Why become a member? ×

Using an all valve guitar head for bass?

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1424645123' post='2698804']
My first proper amp was a Laney Klipp. From what I can gather, they were more popular among bass players than guitarists.

I did eventually destroy it but I suspect that has more to do with me not knowing anything about valve amps at the time and not being very careful with what I plugged it into.
[/quote]

My first amp was a Laney Klip 100watt too. I connected it to a Carlsbro 2x15 cab.....soooo heavy ....and I used to have to take it upstairs to my bedroom because Mum wouldn't let me keep it downstairs :shok:

I had an Arbiter bass,one of those we can't discuss on here :ph34r: that was "stereo" ...I thought I was so original and cool running one lead into the distortion "Klip" channel and one into the clean channel :blush:

It worked brilliantly so my vote goes for ....yes.....you can!

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1424645922' post='2698810']
If it's an old valve head from the 1970s, then chances are it was designed for use as either a lead guitar or bass guitar amp.
[/quote]

Very good point - in fact, casting my mind even further back than the HH, my very first amp in about 1980, was an old Selmer Treble & Bass, wherein the clue was in the name. I ran that through a matching Selmer 2x12 and a home-made 1x12 reflex cab. No idea how wildly mismatched the impedances must have been, but nothing blew up and it sounded pretty awesome to my tender teenage lugholes.

J.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1424645922' post='2698810']
If it's an old valve head from the 1970s, then chances are it was designed for use as either a lead guitar or bass guitar amp. I use a Sound City 120, which can be used as either. The only differences between different models was the occasional inclusion of a spring reverb or an effects loop. When I was student my amp was a Simms Watts AP120 - the AP stood for "all purpose", since it could handle everything including keyboards. The Simms Watts PA100 only differed in that it had more inputs.
[/quote]

My Hiwatt Pa amp dating back to the 70's would testify to that , I've had it serviced by Dennis Marshall ( http://www.dennismarshall.co.uk/index.htm ) - who knows a thing or 2 about such things & he told me that it would equally well for guitar or bass as the innards were similar. He reckoned it'd be particularly good with 2 x 15 bass cabs.!!

I mean, I have the best bass heads it is possible to have - but this guy has got one too many from the endorser as a touring spare and it's a one-way supply which they won't be taking back - so it's going spare.

It's a kind of trivial thing as i have a main head and a backup - but think this may look too kewl for skool for a bit of fun before I flog it somewhere. I get it tomorrow, or the day after, so I'll update you.

I tried it recently with a High Watt hi-gain 100w head, I was dissapointed with the outcome, the set up lacked bass (using a Markbass 1x15 and 4x10 set up) the band never liked the sound, as soon as I switched back to the Markbass head the band all said they much preferred that sound, one High Watt head sold :sorry:

For fun, I sometimes use my Elgen 100W Lead amp through an SVT 410HLF and it's wonderful.
Alas, the 410 gets traded in tomorrow and I'm lightening the load with a Barefaced.
At the appropriate moment I shall try the Elgen through the Barefaced.
I wonder what that will sound like?

Edited by Jazzneck

So the answer does depend on the amplifier you are using. Yes the whole impedance thing is very important first and foremost. Yes, you will get a bass sound out of the amp without doing any damage. The extent of how useful the sound is does depend on the amplifer though. As noted above, some guitar amps DO have a big roll off in the lows so when they distort, they don't sound mushy. That's not always good news for the bass player though. Our power is in the lows. Sure, you'll be loud enough but you *might not* get trousers flapping.

It is true that quite a few bass amps share the same circuit topology that guitar amps do with *but* minor tweaks. I have a '68 Marshall Super Bass, which as I understand it has probably £1 worth of component changes (if that) to make the Marshall Super Lead model suitable for bass, hence the name change. Oh and how does it sound?

Luscious! I had a recent service where some components were further uprated and I am very surprised at how much low end can come from such a simple amp design.

In response to the comment about StickelBack - The bass player uses guitar amps in parallel with bass amps to get an aggressive bass sound. So the guitar amps aren't deploying the earthquake part of Mike's signal. I only know this as it was asked reacently on the forum.

Assuming the transformers are substantial enough, the only different between a bass and guitar head need be a couple of capacitors, maybe a resistor, as Dood said. Very small changes to pass or attenuate certain frequency ranges and shape/control tone.

Sometime I should build a 30W valve bass amp - I already have a slightly nasty 1X12 Carlsbro cab to run it through.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1424705063' post='2699371']...He reckoned it'd be particularly good with 2 x 15 bass cabs.!!
[/quote]

He's not wrong...

...although this was the original rig I was using (for PA...), back in England, mid-'70s...

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:181164]

Two columns like that with the one DR205 head; awesome. No, I don't now have them; I stupidly traded the cabs later, in France. I'd love to find 'em again. Heavy..? Nah..! :crazy:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1424721196' post='2699676']
He's not wrong...

...although this was the original rig I was using (for PA...), back in England, mid-'70s...

Two columns like that with the one DR205 head; awesome. No, I don't now have them; I stupidly traded the cabs later, in France. I'd love to find 'em again. Heavy..? Nah..! :crazy:
[/quote]

I think the hisssssssss from this set up would be deafening.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1424721874' post='2699685']
I think the hisssssssss from this set up would be deafening.
[/quote]

You've not listened to a lot of Hiwatts lately, have you..? :rolleyes:

:lol: Ah, the innocence of the youf of today; it's charming..!

Edited by Dad3353

They were all we had at one time.
Remember queuing trying to get one of the first trace elliot amps, guys were doubling their money for them second hand.
You struggled to get enough bass end from the valve amps, likle they lacked bandwidth all the time.
The ones that could deliver bass like Simms watts or Ampeg cost the earth back then.
Orange, Marshall superbass 100 all gutless on bottom end, however the Vox ac50 had wonderful deep low end and if you had one, you kept hold of it.