Why become a member? ×

Is Keef right, Sgt Peppers is a load of tosh?

PaulWarning

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1439559553' post='2843917']
Weren't where ? The states ? Nope. But at 63, yes I was around at the time i thats what you mean.
[/quote]

Noh, I wuz jus' joshin' really. I don't adhere to this 'You weren't there' hype; I never met Mozart, but I'm told he did some cute stuff. :mellow:

I was there, though, here, in '68...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhtJtrr-2K4[/media]

A double bill at the Middle Earth Roundhouse, with alternate Doors, Jefferson Airplane, break, the Airplane then Doors; a show from dusk till dawn. Other artists were Terry Reid, The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown and Blonde On Blonde. I walked home from Chalk Farm to Heathrow, and was still 'out of it' when I got home. Unforgettable; very impressive. No, this was pre-dope and such. Heady stuff, great daze. Embryonic light show for the Airplane, sober white light for the Doors, presence in spades, music to live and die for...
One had to be there, though, to understand, or so I'm told. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1439558302' post='2843903']
They used lots a bass players ... e.g. Harvey Brooks, Ray Neapolitan, Jerry Scheff, Doug Lubahn etc.
[/quote]I was under the impression in the early days Manzarek used some sort of combo organ, used his feet I believe

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1439561396' post='2843940']
I was under the impression in the early days Manzarek used some sort of combo organ, used his feet I believe
[/quote]
I believe he commonly played a Fender Rhodes Bass Piano with his left hand. You can see it at 2.23 in the clip above.

But bassists were used in the studio.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1439561258' post='2843938']
Noh, I wuz jus' joshin' really. I don't adhere to this 'You weren't there' hype; I never met Mozart, but I'm told he did some cute stuff. :mellow:

I was there, though, here, in '68...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhtJtrr-2K4[/media]

A double bill at the Middle Earth Roundhouse, with alternate Doors, Jefferson Airplane, break, the Airplane then Doors; a show from dusk till dawn. Other artists were Terry Reid, The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown and Blonde On Blonde. I walked home from Chalk Farm to Heathrow, and was still 'out of it' when I got home. Unforgettable; very impressive. No, this was pre-dope and such. Heady stuff, great daze. Embryonic light show for the Airplane, sober white light for the Doors, presence in spades, music to live and die for...
One had to be there, though, to understand, or so I'm told. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Watched as much of that as I could stand.

Nah, still dont get it. Might be good if I did, but I still wouldnt like it. Mozart was good, but I dont listen to that either do I ?

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1439561396' post='2843940']
I was under the impression in the early days Manzarek used some sort of combo organ, used his feet I believe
[/quote]

Ray talks about it here wrt Riders on the Storm...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3deQXzV-qTk[/media]

About 1:20

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1439503755' post='2843495']
This what I always tell young people when they give a negative opinion on The Beatles;

[i]" You weren't there, so you don't have a valid or credible foundation for your opinion, saying you don't like them means nothing"[/i]
[/quote]

I'm sure 'young people' wouldn't like you for saying that. But who cares what they think? Your observation is factually correct and anyway, young people mostly know nothing about anything so they're hardly likely to know [i]anything at all[/i] about the impact that Beatles had on wider society unless they trouble themselves to read about it which is doubtful, being as young people seem to do nothing but text their friends and tweet their most recent thoughts on the lines of:

'Saw a cloud. Felt sad. Saw the sun. Felt happy. Share this!'.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1439563095' post='2843967']
I'm sure 'young people' wouldn't like you for saying that. But who cares what they think? Your observation is factually correct and anyway, young people mostly know nothing about anything so they're hardly likely to know [i]anything at all[/i] about the impact that Beatles had on wider society unless they trouble themselves to read about it which is doubtful, being as young people seem to do nothing but text their friends and tweet their most recent thoughts on the lines of:

[/quote]

'Like'

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1439562150' post='2843950']

[/quote]

Do you think they just made doors in the workshop? Me, I'd diversify into windows too

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1439562150' post='2843950']

[/quote]is that hard to play on bass? I must be missing something (1:50ish)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1439557133' post='2843876']
Then it's no surprise that young people don't like you ... and they are probably put off taking any interest in The Beatles for the rest of their lives ... what a shame.
[/quote]

I'm fine with my position and I maintain.

Blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1439563095' post='2843967']

[/quote]

To all younger rock musicians;

If your standing on stage singing and playing an electric guitar. You're influenced by The Beatles.

Case closed.

Blue

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1439561980' post='2843948']
Watched as much of that as I could stand.

Nah, still dont get it. Might be good if I did, but I still wouldnt like it. Mozart was good, but I dont listen to that either do I ?
[/quote]

You weren't there and don't get it. Do you know what year this footage is from? This is a part of the innocent age of rock music, early in the developmental stage laying the foundation for whatever you kids listen to today. And the lyrics are more socially relevant now then they were at the time.

I still don't get why most younger musicians have no use or sense of history. And if your not young like over 60, then I really don't get it.

Even when I was a 9 year old Beatles freak, i still found myself saying, [i]" this is fantastic, but how did it happen, how did it evolve, how did they get there"[/i]

Mozart,? Poor example.

But that's just me. LOL

Blue

Edited by blue

I think that after a few generations many people have forgotten the importance of musical innovation, and just evaluate the music with the ears of someone from 2015. And if the innovation has been influential and lasting, then the music will sound more ordinary. E.g. anyone who thinks that The Beatles were incredibly influential then should accept that Buddy Holly and the Crickets were also very influential, as they influenced The Beatles. (Even to the point of The Beatles being a The Crickets me-too band name, but with the spelling change).

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1439619463' post='2844378']
I think that after a few generations many people have forgotten the importance of musical innovation, and just evaluate the music with the ears of someone from 2015. And if the innovation has been influential and lasting, then the music will sound more ordinary. E.g. anyone who thinks that The Beatles were incredibly influential then should accept that Buddy Holly and the Crickets were also very influential, as they influenced The Beatles. (Even to the point of The Beatles being a The Crickets me-too band name, but with the spelling change).
[/quote]maybe I'm just getting old, but when who was the last really influential artist?in the 50's 60' and 70's they seemed to come round every few years, maybe that's because they were my formative (musically speaking) years

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1439592923' post='2844328']

If your standing on stage singing and playing an electric guitar. You're influenced by The Beatles.
[/quote]
Or: Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Elvis, Scotty Moore, Eddie Cochran, Muddy Waters, The Shadows, the previously mentioned Buddy Holly...the list goes on.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1439593532' post='2844330']
You weren't there and don't get it. Do you know what year this footage is from? This is a part of the innocent age of rock music, early in the developmental stage laying the foundation for whatever you kids listen to today. And the lyrics are more socially relevant now then they were at the time.

I still don't get why most younger musicians have no use or sense of history. And if your not young like over 60, then I really don't get it.

Even when I was a 9 year old Beatles freak, i still found myself saying, [i]" this is fantastic, but how did it happen, how did it evolve, how did they get there"[/i]

Mozart,? Poor example.

But that's just me. LOL

Blue
[/quote]

I was there, its from 68. In 68/69 i was working in a record shop. Kids were buying stuff like that, talking about stuff like that. I was buying back catalogue stuff, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly etc, even Muddy Waters. the sort of thing that did influence people like The Beatles.

If your a kid standing on a stage playing guitar music, your influenced by them, just like the generation before you were

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1439592923' post='2844328'] To all younger rock musicians; If your standing on stage singing and playing an electric guitar. You're influenced by The Beatles. Case closed.[/quote]

That's your mind that's closed, not the case.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1439592923' post='2844328']
To all younger rock musicians;

Case closed.

Blue
[/quote]

No. This I do not agree with. I first stood on stage with a bass when I was 15 because I was influenced by Sweet, Slade, T Rex, The Clash, The Sex Pistols and the increased opportunity to get females. The aforementioned may have well been influenced by The Beatles, but I don't accept my guilt by association.

It a bit like saying because I drive a car I must be influenced by the Model T, when day one for me and cars was Roger Moore in a Lotus.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1439593532' post='2844330']

[/quote]

Oh dear. You are the one who doesn't get it. You really do need to get out more and meet more young people. Particularly those very many young musicians who are listening to The Beatles but also to an absolutely massive array of world music of all genres that has become so easily available via the internet.

Maybe you are only interested in rock, unlike The Beatles who were into all kinds of music, but that just proves how narrow minded you are.

everybody's influenced by somebody, if they take it to another level (not necessarily higher, the Ramones were very influential by stripping rock and roll back to the very basics) then they become influential, but I do wonder who has taken anything to another level in recent years

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1439627687' post='2844444']
No. This I do not agree with. I first stood on stage with a bass when I was 15 because I was influenced by Sweet, Slade, T Rex, The Clash, The Sex Pistols and the increased opportunity to get females. The aforementioned may have well been influenced by The Beatles, but I don't accept my guilt by association.

It a bit like saying because I drive a car I must be influenced by the Model T, when day one for me and cars was Roger Moore in a Lotus.
[/quote]
This. Horace Panter, Bedders and Dave Steele (and subsequently Mark King, a bit of a sideways jump I know :lol:) were the first guys to really inspire me to pick up a bass, so I guess if you follow that line back you could say that my ultimate influences are the original Jamaican ska bassists from the 60s, and later reggae (I'm sure Family Man will have been in there somewhere too). Not a Beatle in sight there if you ask me.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1439628121' post='2844458']
Lets cool things down here and avoid getting personal. There's space for everyone's view.
[/quote]Indeed and of course the thread's title is the opinion of Mr Richards (although I suspect he had an agenda). We should remember the abbreviations IMO and YMMV are often applicable.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1439625307' post='2844414']
maybe I'm just getting old, but when who was the last really influential artist?in the 50's 60' and 70's they seemed to come round every few years, maybe that's because they were my formative (musically speaking) years
[/quote]

IMHO there are tons of influential artists, but you probably aren't aware of who is being influenced. Going back a bit, but look at how influential rap bands such as De La Soul, NWA, etc. were. Dance music pioneers such as Aphex Twin. They defined the sound of a large part of popular music for everyone. I'm sure there are similar bands/musicians now who are hugely influential on other artists, but I don't know who they are. Skrillex?