Why become a member? ×

NBD - Sire Marcus Miller V7 Alder-4 AWH *Audio*

discreet

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1427883775' post='2735343']
...Iv'e also got a couple of official bags coming from Sire as well soon...
[/quote]

How long are they here for? Perhaps we could all go out for a drink, or something..? :biggrin:

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1427887008' post='2735426']
I'll blame Dave for mine, it was seeing his review that convinced me!
[/quote]

It convinced me, too! And so did Marvin's review among others, both here and at the other place! And of course our own Clarky who spotted them in first place. That's great, though - at least we can share the blame between us... if anyone doesn't like their bass I'll only be partly responsible... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427924430' post='2736044']
Gary, you DO realise it's not a Spector, don't you?? :D
[/quote]
Lol! Yes..... it's OK, I own Hamers, Jacksons, Fenders, ESPs, Wals, Peaveys, Fernandes', etc etc too ;)
This was just TOO good a bass to pass up for my arsenal....

I sent an email to Sire about the through-bridge stringing issue with the 4-string bridge and got this reply:

[left]'The holes for through-body stringing on the four-string bridge are quite close to the saddles as you stated.[/left]
[left]We are now adjusting the through-body holes to be further away from the saddles as they are on the 5-string bass.'[/left]

[left]Good to know Sire are open to feedback and suggestions. :)[/left]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427961270' post='2736243']
I sent an email to Sire about the through-bridge stringing issue with the 4-string bridge and got this reply:

[left]'The holes for through-body stringing on the four-string bridge are quite close to the saddles as you stated.[/left]
[left]We are now adjusting the through-body holes to be further away from the saddles as they are on the 5-string bass.'[/left]

[left]Good to know Sire are open to feedback and suggestions. :)[/left]
[/quote]

Who do they think they are... actually listening to feedback and improving their product as a result of what they hear. :o

It'll never catch on, thats just not the way things are done in the world of bass manufacturing.. :mellow:

Heh, barely :)
Ok, herewith some quick thoughts. Pics will have to wait till the weekend.
First impressions, oh boy it’s pretty. Even Mrs Dog said "Ooh that's lovely, much better looking than your others". Lovely sunburst with a nice grain showing through, looks like a 1 piece body although I doubt it somehow, but they’ve done a great job of hiding the join. Nice quality pearly creamy pickguard, and the neck is gorgeous -- the bound maple fingerboard has flawless pearl block inlays ([i]Mrs Dog: "I like those"[/i]) and all in a high gloss. I don’t normally like high gloss necks but this one feels good -- let’s see if I change my mind after a few sweaty gigs!
It tips the scales at a gnat's over 10lbs, so it’s heavier than my J and my Yam 5 but lighter than my bitsa P -- again we’ll see how I get on with that. As some have said, it’s quite long -- about ¼” longer than both my Fender style 4 strings so it’s a very tight squeeze getting it into my gig bag, but it does eventually fit. Balances well on a strap, no neck dive. The set-up is quite low at the moment, and it does need a tweak – I don’t mind a bit of fret buzz, in fact I quite like it as it adds a bit of grind to the sound, but this one has a bit too much. The D’Addario steels are nice, although I'm more of a nickel man so I think I'll be investing in some Roto nickels before too long.
And the sound. Oh my word. The sound. It is [u]fabulous[/u]. ([i]Mrs Dog: "Oh yes, that sounds good. Do some of that slappy stuff..."[/i]) The eq is really flexible, the bass and treble both have a wide sweep (I've never worked out why people make their eqs this way, turning either of the controls up further than halfway makes the sound totally unusable) but judicious use pays out in spades. The sweepable mid is a great addition, giving a vast array of tonal possibilities. The quintessential Marcus sound is very easy to find, [i]quel surprise[/i] -- I suspect he may have had quite a hand in the design of this eq, not surprising given that his name is on the bass (and it’s quite a nice understated logo too, a classy font) -- and it has the best solo bridge pickup sound I’ve ever heard on a Jazz style bass: the eq means that you can throw in enough bottom & low mid for it not to wimp out. And as if all that eq power wasn’t enough, the excellent passive tone control operates with or without the active controls. So not ony can you can bypass the actives completely for a pure passive sound should you so desire (or if the batteries pack up!), but you can use it as a further colour to the active tonal palette.
All the reviews are right. This blows into the weeds [i]every[/i] Jazz I’ve ever tried, including Fenders costing three times as much and even a Marcus Miller signature. I even prefer it to the Lakland Darryl Jones sig, which up until now was easily my favourite Jazz style 5er. As discreet said, this really is a game-changer. This kicks the living daylights out of everything in its price bracket, and much of the stuff above it: you'd have to spend an absolute shitload of cash to get something better, IMO.
Fender/Squier, sit up and take notice –- there's a new kid in the playground, and he's just stolen all your dinner money.

Nice write up, glad you like it. These things are the real deal (as the Americans say).
I too used to have a Lakland DJ5 and never felt it really cut it compare to my other Jazz basses. It always seemed too warm.
I love useing the bridge pup. As you say it's a very stong pup and takes well to EQ. It's definitly better than any jazz bass ive owned.
As far as the strings go they should be nickels. My V7 had a hang tag on it that stated this. Did yours? They are the same as the stings I have on my other basses which are all defintitly Nickles.

Edited by dave_bass5