Why become a member? ×

The Guys That Give Up, Why?

blue

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1443792530' post='2877754']
I wonder if the woodwind section of the London Philharmonic consider themselves side(wo)men or members of a scratch band ?

:)
[/quote]

Don't be silly. The subject is rock/pop groups, not [i]real [/i]musicians. :rolleyes:

:lol: :P

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1443792530' post='2877754']
I wonder if the woodwind section of the London Philharmonic consider themselves side(wo)men or members of a scratch band ?

:)
[/quote]

Not side men.. they accompany a musical entity..they wouldn't be part of a band. :lol:

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1443734670' post='2877368']

Surely by definition a sideman is just there to play bass, can be replaced relatively easily.
[/quote]

Sideman or not unless it's the star of the band any member can be replaced relatively easy.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1443888678' post='2878519']

Sideman or not unless it's the star of the band any member can be replaced relatively easy.

Blue
[/quote]
Depends - no one is irreplaceable but if someone is a major contributor to writing songs or is seen as a core part of the band by the audience, then it is a lot more difficult to replace them without significantly changing the character of the band...

Blue
[/quote]

I think it's fair to say that that depends on the band.

Edited by ahpook

Blue
[/quote]replaced but it won't be the same, if you're just a covers band it doesn't matter, but for a band who've had success with their own material they will never be the same if original members are replaced, look at Status Quo and UK Subs to name but two, both replaced the drummer and bass player, considered by many to be the least important members of the band and neither were ever the same again IMO of course, it's happened with other bands as well, suggestions anyone?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1443895419' post='2878597']
replaced but it won't be the same, if you're just a covers band it doesn't matter, but for a band who've had success with their own material they will never be the same if original members are replaced, look at Status Quo and UK Subs to name but two, both replaced the drummer and bass player, considered by many to be the least important members of the band and neither were ever the same again IMO of course, it's happened with other bands as well, suggestions anyone?
[/quote]

Those guys are pros, I don't think it matters at the bar/pub band level.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1443930214' post='2878749']
Those guys are pros, I don't think it matters at the bar/pub band level.

Blue
[/quote]

I'm not sure in what sense they are 'pro's' and therefore better than the top local bands...
Apart from the name..the rest are plucked from the pub scene anyway...

Everyone can be replaced, even the songwriting star front man, Genesis, Pink Floyd for example?

It's also easy to replace a star band member, Allan Clarke, Paul Jones, Clapton, Peter Green, Moon and Entwistle and Brian Jones.

They decided they couldn't replace John Bonham, but in the end Led Zep did just that.

At the other end of the scale, we've just fired our drummer, of about the last 8 years. He seemed to think his place was guaranteed and he gradually stopped trying.

To get back on topic, if your playing is a hobby then you'll stop and start as you feel like it. Guys like Blue, and me, play because it's in out blood. We'll not stop playing without a fight.

Edited by chris_b

In regards to replacement,I agree, it depends on the band and sometimes location.

We replaced a drummer a year ago, but it wasn't easy. We had wanabes,the inexperienced,and the unskilled.

And on top of all that we had one guy that was good that said [i]" I really want to be in this band "[/i]. Then goes home looks at our schedule and sees how busy we are, then says ;[i] " I can't commit "[/i]

Blue

Edited by blue

Here's another reason;

I think and I could be wrong, if a guy didn't catch the bug early in life ( 12-15 years of age ) and developed a true passion for this kind of work, playing in a working band, had never been a significant part of his/her life, I think it's easy to give up. And in this case it's because he/she was never really in the game.

Blue

Well, it’s been an extremely difficult decision, but for me it’s come to an end today. I’ve been playing, writing, recording and gigging for 30+ years, but as a mature (53) bassist it’s been impossible to find musicians who want to do anything other than ‘classic’ (for that, read ‘dead’) material, and the only way I’m going to explore the music I like is to join a band of teenagers; that’s not going to happen.
I’ll probably be wistful for a while, but when I was about 14 I knew I was going to be a cryptic crossword setter and that aspect of my life is stronger and busier than ever. While it was fun and often very satisfying, music was a bit of a distraction, so now is the time to kiss it goodbye.
There’s now just the small matter of rather a lot of gear to sell off.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1444245958' post='2881593']
Well, it’s been an extremely difficult decision, but for me it’s come to an end today. I’ve been playing, writing, recording and gigging for 30+ years, but as a mature (53) bassist it’s been impossible to find musicians who want to do anything other than ‘classic’ (for that, read ‘dead’) material, and the only way I’m going to explore the music I like is to join a band of teenagers; that’s not going to happen.
I’ll probably be wistful for a while, but when I was about 14 I knew I was going to be a cryptic crossword setter and that aspect of my life is stronger and busier than ever. While it was fun and often very satisfying, music was a bit of a distraction, so now is the time to kiss it goodbye.
There’s now just the small matter of rather a lot of gear to sell off.
[/quote]I didn't start playing bass in a band till I was 53, started off with original stuff too, we later decided to start playing covers because we wanted more gigs, but we still play some original stuff in our set and still come up with the odd new song, shouldn't sell all your gear off, give it a few months and you might find what you're looking for, I did

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1444245958' post='2881593']

When I was about 14 I knew I was going to be a cryptic crossword setter and that aspect of my life is stronger and busier than ever. While it was fun and often very satisfying, music was a bit of a distraction, so now is the time to kiss it goodbye.[/quote]

Were all different, when I was 12 I knew I wanted to be a bass guitar player in a rock & roll band. Rock music and gigging has always been an attraction for me, not a distraction.

Blue

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1444248395' post='2881630']
I didn't start playing bass in a band till I was 53, started off with original stuff too, we later decided to start playing covers because we wanted more gigs, but we still play some original stuff in our set and still come up with the odd new song, shouldn't sell all your gear off, give it a few months and you might find what you're looking for, I did
[/quote]

I think the originals scene in terms of bookings at the local levelis the same in England as it is in the States.

Originals are for bands that do a lot of recording with aspirations to "make it". There's no bar or club work for original bands over here.

Cover bands are for guys that want to make a little extra cash. There's still a lot of work for cover bands, but you have to work hard to get it and maintain a book of business.

Blue

Plenty of original bands round here get work and knowing the quality of some of them, I'm sure they get paid well.
They wouldn't dream of the pub circuit ...altho they might do one or two as a special.

You have to get away from thinking pub work is the be-all and end-all for acts... they are really the first rung of venues, tbh.

Original acts will get work round here if they offer something original and are decent...
Obviously there aren't as many venues as there are pub venues but then the two would hardly go together anyway...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1444251815' post='2881671']
Plenty of original bands round here get work and knowing the quality of some of them, I'm sure they get paid well.
They wouldn't dream of the pub circuit ...altho they might do one or two as a special.

You have to get away from thinking pub work is the be-all and end-all for acts... they are really the first rung of venues, tbh.

Original acts will get work round here if they offer something original and are decent...
Obviously there aren't as many venues as there are pub venues but then the two would hardly go together anyway...
[/quote]

Cool, there no paying work for originals bands in Milwaukee.A handful of originals clubs with those $5.00 backroom cover charge.

Here in Milwaukee,originals bands get offered a lot of no pay charity and benefit work.

Blue