Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassist Wanted Ad on JMB - shows the mentality of some people

Sean

here is it as is...

"Hi we're a 4 piece Band playing all our own songs, lots of gig experience etc... Looking for someone who can play bass to complete the lineup... Don't necessarily need to be a bass player first and for most, it's more a case of being into the genre... Similar to brmc, the verve, jake bugg, stone roses, Oasis, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Ben Howard and loads of 60s and 90s influences...
If it seems like you're thing get in touch, we rehearse once a week, for gigs in the future"

That's right, kids, you don't even have to be a bass player, just into the music. What a fantastic opportunity for someone. I might apply, it'll save me lugging all my kit around.

Most likely says more about the kids who posted the ad, i.e. they're not really singers, drummers or guitarists - just into the [i]genre[/i].
You can imagine the racket - it'll sound like Paddy's moped.

And anyone who says that gigs are 'in the future', has no intention of doing any gigs in my experience.
These 'rehearsals' will at best be social occasions where booze and drugs will be consumed while wearing guitars, etc.

I just read this post and it seems very harsh! Oh, well. :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1424524188' post='2697289']
here is it as is...

"Hi we're a 4 piece Band playing all our own songs, lots of gig experience etc... Looking for someone who can play bass to complete the lineup... Don't necessarily need to be a bass player first and for most, it's more a case of being into the genre... Similar to brmc, the verve, jake bugg, stone roses, Oasis, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Ben Howard and loads of 60s and 90s influences...
If it seems like you're thing get in touch, we rehearse once a week, for gigs in the future"

That's right, kids, you don't even have to be a bass player, just into the music. What a fantastic opportunity for someone. I might apply, it'll save me lugging all my kit around.
[/quote]

I couldn't even read it. It's far too poorly written! Also, what's up with all the... When did people start using three full stops to end a sentence?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424524699' post='2697295']

These 'rehearsals' will at best be social occasions where booze and drugs will be consumed while wearing guitars, etc.

[/quote]

That's what being in a band meant to me when I wasn't quite as old as I am now, and I have to say there's still an element of it when we rehearse (no drugs I have to add, unless you include the rush of endorphins on the rare occasion that we all manage to nail the groove at the same time).

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1424525022' post='2697299']
I couldn't even read it. It's far too poorly written! Also, what's up with all the... When did people start using three full stops to end a sentence?
[/quote]

Well, it's poorly spelt and shows definite signs of illitrucy, but the ellipsis has been around a long time. Read some Arthur C Clarke if you want to see liberal use of it...

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1424530073' post='2697369']
If only there were drugs and booze at rehearsal...it might numb the pain of having to listening to sections of my band blithering on about "what a bloody awful day/week/month/year" they're having. <_<
[/quote]

Been there. Last band I was in, in the UK was treated as a night away from all their wives (not me I hasten to add) All they did was go on about work and golf and barely played a note. Did my brain in. I couldn't wait to move away. They still apparently "rehearse" every week still after 18 years of being together. :blink:

Playing bass isn't really that hard or important.

The drummer keeps time.
The guitarist plays the melody and important solos.
The singer is the most important with the words and is who everyone really goes to see.

I'm not even sure what the bass player does. Usually owns the van or operates the PA or something...

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1424532654' post='2697394']

Don't or can afford a van and the singer can sort out the PA in our band...it's only her going through it.
[/quote]

What do you do then? Don't you get bored standing at the back playing all those root notes? :D

I can sort of see of see what they are getting at, the bands listed have simple bass lines a regular guitarist or newbie bass player could handle, you dont need to be Marcus Miller to apply is what they are saying, of course that might touch a nerve with some 'less able' bassists? There I've said it, I feel like Inti :D

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1424525022' post='2697299']

[/quote]

You don't have to be able to write properly, just be into the content... ;-)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1424534298' post='2697411']
What do you do then? Don't you get bored standing at the back playing all those root notes? :D
[/quote]

I'm usually doing my impression of John Entwistle and stand with a look of disdain on my face most of the gig, and have a quick drink or something to eat :D

I can see what the person who wrote the ad is getting at. Aside from the grammar issues and the possible over use of the ellipses, this seems like a sensible way to find someone who really loves the music rather than a jobbing musician who may lack drive and enthusiasm. When I joined my first band, I could barely tune my bass, but I was a huge fan of the genre and got on really well with the guys in the band. That meant that I worked really hard to improve and my learning curve was massive and by the time that band folded, I was a semi-decent player. A few bands have formed in this rather ad hoc way - UB40 being a prime example. Who would you rather have in your band - the bored, uncommitted but competent guy or the devoted, driven beginner?

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1424536946' post='2697460']
I can see what the person who wrote the ad is getting at. Aside from the grammar issues and the possible over use of the ellipses, this seems like a sensible way to find someone who really loves the music rather than a jobbing musician who may lack drive and enthusiasm. When I joined my first band, I could barely tune my bass, but I was a huge fan of the genre and got on really well with the guys in the band. That meant that I worked really hard to improve and my learning curve was massive and by the time that band folded, I was a semi-decent player. A few bands have formed in this rather ad hoc way - UB40 being a prime example. Who would you rather have in your band - the bored, uncommitted but competent guy or the devoted, driven beginner?
[/quote]

A jobbing musician who lacks drive and enthusiasm? Never heard of one of them! All the jobbing musicians I've ever played with have had a lot of drive. I suppose you have to have it if the gig is what is putting food on your table.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1424536946' post='2697460']
[/quote]

Spot on

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1424537200' post='2697464']
A jobbing musician who lacks drive and enthusiasm? Never heard of one of them! All the jobbing musicians I've ever played with have had a lot of drive. I suppose you have to have it if the gig is what is putting food on your table.
[/quote]

Your experience is different to mine, I've played with a few who are exactly the opposite.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1424537714' post='2697468']
Bloody hell, guys, do none of you remember punk?

[/quote]

Exactly.

And seriously, spelling errors, you guys got nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon than spellcheck a band add for a bunch of kids?

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1424530303' post='2697372']
Well, it's poorly spelt and shows definite signs of illitrucy, but the ellipsis has been around a long time. Read some Arthur C Clarke if you want to see liberal use of it...
[/quote]

I assume that's ironic :)