it needs to be 2 and half times better as he plays over 2 and half times as long.
He has always loved playing more than 'playing' if you understand what I mean, but he says he is getting too old for that sort of gig.

We NEVER play for more than 2 hrs...find we don't need to and the money doesn't really go up even if we did.

There are some pub gigs that I wouldn't be interested in tbh... and I'd do my homework about them...even if they are on the 'circuit' but some are quite good, do things properly and geta good crowd. £350 plus is quite achieveable in a decent pub if you get and keep the crowd...but that crowd will come and see music...and so the band is more critical than just being a music night.
This is why there is a large difference between bands and what they can ask for.

Quite a few of the better pubs are doing doors and security and will pay for semi name bands. Their budget will have to be £1000 plus so obvious the size of the pub matters a LOT. But any decent and above average music pub with a good reputation will get 'offers' from
touring acts and some will be able to take those gigs... the deal will typically be an mid week night, tickets and £600 plus fees for solo upwards.
The offers to do these sort of gigs come from the acts agents and not the pubs... It largely works, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1442515314' post='2867542']

I'm more impressed or pleased if they pay for tickets... but yes, nice to have people consistently appreciate what you do.

Not sure about the second point but my friend moved to Orlando and really can't handle the lenght of the gigs they are asked to do...
I think he said 4x45 and 1x hr. I think the money is better, iirc... but then it needs to be 2 and half times better as he plays over 2 and half times as long.
He has always loved playing more than 'playing' if you understand what I mean, but he says he is getting too old for that sort of gig.

We NEVER play for more than 2 hrs...find we don't need to and the money doesn't really go up even if we did.

There are some pub gigs that I wouldn't be interested in tbh... and I'd do my homework about them...even if they are on the 'circuit' but some are quite good, do things properly and geta good crowd. £350 plus is quite achieveable in a decent pub if you get and keep the crowd...but that crowd will come and see music...and so the band is more critical than just being a music night.
This is why there is a large difference between bands and what they can ask for.

Quite a few of the better pubs are doing doors and security and will pay for semi name bands. Their budget will have to be £1000 plus so obvious the size of the pub matters a LOT. But any decent and above average music pub with a good reputation will get 'offers' from
touring acts and some will be able to take those gigs... the deal will typically be an mid week night, tickets and £600 plus fees for solo upwards.
The offers to do these sort of gigs come from the acts agents and not the pubs... It largely works, IMO.
[/quote]
Just goes to show that there are differences in pub gigs in different parts of the UK, yet alone between here and the US.

I assume that you are based in a far more affluent part of the country than me, but round here punters would (unfortunately) not be interested in paying on the door for a pub gig, although they might accept a modest hike on the price of a pint. Of course, people will pay to see semi-name acts in a club (usually tributes or genre based acts) but not in a pub. Also, no landlords round here would consider paying £350 for a pub gig – the economics of it would just not be sustainable. But then again that might be because I’m living in a less affluent area. I have certainly been paid that much in pubs in other parts of the country, but that was generally as it was a special event / the fact that the gig was promoted as a non-local band playing.

I think that the 2x45 sets plus a 15 minute encore pub gig is more a reaction to UK licensing laws / drinking culture. Certainly gigs in northern Europe follow the American model where bands are expected to play for anything from 2 ½ to over 4 hours. However, they do tend to pay better and bands seem to be more highly valued by bar owners.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1442460550' post='2867119']

I joined my band for years ago because it was a job, a paying job. Not wishing well of creativity.

Now, while it's a job, it's a very fun job.

Blue
[/quote]
Basically I just want to play – money is a factor but not an overriding one. I certainly wouldn’t want to play in a band where I didn’t like the material and tend to stick to genres that I know that I can be convincing.

I’m quite happy to take a lead in running a band but equally, I’m happy to just be a hired hand if the band is good enough. The most fun I ever had in a band was a few years in the backing band of a blues rock guitarist. He did virtually everything and I just turned up and played. It was a good band; we played all over the country, made decent money and had a great laugh. I certainly didn’t feel the need to be running the band or anything…

I've usually played a 45 and a 60minute set for pubs.

For the working man clubs and weddings we did 2x45 and a 60. With 15min breaks. Although the working man clubs broke for bingo and the raffle. They were pretty much what the agent agreed so I can't see many bands being much different.

I have a feeling the MU limited it to 45minutes a set for some reason.

Back then, when I was a variety drummer here in France, the 'standard' set was 21h00-02h00; the only one not to get a break was the drummer. The brass section, one or other of the singers, even guitar and bass could step down for a number or two. Not the drums. I had my bottle of diluted orange at my feet, and played on. In the summer season, we could be booked for Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening, and, on occasions, a Sunday matinee performance, too..! These popular week-end dance events got wiped out by the advent of discothèques; I went on to animate weddings with a buddy on keys, guitar and accordion. Same hours, in restaurants and village halls most week-ends. Nowadays in retirement, I play pop/rock covers with our sons and a couple of mates; we do 2 x 45' sets, but the programme had been carefully arranged to allow me some respite every couple of songs. The rule is 2 or 3 up-tempo, followed by something calmer (Radiohead..? Wish You Were Here..? Marlène..?) so that I can recover. Give up..? What a strange notion. As long as we're asked to play, we're up for it. There's little on the telly anyway of a Saturday night.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1442528911' post='2867662']
Just goes to show that there are differences in pub gigs in different parts of the UK, yet alone between here and the US.

I assume that you are based in a far more affluent part of the country than me, but round here punters would (unfortunately) not be interested in paying on the door for a pub gig, although they might accept a modest hike on the price of a pint. Of course, people will pay to see semi-name acts in a club (usually tributes or genre based acts) but not in a pub. Also, no landlords round here would consider paying £350 for a pub gig – the economics of it would just not be sustainable. But then again that might be because I’m living in a less affluent area. I have certainly been paid that much in pubs in other parts of the country, but that was generally as it was a special event / the fact that the gig was promoted as a non-local band playing.

I think that the 2x45 sets plus a 15 minute encore pub gig is more a reaction to UK licensing laws / drinking culture. Certainly gigs in northern Europe follow the American model where bands are expected to play for anything from 2 ½ to over 4 hours. However, they do tend to pay better and bands seem to be more highly valued by bar owners.
[/quote]

While we get our share of the good festival & fair gigs in the Summer were are still classified as a regional bar band.

Here's the deal for all of our bar gigs and I have 2 this weekend;

1. 4 hours with two 15 minute breaks
2. $100.00 a man minimum ( we won't turn the key for less)

Festival Gigs have been paying some really groovy bread;

1. 1.5 hrs, no break
2. Sound and lights provided
3. $500.00 a man

Over here the only places that charge a cover are what I call the [i]"$5.00 back room"[/i] and those are originals bands clubs. Our thing or part of our mission statement is we don't want people to have to pay to see us. Just buy lots of premium alcohol drinks.

And I don't want to paint any kind of glamorous picture here. Pete will tell you, this is a real [i]"hustle"[/i] and not for everyone.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1442531032' post='2867676']
Nope, I give up. Why..? :mellow:
[/quote]

I think some guys get older and out grow it, it's no longer fun. Certain life circumstances can bring it to a halt. And the worse one are the guys that never find the right band and have a history of bad band experiences.

Blue

Edited by blue

Basically you can test the market as much as you like but it all depends on whether you are perceived as value.
Some pubs around here have a ceiling but that is as much to do with their years rosta as it is the bands, IMO.

Some bands have a great night and then fail for no real reason...the date may clash with something or just be a poor night and
the LL/venue has to take it on the chin. This is why they'll want to level out fees... good nights sub bad nights.
I get that, so I'll offer a band at £250 min and they can pay a premium if we do well...
But in a game of hard ball, everyone has to be able to stand by their bottom line and you may loose out.
The struggling full time guy might have to take that £60..altho he really wants £80. Their call.

But I think £350 is the target to aim for in pubs and those pubs are the target gigs....but you have to be worth it.
It doesn't matter so much how you are worth it..(I put a premium on the bands ability myself)... but if all your mates rock
up and the band is awful..then that is fair play too as you've 'earnt' your money... As far as the LL/Venue is concerned.

Not sure I like the rates in U.S bars for 4 hrs or so... so stuff that.
This is a conversation I'll have with my mate in Orlando..as he has done gigs both here and there. I'll see what bar bands are..?
pro rata, UK pubs play better/more..??

Agree about setting a limit, though that limit is going to change from band to band and area to area. I was looking into getting a booking at a pub near me that I thought would suit the new band I joined earlier this year. Spoke to a mate at the weekend who's played there a few times and apparently they have a flat rate of £150 irrespective of who you are. No wonder they get a lot of trio acts there. The other 3 members would be driving around 45-50 min each way to do it, I'm not going to bother pursuing it.

There are a lot of British bands who could do with putting in the time.

Many of the guys you see playing in pubs and clubs have no groove and are plainly not listening to each other or playing as a unit.

Hopefully if you had to play for 4 hours a night the bad and indifferent players would fall by the way side and the whole music scene would improve.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1442567292' post='2867794']

Many of the guys you see playing in pubs and clubs have no groove and are plainly not listening to each other or playing as a unit.

Hopefully if you had to play for 4 hours a night the bad and indifferent players would fall by the way side and the whole music scene would improve.
[/quote]

I just put that down to band standards and whilst I agree it should be a band priority, I can't see it being a pub/LL priority.
Some LL will do it and have a very good standard of bands so getting onto that rosta is hard and also an 'endorsement'
that you have passed a 'recognised'..??? standard.
But... the ultimate criteria in pubs is how many pints are pulled so the band with a great following trumps the best band around, possibly
if the bar takings are better.

Personally over in the U.K.. I've always thought less pubs doing music would raise the standard as only the best bands get the gigs....!!

But...... who is playing these pubs..?? many top players don't bother with pub work and just go for the one -offs...
These players tend to think functions are where the money is...

In local pubs around here, you might see many a player who have played on huge albums and with top acts but they do it very rarely.

But I bet they don't get more than £100 and I doubt they need that money.. they do it because a mate has asked them and they are looked after
and it is a special gig albeit one-off..??

That does add to the music scene/circuit and generates very good interest and also I think people respond and support that.

Pubs round here may also put 20-50p on a pint..and I think the punter MUSTget used to paying for music in one form or another.

Pub money has stood still waaay too long, IMO, so this move to get better fees is all good.having said all that...

Having said all that...I don't think a band can justify £300 for a 3 piece just because that is all they do all week... on the basis
that they are full time. I think if they asked for these rates and were not worth it...and I'm thinking of one band that this applies, then
they'll get flack from all round, I'm sure.

[/quote]
I think that you may have a point there BUT the UK's licensing laws and British drinking habits mean that not many landlords would want to have a band playing for 3 or 4 hours. They certainly would not want to pay extra!

Also, a landlord is only interested in whether a band can pull in punters and assist him to sell beer! He doesn't care how many people are in the band and will understandably pay the same for a three piece as he will for an equally popular seven piece band...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1442574501' post='2867893']
I think that you may have a point there BUT the UK's licensing laws and British drinking habits mean that not many landlords would want to have a band playing for 3 or 4 hours. They certainly would not want to pay extra!

Also, a landlord is only interested in whether a band can pull in punters and assist him to sell beer! He doesn't care how many people are in the band and will understandably pay the same for a three piece as he will for an equally popular seven piece band...
[/quote]

I'm not even sure how much a lot of the audience would want a band to be on for that time over here either, slightly different culture. I usually associate these long sessions with tourist places where you have people just drifting in and out rather than a captive audience. Pubs do have an element of 'floating' visitors but it's not the bulk of punters in recognised British music pubs.

[/quote]

From my (admittedly limited) experience of watching bands play in bars in Chicago, DC and Virginia, the standard of musicianship in the US is considerably higher than it is in their equivalents in the UK. I've usually put that down to the fact that they are playing much long sets together and consequently 'putting in the time'.

As a casual, corollary observation: it does seem that US audiences are much more [i]into[/i] the idea of watching a band play live in a pub/bar than most I've experienced in the UK, certainly round London and the South East*. Americans do seem to be more inclined to dance at the drop of a hat and actually engage with what's going on on stage rather than hiding in a corner with their pint and talking over the music, or standing at the back of the venue with their arms folded and an 'entertain me, then, I dare you' look on their faces. :)

Of course, it's possible there's a bit of a positive feedback loop here: better bands make people more inclined to dance, etc.

* from the times I've played north of the border, Scottish audiences are generally more responsive.

I am, however, amazed at the low rates of pay all that time put in generates if this is typical

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1442550625' post='2867694']
While we get our share of the good festival & fair gigs in the Summer were are still classified as a regional bar band.

Here's the deal for all of our bar gigs and I have 2 this weekend;

1. 4 hours with two 15 minute breaks
2. $100.00 a man minimum ( we won't turn the key for less)[/quote]

Edited by cybertect

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1442564366' post='2867750']
Basically you can test the market as much as you like but it all depends on whether you are perceived as value.
Some pubs around here have a ceiling but that is as much to do with their years rosta as it is the bands, IMO.

Some bands have a great night and then fail for no real reason...the date may clash with something or just be a poor night and
the LL/venue has to take it on the chin. This is why they'll want to level out fees... good nights sub bad nights.
I get that, so I'll offer a band at £250 min and they can pay a premium if we do well...
But in a game of hard ball, everyone has to be able to stand by their bottom line and you may loose out.
The struggling full time guy might have to take that £60..altho he really wants £80. Their call.

But I think £350 is the target to aim for in pubs and those pubs are the target gigs....but you have to be worth it.
It doesn't matter so much how you are worth it..(I put a premium on the bands ability myself)... but if all your mates rock
up and the band is awful..then that is fair play too as you've 'earnt' your money... As far as the LL/Venue is concerned.

Not sure I like the rates in U.S bars for 4 hrs or so... so stuff that.
This is a conversation I'll have with my mate in Orlando..as he has done gigs both here and there. I'll see what bar bands are..?
pro rata, UK pubs play better/more..??
[/quote]

I guess it can vary from State to State or depends on the bars you pay. All the venues we play are 80% existing business ,so they know were a $500.00 minimum band.They also know they make money when were booked.But it took 9 years to build the business. We didn't start out this way right out of the chute.

Blue

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1442588991' post='2868057']
From my (admittedly limited) experience of watching bands play in bars in Chicago, DC and Virginia, the standard of musicianship in the US is considerably higher than it is in their equivalents in the UK. I've usually put that down to the fact that they are playing much long sets together and consequently 'putting in the time'.

As a casual, corollary observation: it does seem that US audiences are much more [i]into[/i] the idea of watching a band play live in a pub/bar than most I've experienced in the UK, certainly round London and the South East*. Americans do seem to be more inclined to dance at the drop of a hat and actually engage with what's going on on stage rather than hiding in a corner with their pint and talking over the music, or standing at the back of the venue with their arms folded and an 'entertain me, then, I dare you' look on their faces. :)

Of course, it's possible there's a bit of a positive feedback loop here: better bands make people more inclined to dance, etc.

* from the times I've played north of the border, Scottish audiences are generally more responsive.

I am, however, amazed at the low rates of pay all that time put in generates if this is typical
[/quote]

Yeah, nobody playing bars, no matter who you are is getting more than $100.00 per man.

Last weekend we did a rare 3 hr gig and I walked away with $120.00 but that extra 20 was from the tips we split up. It's a cultural thing tip jars are completely acceptable here for bar gigs.

Dancing is strictly a ladies game. If the place is packed with ladies and they're drunk, they're gonna dance. Guys, don't dance so much.

Blue

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1442583381' post='2867992']
I'm not even sure how much a lot of the audience would want a band to be on for that time over here either, slightly different culture. I usually associate these long sessions with tourist places where you have people just drifting in and out rather than a captive audience. Pubs do have an element of 'floating' visitors but it's not the bulk of punters in recognised British music pubs.
[/quote]

Thing is, in our circuit, most of the bars we play have built up a reputation as a live music venue. So, it makes a big difference when the clientele comes there to hear a live band. Where it can get dicey is when you take a gig at a bar not necessarily known to have bands.Then it's a hit or miss proposition. Normally it's a miss.

Blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1442574501' post='2867893']

[/quote]

I see where Pete's coming from. Over here, established with a following can make all the difference in the world. We know and our customers know when we play we are going to draw punters that don't normally patron their club and they are going to sell more premium alcohol.

The bar band business is tough for new acts over here. Say a new band plays a bar and the crowd is week and alcohol sales are weak. Chances are that band is not going to get asked back or re-booked. And re-book is really the name of the game when your band is trying to make money and stay in business.

Blue

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1442566976' post='2867791'] Agree about setting a limit, though that limit is going to change from band to band and area to area. I was looking into getting a booking at a pub near me that I thought would suit the new band I joined earlier this year. Spoke to a mate at the weekend who's played there a few times and apparently they have a flat rate of £150 irrespective of who you are. No wonder they get a lot of trio acts there. The other 3 members would be driving around 45-50 min each way to do it, I'm not going to bother pursuing it. [/quote]

Travel is a factor, we have a few customers where it's a 2 hour drive one way, but our fee goes up to $1,500.00.

I'll be honest, I got spoiled this summer with those 2k gigs for playing 1.5 hours. For a bar band guy that's sweet money.

Blue