Why become a member? ×

Music holiday in St Ives

Phil Starr

Just got back from a busman's holiday in St Ives, the Cornish one. Went with an old Uni friend and we took guitar and bass with us and did 4 open mics in a week. We had a really great time, the local musicians made us welcome, we even got invited along to jam sessions and we could have done more. In the summer there's music on somewhere every night. We heard some good stuff too.

The audiences were really appreciative, a mixture of locals and holiday makers and we had a great time talking music and playing. My idea of a perfect holiday.

Wonder how many others take instruments with them on holiday and grab the chance to entertain. :)

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1439201725' post='2840686']
Wonder how many others take instruments with them on holiday and grab the chance to entertain. :)
[/quote]

Sounds like you had a much better time than we did. The current mrs discreet and I went on a two-week mid-life crisis group relationship-counselling holiday in the Lake District. What a disaster! We were sent packing after I got my banjo out at the dinner table. Needless to say we won't be going back there for our holiday again next year.

Edited by discreet

Just got back from a busman's holiday in St Ives, the Cornish one. Went with an old Uni friend and we took guitar and bass with us and did 4 open mics in a week. We had a really great time, the local musicians made us welcome, we even got invited along to jam sessions and we could have done more. In the summer there's music on somewhere every night. We heard some good stuff too.

The audiences were really appreciative, a mixture of locals and holiday makers and we had a great time talking music and playing. My idea of a perfect holiday.

[/quote]

That sounds really cool -- Love Cornwall (but it's a long way for Me!!!)

[/quote]

I do - always take an acoustic guitar with me. Got to play at an open mic night at St Columb Major when Mrs Zero and I were in Kernow, and we'll try and get a little more organised next year and do a few more.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439207126' post='2840781']
Sounds like you had a much better time than we did. The current mrs discreet and I went on a two-week mid-life crisis group relationship-counselling holiday in the Lake District. What a disaster! We were sent packing after I got my banjo out at the dinner table. Needless to say we won't be going back there for our holiday again next year.
[/quote]

Oh the dilemma, four string or five string.

Way back when we booked ourselves a fortnight of gigs and based ourselves in some caravans just along the coast from St Ives. I can't remember too much but we played on a stage made of fish crates at Newlyn fish market, RN Culdrose, Lamorna Cove and lots more. We used to get up just before noon and make our way to the Sloop on St Ives harbour. Happy days, a great place.

Love St Ives, we camp at Gwithian every year and kitesurf at the bluff. The wife and I went on holiday with our drummer, his wife and our guitarist to Kos two years ago and a bar in the town had a live solo guy on every night. He usually played guitar and sang to backing tracks and was ok. The bar had drums and a bass and an amp set up as he'd get any muso's up to join him. Needless to say we got up on the 1st night to do 1-2 songs and ended up doing 2 hrs solid. By the end of the fortnight we'd done six nights and essentially drank and ate there for free whenever we walked in.

I'm still getting my head around the words [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] "two-week mid-life crisis group relationship-counselling holiday in the Lake District" [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]all appearing in the same sentence. :blink:[/font][/color]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439207126' post='2840781']
[/quote]
Mind, Duelling Banjos always causes an adverse reaction....!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1439274506' post='2841379']
We're off to Dawlish on Sunday. I would pack the bass, but undoubtedly Mrs RR will fill every conceivable space in the car with stuff we 'need' 😡😁
[/quote]

Bad news Chris.
My family have worked out that I'm even grumpier than normal if I don't take some sort of musical instrument on holiday with me.
My recently acquired cheapo uke bass came to Anglesey last week. Just the job, sitting on the cliffs trying to tempt the Dolphins with music. None came.
If you, or any of your posse, are Derby way before Sunday you're very welcome to borrow it. It takes up little room.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1439241500' post='2841291']
I took an acoustic with me when Mrs Axe and I holidayed near Axminster a couple of years ago, and we had a thoroughly grand evening at Elijah's 'Howl' open mic at the Ax Inn.
[/quote]My home patch, we 'grew' a band there, learned three songs a week betwen 7 and 9.00 then went and performed them at the Howl open mic, then played our first paid gig at the Axe once we had a full set prepared. Wonder if you were there at the same time. This week coincidentally Elijah is moving the open mic to Cloakham Lawns in Axminster, the Axe is going to just run one open mic a month on a Thurs.

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1439291691' post='2841544']
Wasn't that an episode of The Simpsons ?
[/quote]

Yeah, that was in the USA with a big catfish. Ours was in the Lake District with a banjo. Completely different.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1439275765' post='2841391']

Bad news Chris.
My family have worked out that I'm even grumpier than normal if I don't take some sort of musical instrument on holiday with me.
My recently acquired cheapo uke bass came to Anglesey last week. Just the job, sitting on the cliffs trying to tempt the Dolphins with music. None came.
If you, or any of your posse, are Derby way before Sunday you're very welcome to borrow it. It takes up little room.
[/quote]

What a gent, Neil, thanks 😊
Alas I won't be in the area, and thinking about it, I'm not sure what opportunities I'll have to play, what with being stuck in a wet tent with two constantly arguing young kids. I'd be tempted to use it as a head mallet 😉

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1439276878' post='2841401']
My home patch, we 'grew' a band there, learned three songs a week betwen 7 and 9.00 then went and performed them at the Howl open mic, then played our first paid gig at the Axe once we had a full set prepared. Wonder if you were there at the same time. This week coincidentally Elijah is moving the open mic to Cloakham Lawns in Axminster, the Axe is going to just run one open mic a month on a Thurs.
[/quote]
We've just rolled up in Beer a few miles away (just in time for the monsoon), so we'll give Cloakham Lawns a go methinks. Pity no banjo with me though ;)

Edited by howdenspur