Why become a member? ×

Is Keef right, Sgt Peppers is a load of tosh?

PaulWarning

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1439241546' post='2841292']
It's not that he [i]did[/i], just that he had the [i]talent [/i]to, if he'd [i]wanted [/i]to..! :lol:
[/quote]

One of the first ex-Beatles singles that I was aware of was Ringo's Oh My My, a co-write with Vini Poncia. I saw it on a kids TV show with the presenters dancing to it. A catchy song.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1C6rFWfYMg[/media]

Ringo still writes a lot of songs, but generally they are all co-writer. This is from 2010 and is co-written by Joe Walsh. A catchy song that IMHO could have been a hit had it been released earlier when Ringo was known by more people.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRY95PkE7Ik[/media]

Neither are massively groundbreaking, but Ringo has been all about having fun more than pushing boundaries since The Beatles split.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I don't know if I'd like to know him personally, but I like Ringo as a performer/drummer.

The guys he gathers around him make a good band. I've heard more talented people make a worse noise, so good for him.

What do you do and where do you go when the ride that was the Beatles finishes? At least he didn't turn into an embittered "Ginger Baker" type.

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1438991795' post='2839334']
It's simple: If you weren't there, you can't get it. The music is only part of it.
[/quote]

I wasn't there and i don't get it... :D I know it 'changed everything', but also so did other stuff before (Glen Miller was more musically innovative IMO) and other stuff after - Kraftwerk, Acid House? Sabbath? And other stuff will again. That's a good thing!

I'll not go off on my usual rant about the "Fab" four. I'll just chip in with A Day In The Life is one of their least objectionable offerings. Lucy In the Sky is OK. So if Keef was slagging off the album as a whole i'd have to agree.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1439032362' post='2839510']
Otis Redding wrote Dock Of The Bay, a complete change in gear and direction for him, after listening to Sgt Pepper and Brian Holland used to go home after a day at Motown and listen to Beatles records for inspiration.

Brian Wilson said he felt in a battle with The Beatles to produce the best music, and was feeling confident until he heard Stg Pepper. Then he knew they'd won.

Liking or hating this record doesn't change anything. Sgt Pepper is in the top 3 most influential albums of any time. I saw the before and after effect so I think it's at No1.
[/quote]
If there is a top 3 most influential albums, what would be the other two? A tough question I know.

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1439031353' post='2839492']
This. if you weren't there you wont understand the effect of Beatlemania hype of the time. It was after all, the first time the UK had been subjected to it to any real extent, young and old alike went for it hook line and sinker.
Some people who were ther still believe it.
[/quote]

This what I always tell young people when they give a negative opinion on The Beatles;

[i]" You weren't there, so you don't have a valid or credible foundation for your opinion, saying you don't like them means nothing"[/i]

Blue

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1439365095' post='2842112']
Not as influential as The Beatles, but in terms of being influential, Kraftwerk must be in the top 10. And if I had to pick out an influential album, it would be Autobahn.
[/quote]

I really can't talk about The Beatles in terms of music, songs or albums. They were so much more than all of those sub-elements.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1439503890' post='2843496']
I really can't talk about The Beatles in terms of music, songs or albums. They were so much more than all of those sub-elements.

Blue
[/quote]

This is how I feel about the Sex Pistols. Slag them all you like, but for me they changed everything.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1439504616' post='2843502']
This is how I feel about the Sex Pistols. Slag them all you like, but for me they changed everything.
[/quote]

As The Beatles changed everything for me. Nice, one of the few generational comparisons that makes sense to me.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1439503755' post='2843495']
This what I always tell young people when they give a negative opinion on The Beatles;

[i]" You weren't there, so you don't have a valid or credible foundation for your opinion, saying you don't like them means nothing"[/i]

Blue
[/quote]

I didnt like Zep, Cream, The Doors, Deep Purple, most Hendrix, and loads of other stuff. Doesnt make my opinion invalid. I just dont enjoy what they did, doesnt mean I think they were crap - Except for The Doors maybe, I cant see anything good there tbh. :D

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1439548771' post='2843751']... doesnt mean I think they were crap - Except for The Doors maybe, I cant see anything good there tbh. :D
[/quote]

Ah, but you weren't [i]there[/i], were you..? That changes everything, it would seem. :rolleyes:

I'd put [i]Pet Sounds [/i]well up on any list of influential albums.

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1439548771' post='2843751']
Except for The Doors maybe, I cant see anything good there tbh. :D
[/quote]
Thank god it's not just me feels like that :lol: cringeworthy sixth-form lyrics and thoroughly unremarkable music. Everything I've ever heard of The Doors has been utterly meh.

[size=3]But then again, I was only 6 when they released Riders On The Storm which means I wasn't really there, so my opinion counts for now't. ;)[/size]

I was there and TBH I'm not overly keen on most of the music of the 60s. Don't get me wrong there was some good stuff and few of the good tunes were by the Beatles, but for the most part, for me, meh! I enjoyed the 70s more and the 80s even more so; were the bands I enjoyed then influenced by Sgt Pepper? Some may claim they were, but I'm damned if I can hear it, maybe they were just trying to get some Beatles fans to listen to their music? It's all opinion, ultimately. So, if Keef says he thinks Sgt Pepper was a load of tosh, he's right, from his perspective and, bar a couple of tunes on there, I'd agree.

As for the Doors, that's what I discovered what the off button on the radio is for; can't stand them

Blue
[/quote]

If you spoke to me like that my response would be less than courteous. Do you [i]really[/i] speak to people like that?
Let's assume you came across an under-40 who happened to love the Beatles, does their opinion still remain invalid? Or only when it doesn't conform to yours?
I'll assume you refrain from having an opinion on music composed before you were born?

Blue
[/quote]
Then it's no surprise that young people don't like you ... and they are probably put off taking any interest in The Beatles for the rest of their lives ... what a shame.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1439551265' post='2843795']
I'd put [i]Pet Sounds [/i]well up on any list of influential albums.

Thank god it's not just me feels like that :lol: [b][i]cringeworthy sixth-form lyrics[/i][/b] and thoroughly unremarkable music. Everything I've ever heard of The Doors has been utterly meh.

[size=3]But then again, I was only 6 when they released Riders On The Storm which means I wasn't really there, so my opinion counts for now't. ;)[/size]
[/quote]

This...