Why become a member? ×

NBD - Sire Marcus Miller V7 Alder-4 AWH *Audio*

discreet

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1427713310' post='2733251']
Well thank you VERY much!!! I already have GAS for a Squier VM P5, an SVT210HE cab, an SVT610HLF cab and a 300W all valve head of some sort. The last thing I needed was to add one of these to the list!
1st class review by the way ;)
[/quote]

No, thank YOU! :D
You could probably replace the Squier VM P5 with a Sire MM V7 5-er... it would cover a lot more ground sonically, imho. :)
Edit: And from what I can tell from TB, the necks on the fivers are fairly wide... not 100% sure of the string spacing, though.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1427713865' post='2733267']
That looks - and sounds - lovely. Must keep repeating to self: I don't like Jazzes... I don't like Jazzes...
[/quote]

I was anti-Jazz for years and to a certain extent I still am. I have a love/hate issue with the narrow necks. But I really like the idea of Jazzes. I'm slowly coming to terms with them and have for years been going through a cycle of buying and selling them, losing money hand over fist in the process. This V7 is great because it's good enough for any situation yet is affordable enough for me to keep and finally break the cycle! Try one - if you don't like it I'm sure you'll have a queue of eager punters waiting to bite your hand off for it!

Edited by discreet

Yes great review! Cracking soundclip too..
I was hoping not to like it (and kind of expected to as usually active Jazzes leave me a bit cold - simple P bass lover here so no surprise there) but when the bass kicked in on your track, I actually did a real-world facepalm! Awesome tone there 👌 and only one of the many it's capable of.
I've been considering a Sub Ray 5 as a fun second bass to cop a bit of a Chili Peppers kind of vibe but now this!!

You picked the best finish too by the way (although you already know this ;) ).

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1427716181' post='2733304']
Yes great review! Cracking soundclip too... when the bass kicked in on your track, I actually did a real-world facepalm! Awesome tone there �� and only one of the many it's capable of...
[/quote]

You're very kind... :) I deliberately recorded the bass flat with no processing. That's what it sounds like out of the box, pretty much. You only need to make very small adjustments to the controls to produce big differences in tone. I reckon there's something in there for everyone, even Old Skool P-Bass men like us... ;)

Edited by discreet

Thanks for a great review of what looks (and sounds) like a killer bass at a great price. A game changer for sure as you rightly state. Picking up on a couple of points and looking at your photos: (i) the through body stringing option looks like it will involve a near 90 degree string break over the saddle, especially on the 'E' string, is this the case or is it just the angle of the photo?; (ii) again, from the photos of the controls, I'm guessing they are as high above the bell plate because there is only a single nut on the top side of the plate. If you added a second nut underneath the bell plate (or adjust one that's already there), it should be possible to lower the knobs down closer to the plate.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1427716694' post='2733314']
(i) the through body stringing option looks like it will involve a near 90 degree string break over the saddle, especially on the 'E' string, is this the case or is it just the angle of the photo?
[/quote]

No, you're right - in fact after I set the intonation on the 'E' string, the through-body hole is actually partially covered by the big, wide saddle so (on my bass at least) it probably wouldn't be possible to string through-body. Or inadvisable, anyway. Not an issue for me as I think the difference between through bridge and through body is minimal or even non-existent, but it could be a problem for some. Good spot! :)

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1427716694' post='2733314']
(ii) again, from the photos of the controls, I'm guessing they are as high above the bell plate because there is only a single nut on the top side of the plate. If you added a second nut underneath the bell plate (or adjust one that's already there), it should be possible to lower the knobs down closer to the plate.
[/quote]

That would be very useful as presumably this would lower the height of the stack knobs and make them less prone to being knocked about and accidentally damaged. As well as improving the cosmetics, of course. I'll have a peek under the bell plate (not a euphemism) later on and report back. Another good point. :)

Edited by discreet

OK, here's a gut shot of the circuit under the bell plate... it looks as if there's a second nut on the vol/tone stack and the mini switch but nothing on the other pots. In any case there's not a lot of room under there! And that PCB isn't going to allow a lot of wiggle room vertically.

Edited by discreet

So we posted gut shots at more or less exactly the same time?? What's THAT about Dave?? :lol:

Edit: Interestingly you can see the single screw hole at the point of the bell plate in my pic is right on the edge of the rout - in your pic it seems to be perfectly OK. I wonder if this is a QC issue? :)

Edited by discreet

Your shot looks a lot clearer than mine. I was holding the camera with one hand while trying to keep the bass from falling off a chair lol.

i see what you mean about the screw hole, but maybe its just the angle of the shot.
This is mine face on.

EDIT. Actually, looking at your first shot on in the review it seems your bell plate doesn't quite fit. there seems like a gap between the plate and the PG, and yes, the whole does look a bit closer than mine.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1427722893' post='2733429']
As far as stringing through body. Mine is and ive not noticed any issues with tuning or intonation so far.
[/quote]

Here's a pic of my bridge at the 'E'... you can see the angle would be pretty fierce for a through-body string.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1427723427' post='2733443']
...looking at your first shot on in the review it seems your bell plate doesn't quite fit. there seems like a gap between the plate and the PG, and yes, the whole does look a bit closer than mine.
[/quote]

Oh God, NO!! Shall I send it back?? :D

Taking the plate off and replacing it has made it fit a lot better. The screw still holds firm at the bell point so I'm not going to worry about it. That will be the first and last time the bell plate gets removed, at least as long as the bass is in my possession. :)

Edited by discreet

I see what you mean, at least in that image. ill check mine out later and see if its any different. It did come strung through body, although im sure all the images/reviews ive seen of the 4 string they have been top loaded. Maybe the bridges are different (other than the extra saddle).

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1427723910' post='2733451']
I see what you mean, at least in that image. ill check mine out later and see if its any different. It did come strung through body, although im sure all the images/reviews ive seen of the 4 string they have been top loaded. Maybe the bridges are different (other than the extra saddle).
[/quote]

I'm not clever enough to figure out if through-body stringing would alter the position of the saddle re intonation?
Or would it be just the same?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427723815' post='2733450']
Oh God, NO!! Shall I send it back?? :D

Taking the plate off and replacing it has made it fit a lot better. The screw still holds firm at the bell point so I'm not going to worry about it. That will be the first and last time the bell plate gets removed, at least as long as the bass is in my possession. :)
[/quote]

Haha, no, i wasn't saying its an issue, i'd live with it as well.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427724093' post='2733455']
I'm not clever enough to figure out if through-body stringing would alter the position of the saddle re intonation? Or would it be just the same?
[/quote]

No idea. ive read a few comments about it not being ideal but as its working for me im going to stick with it. I dont think my saddles are as close to the hole's as yours.
In fact ive also read that the top loading holes are in the wrong position as they can interfere with the intonation screws. Each to his own i guess.

EDIT. Looking on the Sire website there is a difference between the 4 and 5 sting bridges. The 5 sting seems a bit deeper, and the 4 sting is secured at each corner.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1427724270' post='2733463']
...I've also read that the top loading holes are in the wrong position as they can interfere with the intonation screws.
[/quote]

I've had no problems adjusting the intonation or accessing the screws.
However, as there seem to be one or two issues with the bridge does that mean I can justify a Hipshot 'A'-Style now please?? :D

Edited by discreet

Haha, dont go there. One thing im happy with is that hopefully Sire have used non standard fittings. This will make it a hassle for me to [s]mess up[/s] mod the bass. Im happy with it as it is......although smaller tuners and a nicer looking bridge might be nice :-)