Why become a member? ×

One tiny patch of carpet on the bare wooden stage...

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1432576600' post='2782902']
...and the drummer sticks his kit right in the middle.
[/quote]

Unless I'm missing some kind of joke :huh: , the carpet is there for that exact purpose.

Drumkits tend to slide away when you play them unless they're on a rug or piece of carpet.

1st gig after our drummer had just got hisself a new motor, he forgot his bit of carpet and ended up using all his pristine BMW carpet mats to try and stop his kit splaying all over the stage...oh how we laughed....

I actually spent a lot of the gig with my foot wedged against the bass drum so he had summat to push against..did I get thanks? Nah all I got was 'if you stand here all night my fans can't see me! Bless 'im :)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1432654534' post='2783634']

Unless I'm missing some kind of joke :huh: , the carpet is there for that exact purpose.

Drumkits tend to slide away when you play them unless they're on a rug or piece of carpet.
[/quote]

I'm glad you stepped in. I was beginning to feel like I'd missed something as well.

[/quote]

Ah, so I'm not the only one being confused...

[/quote]

In the olden days our drummer used 4 x 6" nails and a length of bog chain.

2 nails into the floor in front of his bass drum.
2 nails behind him to anchor the bog chain which held his hi-hat in position.
There were a few jarred-off landlords and Town Hall managers in the Bucks / West End / Berks / Oxon area who were not happy with holes in their floors and stages though. :unsure:

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1432657999' post='2783680']

I actually spent a lot of the gig with my foot wedged against the bass drum so he had summat to push against..did I get thanks? Nah all I got was 'if you stand here all night my fans can't see me! Bless 'im :)
[/quote]

I've had to do this too on occasions. Drummer asked me to do it because his bass drum was sliding forward. Or so he claimed. I'm sure it wasn't because he wanted a close up view of my bum all night! :D

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1432662922' post='2783746']

There were a few jarred-off landlords and Town Hall managers in the Bucks / West End / Berks / Oxon area who were not happy with holes in their floors and stages though. :unsure:
[/quote]

This method works less well on tiled or concrete floors and stages. How do I know this..? Well, er (hurrumph...)... :blush:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1432664048' post='2783766']
This method works less well on tiled or concrete floors and stages. How do I know this..? Well, er (hurrumph...)... :blush:
[/quote]

Your name's not Paul by any chance?
Oops, sorry, that Paul sadly passed away some time ago. :sorry:

Edited by Jazzneck

[/quote]
You're missing some kind of joke. ;)

Didn't Jon Anderson take a rug on tour?

No! That was a tepee. Greg Lake took the rug and had a roadie hoover it in front of a full house. It covered a rubber mat to avoid electrocution from the mike stand hence my hilarious comment much to the same effect earlier...

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1432663358' post='2783753']
I've had to do this too on occasions. Drummer asked me to do it because his bass drum was sliding forward. Or so he claimed. I'm sure it wasn't because he wanted a close up view of my bum all night! :D
[/quote]

Hah, full marks for an ingenious - not to mention sneaky - mind.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1432662922' post='2783746']

[/quote]

We got barred from a pub in Redditch for nailing the bass drum to the floor. Funny how picky landlords can be sometimes innit :D

At my daughters first ever gig, at her school, The bass drum actually fell off the stage.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1432657999' post='2783680']
1st gig after our drummer had just got hisself a new motor, he forgot his bit of carpet and ended up using all his pristine BMW carpet mats to try and stop his kit splaying all over the stage...oh how we laughed....

[/quote]

On one of our Munich trips, playing with a gradually disintegrating drumkit supplied by the venue, the drummer had to tie the kit together to stop it migrating.

And some other drummer had nicked the drum stool, so he finished up using a snare drum soft case with a fleece in it to add a bit of height to a small stool.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Not our drummer, carpet or stage but you get the idea.[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
[/font][/color]

[/quote]

Wow someone is over compensating for something aren't they :)