Why become a member? ×

Fender MIM

andy67

As GregBass says, the American pups are brill! I like the SPB-3 as it gives me more of the boom I like :)

And as if by magic ... these appear: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/257527-fender-usa-precision-pickup/

Edited by andy67

[quote name='Shylock' timestamp='1426197554' post='2715672']
I have a great MIM precision from I think 2003 with a lovely neck I prefer to the U.S. versions I try out in local music shops. I did try swapping the pick up for Seymour Duncan SP3 but I found it too boomy and preferred the stock MIM but I wonder if it is worth trying the U.S. stock pick up. Did it make it much difference to the tone when you upgraded it please?
[/quote]
I swapped the MIM pickups for SP3s. I measured the inductance of both at the time (it's a geek thing). The SP3s were twice the inductance (more windings) of the stock MIMs so would tend towards the boomy end, depending on what follows though. Mine was not excessively boomy, even wiith flats.

[quote name='andy67' timestamp='1426254831' post='2716212']

Same as mine! Aren't the necks exquisite? :) I've added the basslines spb-3 that's all, it really really is a cracking bass! The stock pups were great but the BL SPB-3 have enhanced an already cool instrument. I may change the bridge for an American deluxe at some point but that will be it.
[/quote]

It's the finish on the neck that I'm impressed with most. The stock pickups were good but I just like to have others to try out, the thumper is a powerful beast in comparison! My jazz has schaller tuners, gotoh 203 bridge, classic 60's pickups and a KiOgon solderless harness. It was in a sorry state when I got her but awesome now. It's a 2007 and while the neck is lovely, the finish on the body contours aren't as smooth as my precision. Quality has almost certainly improved massively in the last few years.

Ive played usa and MIM and I'd prefer the USA if I didn't have to pay for it. Value for money, the mim is not half the quality even though it's half the price. IMHO obviously.

Geddy lee bass (also IMHO) is the nicest fender I've played, but that was a Japanese made instrument.

I've said a couple of times before but I think since 2009 ish, it has been a bit of a golden period for the Mexico factory. My 2010 Jazz is absolutely superb. Lightweight, flawless fretwork and beautifully finished. Tonally it's big and punchy with a crisp growl. It knocks spots off of the other Jazzes i've owned and played (including the Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller I owned). A couple of my mates have Mexi Guitars (Baja Tele and Standard Strat) and they are both hugely impressive, well finished instruments. I think the current Mexico line is being slept on (as much as can be with a Fender) It really is a different kettle of fish atm to previous years (by all accounts). I'm sure there are still some poor ones but (cliche alert) that is the same of every Fender range.

Edited by 40hz