Why become a member? ×

Bassist Wanted Ad on JMB - shows the mentality of some people

Sean

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1424614853' post='2698275']
JMB is a waste of time. I've been through every singer and or guitarist in my area and found one good 'un. That's it. One of my bands actually folded a few months ago because we couldn't find anyone decent to front the band. The idiots we got at auditions...
[/quote]

I disagree. The band I've just joined advertised for a bass player on JMB and the one they've found is brilliant!

Seriously, there's everyone from beginners to pro's on this forum, and likewise you'll probably get a fair spread of people/bands on JMB. I've only been playing bass for a year, but without JMB its very unlikely I'd have found one band to play with in the last year, let alone the three that I have.

I should add that I've only played bass for a year, but I've played guitar for about 35, so I do have some idea of what's what.

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424600456' post='2698058']
The type of person they are looking for probably would not care about the grammar.
[/quote]

Why would they ? You make it sound as if 'That type of person' is undesirable.

It really wouldn't bother me if the rest of the band couldnt read and write at all as long as they are contributing. I can see your point, I have been in bands where everyone else was, better educated than I am - doesnt say much for them - or felt somehow better, but once they realise patronising me wont work we got on fine.

Where are all the PC members on here, and why aren't they writing angry posts sticking up for the uneducated, possibly dyslectic underprivileged ??? :P

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1424614853' post='2698275']
JMB is a waste of time. I've been through every singer and or guitarist in my area and found one good 'un. That's it. One of my bands actually folded a few months ago because we couldn't find anyone decent to front the band. The idiots we got at auditions...
[/quote]
i find that when i advertise myself, i get approached by bands that only seem to have read the "bassist available" bit
i get asked to join covers bands, blues trios, metal bands, despite making it clear thats not what i am looking for

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1424641973' post='2698728']
Where are all the PC members on here, and why aren't they writing angry posts sticking up for the uneducated, possibly dyslectic underprivileged ??? :P
[/quote]

They're on another web site correcting someone's [i]speling[/i] because that someone is WRONG AND MUST BE PUNISHED.

Fact is, being a human spellchecker on websites is like being a Wild West gunslinger. One might be fast but there's always someone faster looking to take you down. Then the whole sordid cycle of violence starts over and eventually innocent people get hurt.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1424643565' post='2698766']

i find that when i advertise myself, i get approached by bands that only seem to have read the "bassist available" bit
i get asked to join covers bands, blues trios, metal bands, despite making it clear thats not what i am looking for
[/quote]

I was once sent a request to go for an audition with an all girl Punk band.

I was really tempted...

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1424641973' post='2698728']

Why would they ? You make it sound as if 'That type of person' is undesirable.

It really wouldn't bother me if the rest of the band couldnt read and write at all as long as they are contributing. I can see your point, I have been in bands where everyone else was, better educated than I am - doesnt say much for them - or felt somehow better, but once they realise patronising me wont work we got on fine.

[/quote]
Not at all, you've missed my point (that everyone else understood I think?)
They WANT the person who isn't bothered about the grammar, to THEM the stuffy grammar police can stay away while they just get on with making epic tunes man! :)

I hate adverts like this as they remind me of my inadequacies as a marketable person... No amount of bass playing ability is going to make me into the bassist this band wants. How good I am is utterly irrelevent as they are looking for someone with the right image for their band... and I doubt that image is a chubby bald guy in his 30s.

and the thing is... in the context of popular music they are actually right as noone cares about bass anyway and the right look is far more likely to get them noticed... a label can supply them with songs if their faces fit, they cannot supply me with a new face... ho hum...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424683718' post='2699006']
Not at all, you've missed my point (that everyone else understood I think?)
They WANT the person who isn't bothered about the grammar, to THEM the stuffy grammar police can stay away while they just get on with making epic tunes man! :)
[/quote]

Which bit of " I can see your point" is confusing you ? We are both saying much the same thing.
The bit about undesirables was said in jest.

Peter Hook decided to form a band with his mates after they had seen the Sex Pistols and some other bands, and the film 'That'll Be The Day' starring David Essex. Bernard already had a guitar so Peter decided to play bass. He describes buying his first bass in his autobiography, Unknown Pleasures. "Can I have one of those, please" he says to the guy behind the counter. "Well, what sort do you want, son" asks the guy. "A bass one" replied Peter. The guy says "Well, how about this one?". Peter says "Is that a bass guitar?". "Yeah". "That'll do".

Everyone's got to start somewhere, and I'd say that a mutual love of a particular style of music is as good a place as any to start.