Why become a member? ×

New amp dilemma...

Conan

Another amp has come to my attention - the SWR SM500: [url="http://www.swramps.com/en-GB/support/vintage.php/"]http://www.swramps.c...rt/vintage.php/[/url] There is a used one for sale on this very forum, and bang on budget! :)

It would certainly seem to offer the mid-range control that I am after... but I have no experience of SWR gear.

Opinions anyone?

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1423653126' post='2687398']
Another amp has come to my attention: [url="http://www.swramps.com/en-GB/support/vintage.php/"]http://www.swramps.c...rt/vintage.php/[/url] There is a used one for sale on this very forum, and bang on budget! :)

It would certainly seem to offer the mid-range control that I am after... but I have no experience of SWR gear.

Opinions anyone?
[/quote]

i'm assuming that it's the SM-500 that you're looking at (the link goes to a page with a dozen or more amps but the SM-500 is the first one i find in the classifieds)

i can't comment on the sm-500 but i had a SWR Headlite and it just lacked something for me, not enough punch, i bought the Markbass F1 and my bandmates really noticed the difference, we got to the end of the first song at the first parctice with it and they both commented on how much easier it was to hear me and how much better the mix was.

i'm guessing that you're not too worried about how much the amp weighs then?

Matt

i've just been looking at the mids mod on the bdi21 and it seems to be within my technical ability, i might pick one up and mod it myself, if it goes well i'd be happy to mod one for you as well.
they're cheap as chips and the extra components aren't expensive either.

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1423657902' post='2687482']
i'm assuming that it's the SM-500 that you're looking at ... i'm guessing that you're not too worried about how much the amp weighs then?[/quote]

It was indeed the SM500. Apologies for not making that clear in the link... :blush:

[b]SM-500[/b]
[b][/b]
The direct descendant of the legendary SM-400, the SM-500 was a mainstay of stages and studios for over a decade. The SM-500 featured the original SWR tube preamp and a four-band graphic/semi-parametric EQ, plus a side-chain effects loop, stereo master volume control and Transparency control for crystalline highs.
[b]Production Period:[/b] 1999 to 2010
[b]Final Retail Price:[/b] $1949.99

Heavy then are they? :huh: Weight isn't a huge deal-breaker - but a nice light amp that fits in my leads box would be nice! :)

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1423658172' post='2687487']
i've just been looking at the mids mod on the bdi21 and it seems to be within my technical ability, i might pick one up and mod it myself, if it goes well i'd be happy to mod one for you as well.
[/quote]

That would be fantastic! You are indeed a fine fellow Matt! B)

Edited by Conan

Just my twopence-worth, I've had a BIg baby T and now a Big baby 2. I know everyone has different tonal ideas, but i found the Tonehammer pedal into the power amp of my Shuttle 9 a bit lacking in clarity and not enough range of mid adjustments with the big babies. I also found my Streamliner 900 horrible in the mids with the big baby T, yet it was good with my Midget t. If the original Big One is similar sounding i would look at something a bit brighter than the Aguilar. Genz Benz shuttle 9.0 worked well as does my Shuttlemax 9.2, but i really like the MB800 with BB's, perhaps the fusion is the way to go. The SWR is also known for being brighter...haven't tried one, but it may be good. You need a bit of power to drive that cab, so again the fusion has more power than the Tonehammer 350. Good luck with your choice!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1423701784' post='2688202']
GB Streamliner!!!
[/quote]

OK. Er... why? :)

Actually it's funny. The last time there was a thread like this, the opinions were very much in favour of the GK. Now not so much... I wonder why? Did a few people get GK amps and feel underwhelmed by them?

I might just keep an eye on the for sale section and see what comes up in my price range! :gas:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1423726731' post='2688249']
OK. Er... why? :)

Actually it's funny. The last time there was a thread like this, the opinions were very much in favour of the GK. Now not so much... I wonder why? Did a few people get GK amps and feel underwhelmed by them?

I might just keep an eye on the for sale section and see what comes up in my price range! :gas:
[/quote]

The Streamliner because it seems to sound great regardless what cab I use with it. I also have the Shuttle 9.2, and I like it, but the Streamliner seems easier (for me) to get a good sound out of. It's got girth easily, and if you like mids -like I do- it's not shy there. Jazz/Stingray heaven (even if I'm using a Precision at the moment!).

Not saying the GK amps are worse, just that from the ones I have experience of, the Streamliner seems to do everything I ask it to do the best, and it's within budget (used, obviously). If you considered the ToneHammer series, I think the Streamliner is a nicer alternative. I nearly bought a TH500 myself. It sounded good, but I was a bit frustrated at the interactivity of teh controls... while the Streamliner just seemed to work and get a great sound no matter what I did, and tonally-wise, it's not a million light years away from the ToneHammers... but it will do clean bright and glassy better than them (if you wanted to)... I find it a bit more versatile. The drive is nicer on the ToneHammer... but it's easy to get the Streamliner to where it just gets a little fat-sounding, and sound great... and any more drive I use an external pedal.

I'm a fan of the Streamliner :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1423653126' post='2687398']
Another amp has come to my attention - the SWR SM500: [url="http://www.swramps.com/en-GB/support/vintage.php/"]http://www.swramps.c...rt/vintage.php/[/url] There is a used one for sale on this very forum, and bang on budget! :)

Opinions anyone?
[/quote]

I have an SWR SM400 which is over 20 years old.
It was pretty much the benchmark of a new wave of amps and finished
off TE as the default pro rig, IMO.
The qualities back them were the aural enhance which is the internal map that
everyone else pretty much includes now, but it also had true bi-amp ( stereo ) output and a cross-over.
The 4 band semi para is a VERY powerful tone shaper.
The early 400's had stupid sub which just bled the amp of power and they learned that that was
pretty much unusable so remedied it for later models.
The early U.S models had no fan and ran very hot. They could do this because they had very hi spec
components.
The later models had a earth lift and a fan.

If the model is pre Fender/SWR sell-off, then it will be a top quality unit, IMO.
Mines has not missed a beat bar the one time when it was knocked to the ground under power
from 4 feet but a decent tech fixed that easily as the jack got rammed onto the pre amp board..??

Bombproof and stellar is my opinion..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1423747608' post='2688543']
I have an SWR SM400 which is over 20 years old.
If the model is pre Fender/SWR sell-off, then it will be a top quality unit, IMO.
Bombproof and stellar is my opinion..
[/quote]

Cool! Thanks for that! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well in the end I was offered a deal on an amp that was just too good to miss...

So I am now the proud owner of a (slightly) used TC RH750! :)

The amp is at home but unfortunately my cab is down at the rehearsal room - so wednesday's band practice will be the first opportunity I get to try the beast out. Should be fun! B)

Thanks to everyone who contributed and gave advice. Much appreciated :)

Edited by Conan

Well, I used the RH750 last night at rehearsal, and I have to say that I'm not too sure about it! :huh:

I am a bear of very little brain when it comes to complex set-ups (which is the main reason I got rid of my Marcus Miller J bass - as I was constantly fiddling with the East preamp on it!).

The TC certainly has some amazing sounds available, and the features are a big plus - to someone who needs them. I'm not sure I do. I prefer a decent core tone and I don't tend to alter my setting very much from song-to-song or room-to-room. I tend not to use (or really need) compression and the tubetone feature is pretty superfluous as I favour a clean but warm sound. For this current band, anyway.

After three hours of fiddling last night I still hadn't settled on a sound from the RH750 that made me smile. :( I realise it might require more time than that, but I just so wanted it to sound great out of the box!

So, my search may continue... :gas:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424966723' post='2702427']
I'm not a huge fan of tc to be honest. I found the GK Fusion to be warm, huge and difficult to get a bad sound from. Spring for a bit more cash and get one! If you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands! :)
[/quote]

Heh heh! There is a method in your madness after all! :D

I have another cunning plan up my sleeve... ;)

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1425030502' post='2703059']
see if the bass base will do you a trade in for the aguilar? he seemed to be open to trades when i spoke to him.[/quote]

I like your thinking! :) Trade in progress (but not with The Bass Base...).

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1425045677' post='2703361']
You might want to consider an MB LMIII (just over £400 new).[/quote]

For some reason Markbass have never appealed to me or appeared on my radar. Dunno why - my loss I suppose.

Anyway - looks like I am probably sorted now! ;)

ANAD (Another New Amp Day) tomorrow...

Edited by Conan

From my own experience;

Genz Streamliner is a very warm, 'tubey' sound. Very nice EQ with valve driven mids. Preamp can be driven nicely. Can sound boomy if not EQ'd proprerly.
Tecamp Puma is a cracking amp. Solid state but sounds as warm as you want but can do a nice driven sound. Sits very nicely in the mix.

I wonder why the Reidmar didn't get a mention in this thread? I'm currently still A/B-ing mine against a TC Staccato '51 I recently picked up but have used it very happily for a good few months at rehearsals and gigs and found it didn't want for anything tone-wise for me. Maybe a certain weight in the bass but nothing that couldn't be EQ'ed in pretty easily. I see more Reidmar's come up for sale now too, don't know why.

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1425471664' post='2707628']
i know this is a hundred million to one chance, but if you don't like it then give me a call and i'll buy it off you! (Shy bairns get nowt!) :lol:
[/quote] :D

Absolutely Matt! I know I am giving the impression of being a bit flighty and indecisive over this amp business, but I'm really not! I just feel a bit like a kid in a sweet shop at the moment... But yes - you can have first dibs!