Why become a member? ×

Multi-tracked bass

Nicko

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1440013581' post='2847645']
two basslines?

I hear two simultaneous notes in places, sure, but that's just two notes played at the same time not multitracked... I could be wrong, of course, but that's what I hear :)
[/quote]

In the each guitar solo there's a high part and low part definitely double tracked. It repeats in the outro.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1440071125' post='2848017']
In the each guitar solo there's a high part and low part definitely double tracked. It repeats in the outro.
[/quote]

I used to play that live, plucking two notes simultaneously, I'm pretty sure that's what he does too... or I *was* pretty sure ;) I have to confess I never sat down to analyse it in detail. It just sounded to me like two strings plucked at once (with thumb and index? can't recall and I don't have a bass in the office)... To my ears it sounds right. Try it!

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1440071125' post='2848017']
[/quote]

You got my curiosity going :lol:

I found this, that's how I used to play it, no double tracking :)
The bottom notes are mostly droning, so really easy to play

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82-T9ivCuV0#t=75[/media]

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1440063339' post='2847916']
I can hear two distinct basses during the solo in War Pigs around the 3:40 mark

[media]http://youtu.be/pf8CuLIOCwc[/media]
[/quote]

Yes, not sure if its an echoplex though?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1440078027' post='2848084'] You got my curiosity going :lol: I found this, that's how I used to play it, no double tracking :) The bottom notes are mostly droning, so really easy to play [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82-T9ivCuV0#t=75[/media] [/quote]

You could be right. I've listened to it a few times now. When I played this before I used to play two notes in the high register, not as a pedal. Not sure if the recorded version uses a high note and a pedal, two high and a pedal or multitracking. However he plays it its fantastic.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1440088290' post='2848222']
You could be right. I've listened to it a few times now. When I played this before I used to play two notes in the high register, not as a pedal. Not sure if the recorded version uses a high note and a pedal, two high and a pedal or multitracking. However he plays it its fantastic.
[/quote]

I'm now sure it's not multitracked: he plays it just like I did and if I can do it, doubtless he can do it too ;)

It's actually pretty simple... but beautiful. I like Flea more from BSSM onwards than before BSSM. It seems that at that point he decided to go for less "gymnastics" and more thinking about the actual notes he played, the melody... and he came up with basslines like this one for Scar Tissue, which is just beautiful :)

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1440084241' post='2848165']
Sounds like delay to me on warpigs. back in those days people tended to play only what they could do live
[/quote]

Yeah, could be a delay, hadn't considered that :)

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1440164811' post='2848774']
Give it a couple of minutes. Someone will be along to tell us how dreadful it all is and that the bass guitar should never be a solo instrument and so on.
[/quote]

Yes, not one but 10 bass solos.