Why become a member? ×

Finally GAS Free?

drewk_ie

So I must be going through a premature mid life crisis of something of that nature... After many years of pent up GAS (pardon the pun)... I think I've reached nirvana, if that's possible...

I spent years gathering a nice little collection of pre ernie ball basses (started when I saw Simon Gallup in Orange), but have now just wittled down to two! and Ampeg rigs (hats off to Gene). Only to realise that there were so many other Amps & cabs that I hadn't tried...

And so the Gear Acquisition Syndrome kicked in... From H&H to Trace Elliott to Hevos to Genz Benz and everything in between...

Any who to cut a long storey short... Right back where I started again... Ampeg all the way...

Me too. One bass (admittedly a home-made / custom Jazz bass) that covers all the basses (pun intended) and one amp that's pretty transparent (modified SWR SM400) into a Hartke hydride 410 and a custom (me again) pedalboard sees me content with all of my kit.

Does it count if you've made most of the stuff yourself? I reckon so!

Oh, God. I've been round and round the houses for the last five years or so only to find what would be pretty much ideal for me now sound-wise is a set-up that I was using in the early 90s... that is, [i]if[/i] i can also have a tech and a roadie...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='drewk_ie' timestamp='1424727032' post='2699812']
So I must be going through a premature mid life crisis of something of that nature... After many years of pent up GAS (pardon the pun)... I think I've reached nirvana, if that's possible...

I spent years gathering a nice little collection of pre ernie ball basses (started when I saw Simon Gallup in Orange), but have now just wittled down to two! and Ampeg rigs (hats off to Gene). Only to realise that there were so many other Amps & cabs that I hadn't tried...

And so the Gear Acquisition Syndrome kicked in... From H&H to Trace Elliott to Hevos to Genz Benz and everything in between...

Any who to cut a long storey short... Right back where I started again... Ampeg all the way...
[/quote]Please come back to us in a year's time and tell us you are still "gas free", I'd be surprised if you are!!! ;)

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1424775512' post='2700228']
Please come back to us in a year's time and tell us you are still "gas free", I'd be surprised if you are!!! ;)
[/quote]

Trying to imagine a year's worth of GAS and have a mental picture of a hot air balloon With Phileas Fogg and Passepartout in it.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1424776120' post='2700239']
...not convinced that I've found the perfect bass yet.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424776279' post='2700241']
I think I found mine but sold it... I'm working on that. ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1424777514' post='2700255']
I have now decide without a doubt that out of all my P basses my 73 P, has the best sound and feel (so no P gas to be found).. one small step..
[/quote]

Something else I wanted to hear! It's all falling into place now! :D

Edited by discreet

I fear that as long as I remain on this forum, I will never truly cure my GAS.

Back in 2013, I thought I was cured. I'd found and purchased an 8-string, and I had everything else I wanted covered. Well, except a valve head, and there seemed to lots of threads praising the Ashdown LB30, so I tried one of those and left the shop with it half an hour later. Trouble was, they let me plug a Gibson Thunderbird into it in the shop, and I started to want one. It can only have been a couple of months later that Billy Apple's T-bird went up for sale and I decided that was quite definitely the best deal I was going to get on one. I spent the train ride home thinking, [i]yes, this is it. This is the nicest bass I've ever played and now it's mine, and I will not have any desire to buy another bass for several years. I hope.[/i]

That lasted all of nine months, after which I received a deep and very infectious bite from the fretless bug ([i]Cucilidus fretlus[/i]). But that was fine; that was a different [i]type [/i]of bass altogether, like the 8-string. And I'd have to learn how to play it properly, so that would keep my mind off my dreadful GAS for a while.

Well, it did, for perhaps another seven or eight months, and then our guitarist upgraded to a Blackstar combo. Same wattage as his old Blues Junior, but considerably louder. Suddenly I didn't feel that my LB30 was going to cope so well...how fortuitous that Merton should have put his CTM100 up for sale last month.

Now I'm done. Definitely. Except for possibly wanting a little 1x10 cab so I can take my LB30 home and set it up as a bedroom practice rig. But that's all. Honest.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1424777703' post='2700260']
I fear that as long as I remain on this forum, I will never truly cure my GAS.
[/quote]
[quote name='1970' timestamp='1424777756' post='2700261']
GAS is like herpes. It never goes away. You'll get a flare up, mark my words.
[/quote]
[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1424777793' post='2700262']
And oh, how it itches...
[/quote]

Since I joined BassChat my underpants have been constantly full of Zovirax.

Ive got one bass that cant be improved - for me theres no way I could improve on it.
ive got another that my wife gave me and is awesome sounding.
and a third that is lovely and realistically I wouldnt find an improvement unless I added a lot more money to it.

amps ive fannied around with so much stuff the last few years- but finally found an amp that both sounds amazing and also fits with the basses ive got.

Sometime a fretless and a ray would be nice but... im happy for now.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424778072' post='2700271']
Since I joined BassChat my underpants have been constantly full of Zovirax.
[/quote]
Good band name!

For the first time since switching to bass 3 years back I am happy with my current SR5 set up. Its working for me live and on our current recordings I'm also happy with my amplification and pedals-No gas here, which is just as well as no money left :)

What is it about GAS that you move on gear for perfectly valid reasons at one time, only to sometime later wish you had it back/another one?

It took me a good few Jazz basses to come to the conclusion that I don't like them very much. I felt like Charlie Brown where he keeps going to kick the football, and Lucy moved it every time...but he keeps going back, because this time he'll get it!

....and the cycle starts again! :(

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1424799064' post='2700602']
It took me a good few Jazz basses to come to the conclusion that I don't like them very much. I felt like Charlie Brown where he keeps going to kick the football, and Lucy moved it every time...but he keeps going back, because this time he'll get it!
[/quote]

I have exactly the same problem. I like the look and the concept of Jazz basses, but it turns out I don't like playing them much. My solution was to buy a Squier Jazz and keep it, so I don't constantly buy them and sell them on!