Why become a member? ×

New amp dilemma...

Conan

So I finally managed to sell my Hartke LH500! Plenty of clear volume and headroom, but lacking in the midrange.

I would like to replace it with something that has plenty of mids available - especially as my "normal" set-up involves using a Fender Jazz bass with both pickups full on. I know... :D

The two amps that I have my eyes on are the GK MB500 (not the fusion version, which is more expensive) and the Aguilar TH350. Both are available new at under £400.

My cab is a Barefaced Big One. It has no problem reproducing the mids, as long at they are there in the first place! Nominally it is rated at 8 ohms, but as it is so sensitive it doesn't need a lot of power to make it sing...

I'm aware that the Aggie puts out less power, but my band is not particularly loud so I don't think that this will be an issue. I have heard that it can lack a bit of "glassy" top-end sparkle, but I don't need much of that anyway.

I use a BDI21 for drive when I need it, so I have no need for the amp to do this.

So what would you go for, and why?

Edited by Conan

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423481682' post='2685184']
The Fusion is more than worth the extra cash. It's immense and you will have total control of your mids and then some.
[/quote]

I absolutely concur. I found the non-Fusion a bit too agressive in the upper mids for my liking but the MB Fusion was perfect, whether it was a general voicing or the valves doing the taming I don't know, but it was lovely :)

Edited by Merton

Maybe you also need this: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8MbcoSsc14

There's a thread on here somewhere about the BD121 sucking out the mids and this fairly simple mod.
I've searched on 5 or 6 sub-forums but I can't find the original post or remember the OP. I think the youtube poster is a member on here.

Balcro.

Well I`ve had the MB500, the MB Fusion 500 and have a Tonehammer 500. For adjustable mids and overall flexibility I`d look at the MB Fusion 500. Can do warm, funky, clean, very versatile.

But for a sound that makes me really smile, the Tonehammer is hard to beat. Not as flexible on mids, as you can only cut/boost one area at a time, but the sweep control on the mids does help a lot to identify the area required. And having a Tonehammer/Barefaced set-up, well in my opinion they really work together as being very colourless on sound, the BF lets the bass and amps tone really come through.

I`m sure the TH 350 would have more than enough volume. Ok, mine is the 500 version and my Super 12T is 4ohms, but in my loud punk band I can`t have master volume on more than 9 o`clock.

Lastly, I heard another bassist using my rig on Friday with his Jazz and it sounded so good I`m now looking at Jazzes myself, so the Jazz/TH/BF gets a thumbs-up from me.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1423483395' post='2685222']
At 8 ohms I'd get the TH500.
[/quote]

+1

TH500. No point in buying a lower powered amp for this cab when it might not be loud enough for the next cab.

There's a Puma 900 in the classifieds.

Edited by chris_b

i'm saving for the TH500, tried one at the Bass bash with my Midgets and it was FAB! they usually have both the 350 and the 500 in stock over at the Bass Base in Pelaw if you want a proper go, if you arrange in advance you might get to try it in the rehearsal space at a decent volume.

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1423484497' post='2685257']they usually have both the 350 and the 500 in stock over at the Bass Base in Pelaw if you want a proper go,
[/quote]

Believe it or not, I've never even heard of that place! :blush: Might have to have a look... B)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423481682' post='2685184']
The Fusion is more than worth the extra cash. [/quote]
[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1423483395' post='2685222']
At 8 ohms I'd get the TH500.
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1423483964' post='2685243']
TH500. No point in buying a lower powered amp for this cab
[/quote]
[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1423484497' post='2685257']
i'm saving for the TH500,
[/quote]

I thought this might happen! :)

At the moment my budget is pretty strictly limited to £400 as we have other big bills... The TH500 is about £200 more than the TH350, and I just can't stretch that far just now. I am also rather dubious about how much louder it would be in "real world" terms.

The cheapest I've found the MB Fusion 500 is £525, which is (again) significantly over budget.

Now if I could source either of these heads second-hand... :gas: Even then, I'd have to wait until next month before pulling the trigger.

Still, thanks for the suggestions! :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1423483238' post='2685221']
Maybe you also need this: - There's a thread on here somewhere about the BD121 sucking out the mids and this fairly simple mod.
[/quote]

Yeah, I've looked at that before. Looks like a very useful mod but way beyond my electronics skills! :unsure:

TBF, the mid-drain from the pedal is a small issue as I don't use it all the time - but thanks for the reminder! B)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1423485172' post='2685274']
Believe it or not, I've never even heard of that place! :blush: Might have to have a look... B)
[/quote]

it was called Ginger Music, it has been the venue for the last 3 North East Bass Bashes, recently it's dedicated to Bass Guitars and usually has some nice kit in, including some G+L's and a selection of Fenders.

I believe the owner is called Dee, he's very good at pricing stuff as well, pretty competetive.

[url="http://www.gingermusiccompany.co.uk/"]http://www.gingermusiccompany.co.uk/[/url]

Matt

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1423483897' post='2685235']
Well I`ve had the MB500, the MB Fusion 500 and have a Tonehammer 500... Lastly, I heard another bassist using my rig on Friday with his Jazz and it sounded so good I`m now looking at Jazzes myself, so the Jazz/TH/BF gets a thumbs-up from me.
[/quote]

Thanks Lozz - that's a really good and useful post mate! :)

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1423485889' post='2685290']it has been the venue for the last 3 North East Bass Bashes

[url="http://www.gingermusiccompany.co.uk/"]http://www.gingermusiccompany.co.uk/[/url]

[/quote]

Cheers for that. I've just been looking at their website and a trip across the water in half-term week might be on the cards! B)

I've never been to one of the NE bashes though.. :blush: Hence my ignorance of their existence... :(

When I got my Carvin BX500 (well in budget) I A/B'd it with the Tonehammer and much preferred the Carvin, even without taking the price differential into account. I did see Molan post that they are not going to carry on stocking them at BassGear but worth checking one out if you can.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1423488379' post='2685354']
When I got my Carvin BX500 (well in budget) I A/B'd it with the Tonehammer and much preferred the Carvin, even without taking the price differential into account. I did see Molan post that they are not going to carry on stocking them at BassGear but worth checking one out if you can.
[/quote]

Just looked at the BG website and they appear to be out of stock... :(

Edited by Conan

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1423492319' post='2685435']
How about a GB shuttle ?
[/quote]

I used to have a GB cab - which I wasn't impressed with... but I am unfamiliar with their range of amps. Tell me more about it... ;)

Edited by Conan

Guest monsterthompson

I have a GB Shuttle 9.0, and a Tonehammer pedal, and Barefaced G3 SC and SM cabs. I like the GB into the cabs, and the para mid helps. I like the TH into the FX of the GB to just use it for the power section. I've also read the GB 9.0 and the TH500 use the same power section, despite one being marketed as 900w and the other as 500w. I'll agree that the TH tone doesn't strike me as glassy like the GB can do, but that glassy feel goes away in a live mix much of the time anyway. The para-mids on each will get the job done. I'm not going to rave about how good the sound is for the needs of the OP, but I do believe that the GB and TH options wouldn't be bad options.

I have no experience with GK micros, but have gone through various Markbass amps. More recently I have been working with a ToneHammer 500 and Tecamp Puma 900.
Last November I took Delivery of a Kustom KXB500. Purchased it online from muziker.de and it cost £285. My intention was to use it as a back up, but since the day I plugged this unit in the Puma has not seen the light of day and I have moved the TH500 on. The Kustom KXB500 is the best micro I have used. Highly recommended and cheap as chips.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1423511404' post='2685790']
The Kustom KXB500 is the best micro I have used. Highly recommended and cheap as chips.
[/quote]

That's interesting... I'll go and have a look at it.
Edit: Is there anywhere in the UK it can be got from?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423511634' post='2685796']
That's interesting... I'll go and have a look at it.
Edit: Is there anywhere in the UK it can be got from?
[/quote]
Not that I am aware of. This Kustom amp got a lot of positive comment on TB so I went searching and muziker.de was the only place I could find one, but I am more than pleased :). I use this amp together with a Berg CN212 playing in a rock covers band and it really rocks my boat.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1423513054' post='2685822']
Not that I am aware of. This Kustom amp got a lot of positive comment on TB so I went searching and muziker.de was the only place I could find one, but I am more than pleased :). I use this amp together with a Berg CN212 playing in a rock covers band and it really rocks my boat.
[/quote]

Hmm... thanks for that. :)