Why become a member? ×

Have you always got one less bass than you need?

gjones

I overheard two cyclists talking to one another today. I heard one say to the other 'I've always got one less bike than I need'.
It reminded me of myself, in regard to basses. I've had a lot of them over the years but however many I've owned, it was always one less than I needed.

Edited by gjones

A friend of mine from work who is a ultra keen cyclist shared this gem of wisdom from the "rules" ( they have a document these cycle people)

The correct number of bikes , or basses in our case is n + 1 , IE the n being the number we currently have plus the one we want.
this equation can also be written as N = S -1 , where S is the number that would result in separation from your significant other ;-)

Edited by synthaside

I've got one more bass than i need - Elderly P and flying V. I like the P best but the V looks so cool! I've got one less amp than i need though, but thats because i need one about the size of a shoebox that i can use as a travel amp, but has 'thud' and is loud enough!

One bike though. 3 sets of handlebars, 3 sets of tyres. I just rebuild if for different jobs!

Same with motorbikes. For many years I always 'needed' three:

Big ass, shaft drive, super-reliable and comfortable tourer type for my 400 miles a week commuting.

Monster engined custom bike for going out with my bike club mates and general fun riding.

Very fast sports bike to remind myself why I always wanted to be a biker.

Then there was the feeling I should really have a 'naked' quick bike, and my custom bike always needed just one more thing changing and, of course, every summer there was a different sports bike calling my name.

I was pretty good and kept the one in, one out system going for years and, as my back weakened the sports bike has now gone but I keep looking at some of the new breed of very quick 'sports tourers' and thinking maybe. . .

Definitely have 1 more than I need just now... well, make that 2 more than I "need", there's my No. 1, then it's identical "spare", then No. 3, which needs to be found a new home.

I could definitely use another motorbike though... :D

From my guitar playing past I have a Les Paul (2, if you include the copy), a Strat, Tele, 335, Ovation acoustic, a dozen or more pedals, and so on. Just a look at my username tells you I know how bad I can be.

I bought a Jazz bass a few years back to mess around with, and then last year got more serious about playing bass rather than guitar. I bought a Precision recently, and I now play nothing else. Thus I appear to have 1 more bass than I need, and 1 more than I want.

I'm assuming this phase will pass...