Why become a member? ×

NBD - Sire Marcus Miller V7 Alder-4 AWH *Audio*

discreet

I did a fair bit of research before I ordered the Sire.

A few days before ordering it I took a trip to several guitar shops specifically to check out the Squiers and Fenders available. The Squiers were good, however, the VM I saw in one shop, the finish although not bad wasn't very impressive...and I was comparing that to my Ibanez SR300 and Yamaha TRBX. The Squier was ok. There was a very nice Mexican Fender Jazz in another shop, however, I couldn't see why it was over £200 more than the Squier.

I was very happy when I received the Sire that I hadn't bought any of the basses I'd seen in the stores a few days previous. It's a marked step up. As for the length, I think this is only a problem for some gigbags, it fits perfectly in my hard case. It was intended to be shipped with its own gigbag but it was Thomann's decision not to supply it with one ( I seem to remember it making the increased price unattractive for a new kid on the block). I personally don't think the holes for the through stringing are in the wrong place. Looking at the 5 and 4 string bridges it seems to me that the saddles are much deeper on the 4, even then through body stringing is tight but not impossible.

The headstock didn't do much for me initially, but then if you look at some premium Fender clones their headstocks are a bit meh! as well.

Overall, this bass is a winner for me. At this price it really must make other manufacturers sit up. Either Sire make a loss on each one or others are making massive margins

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1428072188' post='2737788']
i caved an ordered a v7 :)
do you think if you really wanted to string thru body on the 4 string, a set of more traditional sized saddles would make this possible?
[/quote]

I'd say yes.

To my mind it's a case of the saddles being very deep on the 4 string version that makes through body stringing difficult (not impossible though).

Thanks for all the excellent and helpful feedback. I'm not in a rush to get a five string, thus my next move is to try and get my hands on both the Sire and Squier. The plan is to attend upcoming bass bashes, if possible, and hope someone has one or both to try :)

The F decal is not important, that's why I already have a Warmoth Jazz with graphite neck. I'm currently in the process of collecting bits for a black/maple Allparts Jazz. In the past I've had the opportunity to try a new Squier VM, new 75 USA reissue, custom shop light relic and a real 70's Jazz side by side. The 70's Jazz easily felt the best, but the other three where pretty close. I was surprised by the feel and playability of the squier, although some of the hardware was noticably less premium compared to the others.

I simply love the Jazz shape, but am not fussed about the F decal. Given time, I'm sure I can look past the headstock and appreciate the Sire for what it is. They do some great colour combinations.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1428091284' post='2738072']
...my next move is to try and get my hands on both the Sire and Squier. The plan is to attend upcoming bass bashes, if possible, and hope someone has one or both to try :)
[/quote]

I think that would be a sensible plan. Having said that, I've bought most of my basses sight unseen, with wildly varying results. Happy with what I've got now - at the moment - but high-end Spector GAS is rearing its ugly head again... :blink:

Edited by discreet

There's a few really strange headstocks on some of the premium Fender copies out there, ones that just make me scratch my head, but I do like the Sire headstock shape. It's fresh, classy and just works in my book (practically too - a bit more mass will help shift deadspots off the fingerboard - have you seen how thick Fender's are now anyone?).
The logo's cool too, nicely understated in that font.

If they did make a 5 string P bass with a similar pre with sweepable mids...

I'd sell my bloody clothes to get one!! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428092069' post='2738085']
Happy with what I've got now - at the moment - but high-end Spector GAS is rearing its ugly head again... :blink:
[/quote]
It never goes away ;)

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1428094885' post='2738119']
...I do like the Sire headstock shape. It's fresh, classy and just works in my book... The logo's cool too, nicely understated in that font...
[/quote]

When I first saw the Sire basses I immediately worried a little about the headstock shape, but I've grown to like it a lot. As a qualified typographer in a another life, I can tell you the decal is indeed understated, classy and nicely designed. Of course that doesn't mean you'll like it. The 'F' decal is overblown, florid, kitsch and way OTT, but it seems to be rather popular for some reason... ;)

Edited by discreet

As this ones on the radar of her who creates internal bleeding from a glance alone I'm told she's now giving it 50% approval...still ambiguous territory, but I'm working my best psychological theory on her ;)

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1428146345' post='2738459']
...she's now giving it 50% approval...still ambiguous territory, but I'm working my best psychological theory on her ;)
[/quote]

As it's Easter, I trust you've bought her a shedload of chocolate..? That can only improve matters. ;)

I've got a Squier VM jazz that I've pimped out a bit and absolutely love it. It plays amazingly well and whilst did level the frets, there wasn't really a problem with them, but it's close to perfect for me now. So I'm a huge fan of budget, yet brilliant basses.

I love the sounds of the Marcus Miller bass - Discreet, that's a nice demo you did - and I love the look of it, especially the headstock. The only thing saving me from my GAS are the comments about the weight and size. My two Tanglewater basses played beautifully, sounded amazing but were 10.5 and 11.5lbs each and were longer than a standard Fender/Squier. I couldn't hack the weight (I have the figure of a ukulele player, not a bass player) and the length made it uncomfortable to play down the nut-end.

So, any idea if there's some variation in weight/size of these things? Something around 8-9lbs and Fendery length would send me straight to Thomann without a second thought!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1428152863' post='2738547']
Discreet, that's a nice demo you did - and I love the look of it, especially the headstock. The only thing saving me from my GAS are the comments about the weight and size... any idea if there's some variation in weight/size of these things? Something around 8-9lbs and Fendery length would send me straight to Thomann without a second thought!
[/quote]

Thanks, it's had nearly 250 downloads - I wish I'd spent a bit more time on it now! :rolleyes: My Alder 4-string V7 is somewhere between 9.50 and 9.75lbs using the bathroom scales method, which isn't too accurate as we know. So it may still be too heavy for you. However, it balances well on its strap (a comfy and fairly wide Mono) and doesn't seem overly bloated in use. I'm assuming the Ash models are lighter? The weight may have something to do with the sustain available, but I'm not entirely convinced.

The fretboard isn't any longer than a Fender, so no increased reach issues - I think the extra length is in the headstock. A Fender J is 116cm in length and the Sire is 118cm. So not a huge difference. It still fits in my hard case and gig bag.

Edit: My Squier Jazz headstock is 23cm in length and the Sire headstock is 25cm in length, so there you have it.

Edited by discreet

Well, NOW I have GAS lol.

My black Overwater Contemporary jazz (that I sold) has the heaviest at over 11.5lbs but had a lot of sustain so I think they're related somewhat. I was looking at the M3 basses too as I imagine they're lighter with their body shape and mahogany bodies but then I realised I have a Yamaha TRBX which is very comparable..

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1428147118' post='2738467']
Yes, a nice box of chocolates and flowers. Also, screen shot Thomanns page and Photoshop in a 25% Easter discount price and leave it open on screen ;-).
[/quote] haha brilliant. I reckon I'm on the home straight with the wife now ....just got to sort out a few car issues first 😎

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428146614' post='2738463']

As it's Easter, I trust you've bought her a shedload of chocolate..? That can only improve matters. ;)
[/quote] Lindt & Thorntons, no expense spared 😇

Are the 5er pick ups standard 5 string size?

i ordered a sunburst alder 4 string last week which showed as in stock, but when i checked back on the thomann website a couple of days later it said it was out of stock and would'nt be in stock till july!
i phoned them up and changed order to a black one instead as i did'nt want to wait till july.

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1428226632' post='2739214']
No 5ers in stock:'(
[/quote]

You snooze....You loose :-).

There is a message on the Sire website saying the next batch should be released in May I believe, but I'd expect later. It sounds like they may be slightly different, at least the 4 string bridge. Let's hope they can keep up the quality without cutting corners.