Why become a member? ×

NBD - Sire Marcus Miller V7 Alder-4 AWH *Audio*

discreet

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1427724781' post='2733477']
Haha, dont go there. One thing im happy with is that hopefully Sire have used non standard fittings. This will make it a hassle for me to [s]mess up[/s] mod the bass. Im happy with it as it is......although smaller tuners and a nicer looking bridge might be nice :-)
[/quote]

I toyed with the idea of upgrading tuners and bridge too, but to do it properly would cost in the order of £200 and as the bass cost £268... mind you, if the bass cost £468 it would still be a bargain. But no, I'm not going there. First World issues!! :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1427736080' post='2733660']
Great review, sounds like a lovely bass... wonder if anyone will be mad that you didn't play any slap :P
[/quote]

I can assure you that people would be mad if I did. For those that like all that nonsense, there's this:

http://youtu.be/cPKV0QF9Scg

Edited by discreet

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1427736374' post='2733663']
Here are the promised shots of my V7 5 string bridge. It looks like there is a lot more travel in the saddles than on the 4.
[/quote]

Apart from the obvious difference, they are clearly dissimilar. Clearly a lot of time and thought has gone into this bass... I can't believe Sire would make such a fundamental error. The next step is to try through-body stringing on my 4 and see exactly what the situation is. Maybe I've missed something.

Edited by discreet

I was talking to Jon over at TalkBass about the string-thru issue on the 4-string models after looking at the web site. He ran the E-string thru the bridge and said that it worked fine but it was tight. I had originally thought of getting a 4 and stringing B-E-A-D and I wanted the extra tension on the B-string & E-strings. I figured that if it was tight with the E-string it would probably not work at all for a B-string. Glad I waited . . .

Edited by S.U.B. Zero

[quote name='S.U.B. Zero' timestamp='1427741788' post='2733770']
I was talking to Jon over at TalkBass about the string-thru issue on the 4-string models after looking at the web site. He ran the E-string thru the bridge and said that it worked fine but it was tight. I had originally thought of getting a 4 and stringing B-E-A-D and I wanted the extra tension on the B-string & E-strings. I figured that if it was tight with the E-string it would probably not work at all for a B-string. Glad I waited . . .
[/quote]

That's very interesting, thanks. :) Looks like it's possible then, but not if you want to stick a 'B' string in there. I would probably be reluctant to string flats through-body too, but then I'm reluctant to do that on any bass - flats don't seem to like it much.

Edited by discreet

Just a daft thought (too lazy to check the Thomann site), are the 4's & 5's the same scale length? If so, that could explain why the 4's are intonated nearer the rear of the bridge than the 5's.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1427746309' post='2733870']
...are the 4's & 5's the same scale length? If so, that could explain why the 4's are intonated nearer the rear of the bridge than the 5's.
[/quote]

Yes, the fours and fives are both 34" scale. But their bridges are very different in design.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427746062' post='2733862']

I would probably be reluctant to string flats through-body too, but then I'm reluctant to do that on any bass - flats don't seem to like it much.
[/quote]

Discreet, I know it's a different bass but I've got Thomastik Jazz flats on my string through bridge Stingray Classic and it's absolutely fine - in fact they're my favourite of all strings I've had on the bass and probably bring the best out of me with the bass.

Thanks for the thorough review of the V7 and the sound sample is excellent. As you say these basses are good for a Jazzophobe if you want one in your arsenal - Nice colours as well ......... I'm quite tempted - and just imagine if they made a Precision as well!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1427753173' post='2733992']
I know it's a different bass but I've got Thomastik Jazz flats on my string through bridge Stingray Classic and it's absolutely fine...

Thanks for the thorough review of the V7 and the sound sample is excellent. As you say these basses are good for a Jazzophobe if you want one in your arsenal - Nice colours as well... I'm quite tempted - and just imagine if they made a Precision as well!
[/quote]

I've only used La Bellas through-body and they weren't really happy. I tend to favour through-bridge now anyway - to be honest I really can't detect any difference. I've not used Thomastik before though, thanks for the recommendation - I may try some next time I buy flats. :)

I emailed Mickey Cho, MD at Sire to ask about the likelihood of a P in future - he says as they own the means of production they can do what they like - I took this statement to mean that a P is possible. I suppose it depends on how their current two production models pan out.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1427754224' post='2734004']
...get the neck p/u cavity routed to take a P p/u..? Ok so it'd be a PJ rather than just a P, but any P is better than none :D
[/quote]

It might be a PJ rather than just a P, but more importantly it would no longer be a J..!
Anyway, I have a rather special P in the pipeline as it happens... :ph34r:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1427754466' post='2734007']
I've taken the plunge on an alder 4! How long was the wait for you?
[/quote]

Woot! Nicely done! Mine was seven days from order to delivery, but that was including a weekend, when Germany is apparently closed.
You might see yours on Friday if you're [i]really [/i]lucky, but otherwise Monday or Tuesday at a guess. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1427792465' post='2734187']
Looks lovely, how does it compare to the Vintage Modified Squiers?
[/quote]

I had a VM Jazz 5 for a while (which was a good bass) and currently own a Squier Deluxe Jazz (exceptional value) but this Sire is in a totally different league. Apples and pears. :)

Edited by discreet