Why become a member? ×

Blues Rock Bass Player 'wanted' ad - unbelievable!

JapanAxe

[color=#111111][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Get this:[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#111111][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]'Bass player needed to record and gig original album,blues rock based,diverse though soundgarden zepp qotsa cream,[b]suit a bored guitarist[/b] maybe,got drummers and a rehearsal room lined up,exp preffered solid timing or recording exp'[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#111111][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Yes, any old guitarist can stifle a yawn, pick up a bass, and play blues-based rock. Simple![/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1439244813' post='2841324']
Maybe he (I assume he) meant it would suit someone who was tired of tedious twiddling and wanted to try something more challenging.
Maybe. :D
[/quote]

Ever the optimist :)

Edited by Maude

I hate blues rock as a genre, I also have a strong dislike of guitarists who play blues rock.

I was advertising for experimental/ambient musicians for a project, I had 2 guys contact me both looking fora bass player for their blues rock bands.

I also dislike classic rock :)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1439244813' post='2841324']
Maybe he (I assume he) meant it would suit someone who was tired of tedious twiddling and wanted to try something more challenging.
Maybe. :D
[/quote]

Yes, it will be a "he" we say dumb stuff far more often than women do :D

Edited by leschirons

Early in my playing career, I remember being dismissed as a potential bass player for a Rock project because I wouldn't (not couldn't) play with a pick. I have since done thousands of gigs but the two guys who kicked me into touch, whilst still composing/producing music for TV, have never, to my knowledge, done a gig in their lives :lol:

People have their own sense of reality and that is the end of it. Sometimes their reality clashes with those of others and people say things that sound a bit stupid (like me and DJs at festivals!!). So be it.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1439246623' post='2841335']
I also have a strong dislike of guitarists who play blues rock.
[/quote]
Do you mean a dislike for the guitarists as people, or for their chosen field/techniques?

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1439292523' post='2841559']

Do you mean a dislike for the guitarists as people, or for their chosen field/techniques?
[/quote]

I guess their attitude or mindset, they're usually far too loud and prone to constant widdling.

😊

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1439246623' post='2841335']
I was advertising for experimental/ambient musicians for a project, I had 2 guys contact me both looking fora bass player for their blues rock bands.
[/quote]

Scandalous. One can only imagine they thought you might have a diverse range of musical interests and be interested in another project - how very dare they! I hope you sent them packing with a suitable admonishment.

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1439296758' post='2841614']
Scandalous. One can only imagine they thought you might have a diverse range of musical interests and be interested in another project - how very dare they! I hope you sent them packing with a suitable admonishment.
[/quote]

I have a very wide range of musical interest, unfortunately trying to stay awake during a 10 minute long, over loud, blues rock style guitar solo, during a cover of ZZ Top's whatever in F isn't one of them :).

Edited by ambient

I suspect there are a lot of bands who don't have the experience of a really good bass player.

I'm not talking about someone who can play blistering licks, but someone who can really make the band come alive just by locking in with the drummer on 8th root notes making them groove and not rushing or dragging.

Hence you get adverts like that. They won't get anywhere because they're not looking for the right player simply because they don't know what they need.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1439297803' post='2841628']
They'd be better off making their band 'come alive' by playing something other than bloody blues rock.
[/quote]

I don't know. Our drummer seems to be out every weekend watching some band or other in various venues. There's obviously a big market for it.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1439306374' post='2841733']
I don't know. Our drummer seems to be out every weekend watching some band or other in various venues. There's obviously a big market for it.
[/quote]

There is indeed a big market for it. Doesn't stop it being tedious beyond belief though.