Why become a member? ×

Fender MIM

andy67

do you own a Fender MIM?

I own a 2012 precision, it's beautifully made and the second best maple necked Fender I've owned. (Classic 50's precision being the best) I just changed the stock pup to a bass lines spb-3 and it sings!

Thoughts from owners, previous owners, potential owners etc please 😃

Edited by andy67

I own a 2009 classic 70's MIM jazz. Plays like a dream. For sale at the moment as I don't play much fours these days. Shame to move it on but it doesn't get the playing it deserves.

[URL=http://s37.photobucket.com/user/hessler312/media/DSC00518_zpspdezfg05.jpg.html][IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/hessler312/DSC00518_zpspdezfg05.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I have a 60th anniversary MIM Precision. The pickup was a bit weak, so I changed it for a US jobbie. I also changed the pickguard, bridge (for a BadAss 3) and tuners (Hipshot). It still doesn't match my Warwick, but it's my first reserve.

Edited by GregBass

I have a lefty 90's MIM Jazz in midnight wine. I think the only remaining original parts are the body and neck. It has Schaller tuners, a hand-made bone nut, a Jaco Pastorius monogram neck plate (I know...), Fender chrome straplocks, chrome knobs, a Badass II Bridge, a Fender chrome pickup cover on the neck pickup, a black pickguard, and Bartolini pickups. It sounded good on the stock pickups but I thought this was a cheaper way of mixing up the tones I can get from my basses, its certainly added a clarity of tone but the originals were not at all bad. I may end up selling this soon if I invest in a new bass to treat myself purely because I haven't had it from new and so it doesn't entirely feel mine, if you see what I mean? Plus I can only justify one fretted bass in the house.

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1426194935' post='2715619']
I have a 60th anniversary MIM Precision. The pickup was a bit weak, so I changed it for a US jobbie. I also changed the pickguard, bridge (for a BadAss 3) and tuners (Hipshot). It still doesn't match my Warwick, but it's my first reserve.
[/quote]

Hi GregBass

I have a great MIM precision from I think 2003 with a lovely neck I prefer to the U.S. versions I try out in local music shops. I did try swapping the pick up for Seymour Duncan SP3 but I found it too boomy and preferred the stock MIM but I wonder if it is worth trying the U.S. stock pick up. Did it make it much difference to the tone when you upgraded it please?

I`ve had a fair few, and the post 2008 ones have been a significant notch up in quality. Yes I prefer the US Standards, but I don`t think they are 3 times as good (and they`re priced nearly 3 times that of the MIMs).

I have a MIM Precision for a while. Am not a certified Fender man, so felt like a good way to try the brand and instruments without burning a bigger hole in my pocket.

I should have probably taken LeonShelley's advice - I guess I was trying by buying! :lol:

But no, no regrets. I have no doubts - not withstanding the odd QC issue reported here - that the US, Japanese, etc, are better; but it's a good way to get into it :)

I've had a MiM 60s classic Jazz (the cellulose finished one) for a couple of years and love it, I was plying it at rehearsal this evening. I also have a MiM standard Jazz which sounds much better than the US Standard I used to have (and also much better than the other MiM jazzes in the shop).

I have a MIM Pawn Shop Mustang. Fit and finish are as good as any recent MIJ or USA instrument I've played.

I have to say when I first tried out MIM Precisions about 10 years ago, that was not the case, they were vey uninspiring.

I have a Roadworn Fender Jazz. These unbelievably fab basses are MIM
It's honestly the best bass I've ever owned, or even played
I also have a US Jazz, that is superb
But the MIM Roadworn is by far the better bass

I replaced the pickups with some Dimarzios, and it now has a fuller sound
Still with that vintage Fender tone....

The quality and feel of Fender Roadworn basses is just amazing
It really "feels" like it's been played for years & years

I wouldn't swap it for anything :)

When I went out shopping for my jazz I wanted the Squier CV, but also tried a Mex standard and US standard, and spent my hard earned on theMex, felt much more solid and well made than either of the others, the US had a plectrum sized gap round the neck joint, the Squier just felt...ok....the Mex was lightest too. Sound wise the US was best, but not over twice as good, and that was the price difference. Since added Dimarzio pups, all good, best neck for me that I've ever played, sooo comfortable.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1426240168' post='2715940']
Never got the hang of using a pick, so I don't need anywhere to keep one.
[/quote]

oh me neither on bass. I've just started playing guitar again recently and i can't really use one properly on that either... damn thing keeps turning round in my hand.

[quote name='stubass' timestamp='1426197116' post='2715658']
I posted my joy yesterday :) it's a 2013 and in another league to the mid 90's one I had. Neck is unbelievably good.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/257615-nbd-kinda/page__pid__2715594#entry2715594"]http://basschat.co.u...94#entry2715594[/url]
[/quote]

Same as mine! Aren't the necks exquisite? :) I've added the basslines spb-3 that's all, it really really is a cracking bass! The stock pups were great but the BL SPB-3 have enhanced an already cool instrument. I may change the bridge for an American deluxe at some point but that will be it.

[quote name='Shylock' timestamp='1426197554' post='2715672']
Hi GregBass

I have a great MIM precision from I think 2003 with a lovely neck I prefer to the U.S. versions I try out in local music shops. I did try swapping the pick up for Seymour Duncan SP3 but I found it too boomy and preferred the stock MIM but I wonder if it is worth trying the U.S. stock pick up. Did it make it much difference to the tone when you upgraded it please?
[/quote]

Shylock - the pickup did make a difference, but the degree is always difficult to assess as it's a personal thing. The US pickup just seemed to have more .... more depth, more punch, more clang. Of course, other people's mileage may vary.

It may be worth looking for a used US pickup on here - you should be able to get your money back if you don't like the difference it makes.