Why become a member? ×

Stuff that's too difficult!

julietgreen

My band is adding to our repertoire again and although I'm slightly peevish - why does it always seem that what I want to play isn't 'quite right' or 'a bit lame' or... well yeah. I'm not that attached, though, so I'm happy to have a go at whatever numbers they want to play, but lately they seem to be picking numbers that are really beyond my playing ability - just too damned fast etc. I'm doing my best, but bass is a late discovery for me.

Anyone else had that?

Do I suggest they get a better bassist?

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1427822478' post='2734713']
My band is adding to our repertoire again and although I'm slightly peevish - why does it always seem that what I want to play isn't 'quite right' or 'a bit lame' or... well yeah. I'm not that attached, though, so I'm happy to have a go at whatever numbers they want to play, but lately they seem to be picking numbers that are really beyond my playing ability - just too damned fast etc. I'm doing my best, but bass is a late discovery for me.

Anyone else had that?

[/quote]

In an ideal world, no, just nail the bass parts and shut them all up. However, your post sort of suggests that you feel they are deliberately criticising your bass lines and making life hard for you by choosing difficult numbers.

I'd have a word.

It may well be that the stuff that "isn't quite right" simply means that someone else in the band can't play it! Unless the bass part is a real hook, you may be able to play a simpler version and most people listening would never know (there's been many threads on this subject before!).
If it's something that you just can't play at the moment, then the band have to live with that and move on and find some stuff you all can play, while you practice like mad until eventually you can play stuff like that (don't worry, that [i]will [/i]happen), or tell you they don't think your good enough for the band which is most unlikely: there will be songs with guitar parts the guitarist can't play, songs the singer can't sing, and drum patterns the drummer can't get. That's just how it is in most amateur bands. Unless they're all seasoned 1st class pros and you're not, in which case you're screwed. (joke).The guitarist is never going to suggest things [i]t[/i][i]hey[/i] cant play, likewise the singer won't suggest things[i] they[/i] can't sing, and the drummer is unlikely to have any sensible suggestions anyway (also a joke). So perhaps your suggestions are a bit tough for them, and perhaps they're not as honest about their abilities as you are about yours!
And Icastle and gary mac are right: in a while you can revisit some of the songs you can't seem to play a the moment and you will surprise yourself.

Edited by phil.c60

I guess you could take each song requested and apply one of the following if you cant do it correctly straight away ....

1. If it can be simplified without ruining the song (I often here bands omit bass parts in songs like Rio, Town called malice etc. It gives me the hump, but not sure many other people care or notice). Then do it
2. If you think you need time, say OK I can nail this, but I need time before trying it out with the band
3. If you think its something you cant do in the near future then reject it, saying you cant do it justice right now, its good to try hard, but you must have standards for gigs

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1427825213' post='2734770']
I guess you could take each song requested and apply one of the following if you cant do it correctly straight away ....

1. If it can be simplified without ruining the song (I often here bands omit bass parts in songs like Rio, Town called malice etc. It gives me the hump, but not sure many other people care or notice). Then do it
2. If you think you need time, say OK I can nail this, but I need time before trying it out with the band
3. If you think its something you cant do in the near future then reject it, saying you cant do it justice right now, its good to try hard, but you must have standards for gigs
[/quote]

I'd go with this.

Lots of people simplify parts and most if not all of the rest of your band won't know how the bass line is supposed to be played anyway.

There's stuff I've said no to because I can't play it. It's too fast usually. Sometimes other band members get a bee in their undercrackers because it's a personal favourite and they really want to do it but... TOUGH!!!

Anyone else had that?

[/quote]
There's stretching youself & there's having the piss taken out of you.
I'd go with a more aggressive approach & ask them what their f***ing problem is. Why are they doing this? Do they want to get rid of you but just don't have the balls to do it? I'd want answers to these questions.

Anyone else had that?

[/quote]Perhaps they have every confidence that you will be able to play it. Nothing like testing yourself. I am still very much a beginner, and the feeling i get when i get it right is what keeps me practising.
Incidentally, what numbers are they trying to get you to learn. Perhaps if you name a couple of songs, someone may be able to help you break it down. I wouldn`t have a clue though

Edited by timmo

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1427824438' post='2734750']
It may well be that the stuff that "isn't quite right" simply means that someone else in the band can't play it! Unless the bass part is a real hook, you may be able to play a simpler version and most people listening would never know (there's been many threads on this subject before!).
If it's something that you just can't play at the moment, then the band have to live with that and move on and find some stuff you all can play, while you practice like mad until eventually you can play stuff like that (don't worry, that [i]will [/i]happen), or tell you they don't think your good enough for the band which is most unlikely: there will be songs with guitar parts the guitarist can't play, songs the singer can't sing, and drum patterns the drummer can't get. That's just how it is in most amateur bands. Unless they're all seasoned 1st class pros and you're not, in which case you're screwed. (joke).The guitarist is never going to suggest things [i]t[/i][i]hey[/i] cant play, likewise the singer won't suggest things[i] they[/i] can't sing, and the drummer is unlikely to have any sensible suggestions anyway (also a joke). So perhaps your suggestions are a bit tough for them, and perhaps they're not as honest about their abilities as you are about yours!
And Icastle and gary mac are right: in a while you can revisit some of the songs you can't seem to play a the moment and you will surprise yourself.
[/quote]Totally agree with this. unless you are all top notch muso's. we all have certain songs that we can't seem to nail, whether we are bassists, guitarists, drummers, keys, or whatever, most wont own up to the fact they are struggling with it, and will just say they don't like the song.

When I look back to when I first started playing which was about seven years ago, I was exactly the same as the OP and thought the band was suggesting songs with difficult bass lines on purpose, but a lot of the songs I struggled on then, I can now play note for note as per the original, and I now tend to play what I think works best with the way the other band members play the song.

Remember, there are millions of songs out there to be played, why beat yourself up trying to play something you just can't do at this moment in time, move on to another song, and continue practicing the one you can't play until you nail it, and then go back to them and suggest it at a later date. :)

I agree with a lot of what's been said. Amongst other things, there were songs I knew the correct line to, and could play, but with the band I couldn't make it work, probably because the guitarist was not exactly on the original. Also recently I came back to "Gimme Some Loving", which I hadn't played for a while and realised I'd been playing it wrong for years. It's not like it's hard either.

Generally song choices were made by the singer and/or guitarist, because if they can't/don't want to, it won't work. Drummers can usually do something with any song, even if it's not strictly right, and nobody listens to the bass anyway. :unsure:

Provided what you play fits with the tempo and is in the right key, you'll probably get away with it.

Top responses, folks! Thanks. Of course I agree that I need to keep going till I 'nail' stuff. Sometimes that seems a bit far off. I don't suspect foul play. It's more likely that the choices are indifferent to the demands on the bass player! The latest is 'stricken' by disturbed.

Aye, as people have said, depends on the other members. If you're in, then keep at it, if they're trying to bust you out, don't bother.

Every band I've been in, I've always felt like I couldn't quite nail some of the bass parts. It's part and parcel of being in a good band I think. You start nailing the parts you thought were hard, then something else crops up! ha ha.

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1427838364' post='2734998']
Top responses, folks! Thanks. Of course I agree that I need to keep going till I 'nail' stuff. Sometimes that seems a bit far off. I don't suspect foul play. It's more likely that the choices are indifferent to the demands on the bass player! The latest is 'stricken' by disturbed.
[/quote]

I had to go find it on YouTube as I'd never heard of it.

As far as bass lines go, it's pretty much buried behind everything else.

I reckon you could cut it down, lock in with the drummer, and get away with it. :)

The track also highlights something else, the guitar is doing only a fraction of the work - which is possibly why it sounds 'easy' to the guitarist, they're judging the difficulty of their part and nobody elses. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1427839340' post='2735018']
I had to go find it on YouTube as I'd never heard of it.

As far as bass lines go, it's pretty much buried behind everything else.

I reckon you could cut it down, lock in with the drummer, and get away with it. :)

The track also highlights something else, the guitar is doing only a fraction of the work - which is possibly why it sounds 'easy' to the guitarist, they're judging the difficulty of their part and nobody elses. :)
[/quote]I had to look it up as i had never heard of it either. Some pretty good bass covers on youtube

Edited by timmo