Why become a member? ×

Controlling high volume

Funky Dunky

I'm a bedroom player who has the odd jam. My bass playing is really coming on, and I'm keen to take the plunge and start trying out for bands. I have one problem - volume. I can control my instrument perfectly well at bedroom volume, but when I get past a certain number on the dial, I get noises I struggle to control, as if every tiny little thing produces a noise. Even muting to control the noises seems to cause noise!

How do I tame 'er at high volume? I have to crank it through headphones to practice controlling it, but have you any tips you can share? Is there a pedal (noise gate etc) that can make it any easier?

Thanks guys.

Edited by Funky Dunky

Its difficult to say without hearing you, but can only suggest you ask about lessons from your local music store and go through this with them. A good local semi pro should be able to help. It may be down to mastering some left hand muting technique, but could be set up too. I would also say playing through headphones may be part of the issue, get used to getting the bass and amp gains sorted in a reasonable sized room. have you got used to the head phone sound and everything else now sounds strange ? Hope you can sort it soon good luck.

It's just a question of doing it, practicing at volume, and improving your muting technique.

I do most of my muting with my left hand, the fingers that I'm not using to fret a note, are lying across the strings stopping them from ringing.

Lessons are a great idea.

A noise gate cuts out noise from your gear, hiss that's caused by high frequencies, it stops anything coming through above a preset level.

Edited by ambient

This is guesswork, but your problem might be your EQ settings. Sounds like you've got the high mids and mids boosted. You'll need a different sound for live band work. Try boosting the low mids.

Your bad sound might just be due to your amp. What are you using? You'll probably need more and better gear when playing in a band.

Most string noises will be drowned out by the band but your technique could probably be improved. Don't drag your fingers on the strings. Lift and place. You could also try flatwound strings.

I also suspect that most of the undesirable string noise will be masked by the other instruments in a band setting - if you listen to isolated bass tracks from well known rock songs you can often hear a fair bit of noise but it just seems to disappear in the full mix.

Chris - you're right about my settings! I do have the mids cranked.

The headphones thing - I don't know if I'd say it's what I'm used to and anything else sounds weird. I actually hate playing with headphones on, the headphones I use cut frequencies and make it sound as if my amp is heavily compressed. It seems to kill the sustain like you wouldn't believe.

I'm using a Fender Bronco 40 - it's all I have at the moment and it's a neat little practice amp, but it's a toy, really. It doesn't live and breathe the way a proper amp does.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1440971440' post='2855070']
I also suspect that most of the undesirable string noise will be masked by the other instruments in a band setting - if you listen to isolated bass tracks from well known rock songs you can often hear a fair bit of noise but it just seems to disappear in the full mix.
[/quote]

That is a fair point, actually. Couple of days ago, I listened to Tony Kanal's isolated bass part from Just A Girl (I dig that line and I think he's a great player) and it sounded like utter garbage on its own, like a total novice playing a cheap bass (and he uses a Stingray!).

As ^ ambient ^ says, the best way to learn playing at high volume is to get in a band and do it. You already know it's something that needs to be addressed, so that's half the battle. It's like bands that rehearse endlessly because they want to be good at gigging - but the only way to be good at gigging is to do lots of gigs.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1440973669' post='2855095']
How am I ever going to get through an audition if my playing is littered with squeeeeeeeekrattlehoooooooo, though?
[/quote]

As said above, when the rest of the band is playing you probably won't hear much of that. :)

To be honest , as long as you can hold a tune down, be close on the timing and get on with the others OK , your actual tone and sound is something you can work on to suit the songs being played , besides , they probably wouldn't know that you didn't actually mean to sound like you do :)

How am I ever going to get through an audition if my playing is littered with squeeeeeeeekrattlehoooooooo, though?
[/quote]

Audition. At least you'll get to play at volume with a band, and you never know...

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1440972256' post='2855080']
That is a fair point, actually. Couple of days ago, I listened to Tony Kanal's isolated bass part from Just A Girl (I dig that line and I think he's a great player) and it sounded like utter garbage on its own, like a total novice playing a cheap bass (and he uses a Stingray!).
[/quote]

Yes, many isolated bass tracks of some very famous players sound pretty rotten. John Deacon of Queen and John Taylor of Duran Duran, both their playing in the mix sounds fantastic, yet the isolated tracks I`ve heard of theirs is scratchy, plenty of string noise etc.

[/quote]

It won't be. The ringing of the snare and high hat will mask most of the percussive noises.

What will be harder for you to accept is having to change all your tone settings to fit with the guitar and bass drum.

So more than likely the nice clear tone you're getting in your bedroom will sound wrong and the string noises will be the least of your concerns.

What sort of bass are you playing? The noises you describe sound like your pickups might be microphonic, where they pick up every little vibration right down to your fingers brushing the pickup cover or the strap creaking on the buttons. Most basses have potted pickups to prevent this, but some cheaper or older instruments don't.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1441017658' post='2855288']

It won't be. The ringing of the snare and high hat will mask most of the percussive noises.

What will be harder for you to accept is having to change all your tone settings to fit with the guitar and bass drum.

So more than likely the nice clear tone you're getting in your bedroom will sound wrong and the string noises will be the least of your concerns.
[/quote]

Yip, you're right about that - my sound will likely have to change completely to fit in the mix, and that will take experimenting and compromise.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1441018133' post='2855295']
What sort of bass are you playing? The noises you describe sound like your pickups might be microphonic, where they pick up every little vibration right down to your fingers brushing the pickup cover or the strap creaking on the buttons. Most basses have potted pickups to prevent this, but some cheaper or older instruments don't.
[/quote]

Sterling SUB Ray 4 - active beast. The problem is with this bass. I also have a Squier VM Precision PJ, which is passive and doesn't give the same problems.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1441015248' post='2855253']
The thing about flats is....I play a fair bit of slap, and they're allegedly not much use for slap. I'll give them a shot though, because I'm curious.
[/quote]
D'Addario Chromes are a bright flatwound & get a good sound for slapping & they're among the cheapest decent flats you can get.
However, I had no problems getting a good sound out of Thomastik Infeld Jazz 344s.
The only way to get better at loud volume is with band practice. Some of those sounds actually add to the overall sound too! :)

Your sound can be fixed. Money and good choices will do that for you.

If you want to up your game and play in a band I'd concentrate on your technique and playing stamina.

Work on your timing and get it spot on. The worse thing anyone can do in a band is have bad timing.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1441018491' post='2855302']

Sterling SUB Ray 4 - active beast. The problem is with this bass. I also have a Squier VM Precision PJ, which is passive and doesn't give the same problems.
[/quote]

Audition with the PJ then when you get the gig and have a couple of practices under your belt tell them you want to try out the Sterling to see what it's like.

I wouldn't worry about it :) get out there and get playing in a band, its great fun and for me what it's all about :)

I've never had any complaints about my playing and my isolated bass tracks are full of squeaks and strings slapping the fretboard etc... It's inaudible in the mix and if you tired to cut it all out the track would probably sound dead and lifeless. Also, you learn proper muting techniques etc as you go.

Go for it, you're probably just as good as the rest of us :)