Why become a member? ×

5 String, neck thru, 35" scale, budget?

Dood

I'm looking out for the above and wondered what's out there?

Carvin XB and Schecter Hellraiser come to mind but it seems that there's less chance of finding all of those specs on one instrument until the price bumps up.

To make it even more difficult, a 16mm string spacing would be beneficial- 17 max.

What's the budget?

I think you could be looking at the Ibanez BTB675 or maybe the Peavey Grind 5, Ibanez is just under 17mm not sure about the spacing on the Peavey. Another option might be the SRFF805.

Until you mentioned the spacing, I was going to say forget about neck-through and look for an MTD Kingston. I've just picked one up from the forum and the low B is immense!

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1429868494' post='2755695']
What's the budget?

I think you could be looking at the Ibanez BTB675 or maybe the Peavey Grind 5, Ibanez is just under 17mm not sure about the spacing on the Peavey. Another option might be the SRFF805.

Until you mentioned the spacing, I was going to say forget about neck-through and look for an MTD Kingston. I've just picked one up from the forum and the low B is immense!
[/quote]
Sadly, the BTB series 5ers are 19mm spacing according to all their blurb.
If you find something which is good in all but the string spacing, and it has a surface-mount bridge (rather than the BTB routed-in saddles) then a replacement bridge is dead easy. I have a few things with the Schaller 2000, both 4 and 5 string - adjustable from about 15.5mm upwards. :-)
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/92918-schaller-2000-bridge-ft-ill-keep-it/

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1429879041' post='2755898']
What about LTD? I think their fivers are 35" scale. And they use EMGs too :D
[/quote]

Are they? I mean, I had a quick look the oter day and dismissed them as I spotted lots of 34" - unless I have myself confused, which isn't unusual at the moment!!

Schecter Stiletto is a really nice pit of kit. Yammy TRB's, Ibanez BTB's. Ive had all three makes in the past and they are solid builds and a quality product.

I wouldn't worry about the through neck thing as I don't think it makes a noticeable difference and would consider the bolt on Stilettos and TRB1004

The tight string spacing is a tricky one hmmmm

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1429869652' post='2755715']
Why does it have to be neck through ? Taking that out of the equation allows for so many more options.
[/quote]

Have to agree here... you're excluding some great basses.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1429879077' post='2755901']
That's a Zephyr isn't it?
[/quote]

I think it is but I bought it off That Ebay as a C5. I said it was a Zephyr when I sold it. Slightly deeper neck than a Grind (which is why I sold it) but lovely build quality.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1429885218' post='2756000']
What were you doing in my back garden?
[/quote]
Stealing pics of your bass, it would seem! :lol:

Zephyr/C5 are the same thing according to the tag mine had on it when I bought it, presumably the 4-string's a C4.

Really must dig mine out & stick some new strings on it.

J.

Thank you for the replies everyone - yes it seems that bolt-on isn't a deal breaker - I just prefer neck through. What I was originally looking for I suspect is just delaying the inevitable that I want to buy a Dingwall Combustion for F# tuning but I'm cutting corners because there's two other pieces of kit I want to buy as well!! Ok, so the combustion is neither a neck through or a 16mm spacing which is a preference, but it's advantages do out-weigh those points.

I'll check out the suggestions and see what I can come up with.

This one, in BFS..http://basschat.co.uk/topic/258666-overwater-progress-series-i-5-string/page__p__2756211__hl__overwater__fromsearch__1#entry2756211
with 16.5mm string spacing and 36" scale.. and it'll be typically superb quality.