Why become a member? ×

UK made P-Bass pick-up suggestions

Byo

Hi y'all,

Just writing to see if anyone has any suggestions on a good, all-rounder passive P-Bass pup.
The instrument is a bitsa bass currently sporting a Squier VM (agathis body) with an All-parts rosewood jazz neck (purchased from Beedster!).

I apologise if the topic has been discussed before, but I am looking for a specific product:

I would like to see if you has tried any of the UK companies that are manufacturing pup's, as I would like to stay away from Seymour Duncan's, Fender, etc... as I already have basses equipped with such pups and want to try and support something built "locally".

I have found several UK based companies such as Mojo Pickups, Crash Magnetic Transducers pickups, Catwhisker Pickups, Creamery pickups...

There are also other UK companies that manufacture in Asia, such as Tonerider Pickups (I have a set of 50's single coils in my Strat and they are very nice).

I understand that sound and perception is all down to the player and the equipment being used at that moment, but I am looking for general feedback from you.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,
Byron.

I have used and been impressed by bare knuckle on guitars, although I haven't tried their bass (but would if I needed some new pickups).
They do a choice of types: https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=bass&sub=vintage&pickup=51_flat_pole&series=p_bass

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1434324973' post='2798695']
Crash Magnetic Transducers are on hiatus at the mo I believe, although I have one of their Salt Bass Precision pups in a new build and initial impressions are very good :)

Si
[/quote]

Hi Si,

Yes, I have seen that they have taken "some time off" apparently. I really like the concepts they have for their guitar pickups, a shame they do not come up with some wacky bass pup designs.

I really liked their video for the Jazz pickups, but not the P-Bass demo unfortunately.
The should have gone with the same approach of the J video.

I was tempted to go for a Crash pup, but with the hiatus news... bummer.

How would you describe the SALT pup then?

Edited by Byo

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1434353312' post='2798766']

Hi Si,

Yes, I have seen that they have taken "some time off" apparently. I really like the concepts they have for their guitar pickups, a shame they do not come up with some wacky bass pup designs.

I really liked their video for the Jazz pickups, but not the P-Bass demo unfortunately.
The should have gone with the same approach of the J video.

I was tempted to go for a Crash pup, but with the hiatus news... bummer.

How would you describe the SALT pup then?
[/quote]

From just playing at home, they sound great!! But I literally got the bass back from my luthier last night, so I'll report back after a gig/rehearsal :)

Si

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1434355536' post='2798777']
I've used Gemini Pickups in the past and they're great pickups and very nice to deal with

http://www.geminipickups.co.uk/
[/quote]
[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1434356026' post='2798782']
Armstrong Pickups - [url="http://www.armstrongpickups.co.uk/"] Here [/url] make for some well known bass manufacturers and will make what you want.
[/quote]

Thanks for the links guys!

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1434367413' post='2798904']
Hiho,Wizard thumper is a good choice but seeing that the Wizard has retired hot rod would be the way to go.
If they are the same as the originals then they will be good.
Andy at Wizard was making pick ups for bare knuckles at one time but that,s another story.
[/quote]

A few Wizards got sold in the classifieds in the past year, but you never find what you need when you are looking for it...

A friend of mine has a Thumper in his P-Bass and it has a great sound. I wonder too if HotRod's are the same?

Just found this on one of the classifieds in the forum regarding Squier CV pickups probably being made by Tonerider.

If true, my current P-pup is a Tonerider.

https://tidywords.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/tonerider-pickups-vs-squier-classic-vibe-pickups/

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1434298844' post='2798436']
Entwistle? Cheap and great. Company is British as is design although I suspect actual manufacture might be China though
[/quote]

I was about to suggest Entwistle
I heard a P copy bass with the cheaper of the 2 Pup versions recently
It sounded great, and I'm left wondering how much better the more expensive (PBXN?) pickup is

EDIT: I say "more expensive" - but they're still really cheap, compared to most other makes

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1434372593' post='2798968']

I was about to suggest Entwistle
I heard a P copy bass with the cheaper of the 2 Pup versions recently
It sounded great, and I'm left wondering how much better the more expensive (PBXN?) pickup is

EDIT: I say "more expensive" - but they're still really cheap, compared to most other makes
[/quote]

A lot of love on BC for Entwistle!

Does anybody know the tonal qualities of a "regular" magnet Vs a Neodymium one? I have never played or heard a Neo pup.

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1434367413' post='2798904']
Hiho,Wizard thumper is a good choice but seeing that the Wizard has retired hot rod would be the way to go.
If they are the same as the originals then they will be good.
Andy at Wizard was making pick ups for bare knuckles at one time but that,s another story.
[/quote]+ 1 for Wizard Thumper, if you can find one