Why become a member? ×

NBD - Sire Marcus Miller V7 Alder-4 AWH *Audio*

discreet

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1429264430' post='2749766']
I felt the default volume level of the pre amp was set too high. It was very easy to distort my input channel if i turned the bass boost up more an a few notches. Its very, very versatile though, although much more than ill ever need or use.
[/quote]

I see where you're coming from, Dave. However, I've left mine as it is - I think if you boost the bass and you're rattling the windows it's God's way of telling you that you've dialled in enough low end. ;) This equates to a 16th of a turn clockwise through my rig... but through a Turbosound PA, just having everything flat results in a fine sufficiency of [i]everything[/i] and the earthquake control can be left well alone!

Edited by discreet

Im talking just a small turn of the low end knob. I think mine was set a big high. It was more noticeable when i check the input stage on my Focusrite 2i2 rather than my amp, but once i backed the trim off in the bass it was a lot more even when switching between modes.

What cab do you have? I have a 1212L and it can handle most things, but ive always thought the cab has a very distinctive tone that definitely imprints on to any bass ive used.
ive been meaning to get something more traditional sounding for a few years but..well the 1212L has never struggled with volume so if its not broken.....

I did prefer my 1210R but that was a bit too heavy ;-)

Ive been wanting a 21012 for years, but due to how small and light my 1212L is ive just stuck with that. Its the mid-hump that sometimes annoys me with the 1212L. I can dial it down but not out.
Still, its the only cab ive owned where ive been asked to turn down so its not all bad.

I hate you.

You see:

I'm not a big fan of Jazz basses (except the sound)... yet I own 6 of them: Three Fender 75RI, a fantastic Squier, a beautiful J&D, and what was my first real bass: a Vintage brand clone. I dislike their thin necks, the huge bodies... but they sound great and look great too.

Oh, and a Cort MM/J which to all intents is a sort of a "super Jazz".

In addition, I am waiting for a P/J I ordered from Maruszczyc, which will give me the compromise I like between a P and a fat J.

But damn, that is a thing of beauty, and it looks like the preamp instead of being a gimmick as it's often the case in cheaper instruments, it's actually useful!

So... I find myself wanting one, really wanting one.

I hate you.

Lots.

But I loved the clip, can't get it out of my mind now. :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1429360299' post='2750778']
I'm not a big fan of Jazz basses (except the sound)... yet I own 6 of them: Three Fender 75RI, a fantastic Squier, a beautiful J&D, and what was my first real bass: a Vintage brand clone. I dislike their thin necks, the huge bodies... but they sound great and look great too. Oh, and a Cort MM/J which to all intents is a sort of a "super Jazz".
[/quote]

This is very much a 'Super Jazz' too. Our opinions on Jazz basses are similar. After nearly 40 years of love/hate with Jazzes am I finally coming to terms with them, and this MM Jazz is the bass that helped me to do so. Your Jazz collection is impressive, but you could certainly replace some (if not all!) with this Marcus Miller Jazz, because it does everything a Jazz Bass should do, and more. It actually reminds me of my Spector Euro in a lot of ways too, which sounds strange, but anyone who has played both with know what I'm talking about.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1429360299' post='2750778']
But I loved the clip, can't get it out of my mind now. :)
[/quote]

I thank you! :thank_you: :)

Edited by discreet