Why become a member? ×

What Makes For A Decent B String?

Norris

I've never owned a 5er, but am considering doing my own scratch build one day. I've heard a lot about basses with weak B strings - so what makes for a decent one?

Is it scale length? Guage? What?

Feel free to use some examples, but I'm more interested in the mechanics behind a good B.

Some B strings can feel flabby and ill defined. I've no idea of the mechanics of it as I've played basses with the same scale length and strings which should in theory fell the same but they do not....

I recon it must have something to do with the pickups too and how the low frequencies are picked up and amplified.

The overall quality of the bass, the string gauge but also a good setup. I've played 34" basses that had a better B than other 35, simply because the overall quality of the bass was better.

That's not to say that 35" doesn't have an effect; IMHO it still does, but the quality of the construction of the bass is more important. Which is why I hate cheap Ibanez 5'ers with a passion. Way too sloppy B strings.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1432711396' post='2784067']
Surely the strings being used will make a big difference. Won't they?
[/quote]

yes of course strings make a massive difference but It's not just the strings though.

I've used the same B string on two different 34" basses and one has been tight and punchy and the other flabby and muffled.

... there be some magic afoot in them there B strings.

[quote name='Dregg' timestamp='1432711207' post='2784064']
The overall quality of the bass, the string gauge but also a good setup. I've played 34" basses that had a better B than other 35, simply because the overall quality of the bass was better.

That's not to say that 35" doesn't have an effect; IMHO it still does, but the quality of the construction of the bass is more important.
[/quote]

My experience says the same. All of the guitars in my sig are strung with a B and they are all consistent across strings. There are 34, 35, & 37 (for the B ) scale and bo, set, & thru necks. I think that 35" is a better scale for all strings than 34 (possibly excepting the G.) Build quality is all.

Edited by r16ktx

Out of all the 5 string basses I've played, the 35" have felt the best.

There are very good 34" 5 string basses but IME they have been at the more expensive end of the scale, I'll put that down to better materials, building techniques and QC. Examples, Wal and Sadowsky. I've not played ACG, Shuker or Ken Smith basses but they don't get stick for bad B strings on their 34" basses either.

Lakland Skyline seem to get general praise and use 35" scale. Fender seem to be very patchy for B strings and use 34". IMO it seems to me that it's easier and more consistent to successfully build a mid priced, mass produced 5 string bass using 35" scale.

Bass construction is definitely more important.

My Marleaux is 34 scale and has the best sounding B I've ever played - including a variety of 35 scale instruments and Dingwalls.

That being said - with the stock Marleaux strings on it, it sounded bloody awful. I don't know who makes them.

With D'addario's on it, sounds amazing. Very defined, not flubby at all. I've tried a few other makes on it, but I always come back to D'Addario

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1432720080' post='2784179']
I think it's a good starting point, but 35" doesn't necessitate a good B, nor does a 34" scale mean a bad one.

That said, all the basses I've had that felt good were 35 or above.
[/quote]

Absolutely... I play a 32" scale 5 string and the B tension is great and sounds very full even when slapped

I'm under the impression that hex-core strings tend to be stiffer than round-core - which ought to help with the B; according to this article D'Addario bass strings are all hex-core http://www.bestbassgear.com/ebass/gear/hardware/strings/hex-core-vs-round-core-bass-strings-which-is-right-for-you.html

I've also read more than once that neck-thru basses seem to have a better B than bolt-ons but as has already been mentioned it can and does vary from instrument to instrument!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1433010941' post='2787072']
Nope, imo... but good construction is key.
[/quote]

As a novice I'll try to build it as good as I can. I'll start on something simpler for my first build (telecaster guitar) and hopefully pick up some skills before attempting a 5 string bass

I had a Fender Roscoe Beck which had a far superior B to my Jackson C5p (which isn't half bad really) and it fed a fascination with 'the B'. Both were bolt on 34"

Sold the RB5, and in part trade took an Ibanez BTB676. A great B string but 1 too many strings. 35" neck through.

I bought a Peavey G5. Graphite neck 35". Game over. Perfect B (so far!)

I recently bought a through neck Yamaha TRB 5Pii, and it's been sold. The B was as good as the peavey, but it was much heavier.

I'm thinking a second GV needs to be purchased.

I don't know much about bass construction (I've played 33" 5ers with lovely Bs).
But what I do know is that if you increase the size of the strings core (not the guage of the winding), you increase tension.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1433015981' post='2787142']
I don't know much about bass construction (I've played 33" 5ers with lovely Bs).
But what I do know is that if you increase the size of the strings core (not the guage of the winding), you increase tension.

Si
[/quote]

+1 - for the same string construction & materials, increasing the gauge will up the tension (at the same tuning of course!).
IME the difference isn't linear however. the difference between a 40 and 45 G string is much more pronounced than the difference between a 120 B and a 125B. It's been a while since I've tried to get the Perfectly balanced 5 string set.

I use 118 but no more than 120 on a B...and I think string choice is a factor and they need to be clean
so I think older string certainly don't work for me...
I like the B to sound as close to the E string in terms of tone..and that is relatively easy to achieve
once everything else is covered well.

That is a 'big' question... To some it's almost religion. I used to be a 35" evangelist, but now own three 5 string basses all of which are 34" and they all play great on the B string. That said I have tried plenty of 34" 5-strings with poor to catastrophic B-strings and plenty of 35" basses that all had good to great B-strings. I guess that based on my experience I'd say that you can certainly find (or build) a 34" with a great B string, but it might also turn out horrible. If you go for a 35" chances are the B string will be decent if not great :)