Why become a member? ×

Advice required re: Trust on Basschat

cloudburst

All,

I've been part of a number of high-value transactions on BC which have worked well due to trust on both sides.

In two of these cases I've been sent expensive basses PRIOR (yes prior!) to my sending funds....because the seller wanted me to be happy with the instrument. The sellers were lapolpora and camdenrob in these cases.

Thing is - these transactions were performed remotely.

NOW....

I'm trying to buy a keyboard (valued at £1650) from a well established BC'er (who shall definitely from my point of view remain nameless). And it would be a local face to face sale.

I'm offering to travel to view this keyboard and have agreed to perform a Faster Payment using internet banking to the seller's bank account whilst he watches. I would only leave with the keyboard once the seller can see the money has arrived in his bank account. I've also offered up my flawless BC feedback.

However, this is not good enough for the seller, who insists on cash. Taking £1650 out of a bank at the weekend is inconvenient and I feel also that it's less reliable for the seller as any notes I give him could easily be fake. I also feel that the seller is disrespecting my good name which is comprehensively evidenced in BC feedback.

My strong gut inclination is to pay an extra £400 and buy the said keyboard from the local (and more convenient) retailer who isn't questioning my integrity. What would you do?

CB

Edited by cloudburst

You have to respect the seller's wishes, and not interpret them as any kind of slight or disrespect to you. It's simply their choice, their opinion, to which they're perfectly entitled, whoever you are and whatever your reputation.

It may cost them a sale, but that is entirely their prerogative.

The seller isn't doing anything wrong, or bad, or sneaky; they've simply stated their terms. What you do now is up to you and how comfortable you are with those terms, how badly you want the thing, how much of an inconvenience it is, etc. etc., blah blah.

I would just lift the money to be honest. I would be making sure I was with someone (preferably a big, intimidating chap) just to make sure I was all Okay.

Some people just don't seem to like online banking which I suppose is understandable to a degree. Personally don't see the issue with it but got to respect the sellers wishes unfortunately.

I've found some people don't trust bank transfers, since it involves giving out the name, sort code and account number. While this is no worse than paying by cheque, since each one has the same details, I can understand people being g a bit paranoid however misplaced. In this instance, I'd chalk the sellers reluctance up to paranoia rather than malice and consider buying new from a shop or online retailer if you can afford the extra expense.

Some people don't like transfers, and some are less trusting than others. You may have sent high value basses off before payment (and I sent my dingwall to someone a few weeks ago so they could use the box to send another bass back), but from an objective point of view, it isn't really that sensible, and not everyone is going to go for it. I wouldn't take it as a slight, but if you don't want to do it, get it somewhere else. Although £400 seems a lot to pay for a bit of convenience to me.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's quite possible that he, or someone he knows, may have been badly burned in the past by trusting in someone as you are expecting him to do now. Just go with the flow -- BUT, make damn sure you meet in a VERY public place if a lot of cash will be changing hands. Let's not be stupid about it.

<><Peace

No commentary on any of the parties involved but simply an observation on the facts :

The extra £400 buys you a warranty and a degree of protection, should the keyboard suffer any issues, which in my experience hi tech gear is wont to do. If you buy on your credit card, you also have the consumer protection inherent within that, which is well documented.

It's one thing to buy a £1650 used P bass, which, bottom line, is a mass produced instrument made of wood and metal parts , with very little that can't be fixed relatively easily, albeit at a cost, and another thing entirely, to spend that on a plastic box full of components that could give up the ghost at any time : fried PCB anyone?

In the current climate might it not be possible also to close that price difference by pushing the retailer for a discount?

Regarding the insistence on cash - I wouldnt take it personally, as there could be any number of reasons for wanting to go that route : not wanting the bank to have a record of the money for a range of reasons for example (alimony, tax), also - maybe not wanting the wife to know about it, not trusting the bank transfer system whomever is the buyer, needing cash for a purchase of something else, where the seller insists on cash etc. etc. you could probably come up with another half dozen over a pint.

All of course, IMHO.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1423268374' post='2683101']
All,

I've been part of a number of high-value transactions on BC which have worked well due to trust on both sides.

In two of these cases I've been sent expensive basses PRIOR (yes prior!) to my sending funds....because the seller wanted me to be happy with the instrument. The sellers were lapolpora and camdenrob in these cases.

Thing is - these transactions were performed remotely.

NOW....

I'm trying to buy a keyboard (valued at £1650) from a well established BC'er (who shall definitely from my point of view remain nameless). And it would be a local face to face sale.

I'm offering to travel to view this keyboard and have agreed to perform a Faster Payment using internet banking to the seller's bank account whilst he watches. I would only leave with the keyboard once the seller can see the money has arrived in his bank account. I've also offered up my flawless BC feedback.

However, this is not good enough for the seller, who insists on cash. Taking £1650 out of a bank at the weekend is inconvenient and I feel also that it's less reliable for the seller as any notes I give him could easily be fake. I also feel that the seller is disrespecting my good name which is comprehensively evidenced in BC feedback.

My strong gut inclination is to pay an extra £400 and buy the said keyboard from the local (and more convenient) retailer who isn't questioning my integrity. What would you do?

CB
[/quote]
No real point trying to claim the moral high ground if you give enough information to identify the seller and item in question quite easily without naming names - there are plenty of valid reasons to ask for a cash sale, and not everyone is willing to be trusting on high value transactions regardless of who they are dealing with (which is quite understandable IMHO).

Only an extra £400 for a full warranty for an item of that value ? I think the used keyboard is overpriced then. In your position, I'd buy the new one every time.

However, doesn't seem like the seller is doing anything inherently wrong. Every seller has the right to set their own conditions of purchase and it's just up to the buyer to decide if they want to agree to them.

Seller has made his stance clear, as to his reasons we can't judge, so if he doesn't accept your alternative suggestions then it's almost like a haggle (which is not about the price tag) you'll either not do a deal or one of you will eventually except the others offer (method)

I'd guess if you can buy a new one for a 1/3 more than his item is on the high price for something like electrical goods which is a risk out of warranty

If your not desperate state your offer and method , and wait for him to possible except

If your desperate for this deal, do it his way

--

As others have said don't take it personally , his mistrust of transfers is a different issue.p

I had a tradesman who for well over a year wouldn't trust transfers, he'd rather have a cheque and spend his time going to the bank to pay it in , he trusted me , but not Internet banking, and nothing but time could change his view

Edited by lojo

I did have a long chat with the seller on the phone.

The subsequent insistence on cash really blind-sided me as I've never had anyone ask this before, and I've done quite a few much larger bank transfers to folk for cars etc.

Anyways. As usual you guys on BC talk a lot of sense. Decision made. I'm going to buy from a retailer.

This is absolutely no reflection on the seller. He seems a very nice straight honest guy and has very good BC feedback. He said he had someone pay for something by bank transfer on a Saturday and then the money was removed from his account on the Monday because the other chap was involved in fraud. So I respect his wishes.

Thanks for your input folks.

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1423300744' post='2683200']
He said he had someone pay for something by bank transfer on a Saturday and then the money was removed from his account on the Monday because the other chap was involved in fraud. So I respect his wishes.

[/quote] that would be another good reason.
I think generally different people have different ways of thinking... for me I have a policy that I'm not going to take a cent off you until I've got the thing in a box and can post it to you within a couple of days - I'ld imagine that some folk would find that annoying as they would want to get the deal "done".
Other people I know and I've sent things too without me having the money. Some people don't want to do bank transfer, some people don't want to do paypal.

Given how many pros/semi pros are on here I've never been asked for a invoice for what I've sold. Which suggests either people aren't claiming stuff back as expenses to lower their tax bill, or a load of money isn't going through the books....

The one thing I would say is that in many ways cash is the easiest thing, cash is our currency and it's way more reliable than some electronic transfer. It's not so hard to go to a bank...
In the OP's example you could have gone round, transferred the money, the bank flag it up for investigation and then you have to stay round there for a few days till the bank clear it? There's a limit to biscuits and tea that can be provided!

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1423275078' post='2683126']

There is one of the half dozen straight away.
[/quote]

It's quite surprising what goes on that people are generally unaware of.

A friend of mine recieves tax credits as, I suspect, do a large number of us. Someone 'tipped off' HMGC that she had someone living with her. She didn't. But HMGC now want to see all her bank satements for the last 6months.

So that's another reason.

No doubt it's not a regular payment and the OP could provide a signature to indicate he had paid the money in return of a bass.

Who knows.

It's certainly not an indication of trustworthiness.

possibly making assumptions as to why the seller doesnt want to accept a bank transfer

for example .... could be something like an overdraft which would wipe out the transfer and the seller needs the cash more urgently for other expenses rather than clearing the overdraft straight away - could be many different reasons - and obviously these sort of reasons any seller is possibly not going to want to divulge - could be a whole load of reasons why he wants the cash instead of a transfer but unless there is any suspicion at all on the provenance of the goods then imho the request for a cash sale shouldnt in itself be viewed as supicious

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1423293500' post='2683151']
Two things: 1. As previously stated that keyboard sounds overpriced and 2. There's a reason he doesn't want the cash showing up in his bank account.
And re the comment about him being overdrawn - don't we pay our debts any more?
[/quote]

The sellers financial circumstances are his, and not for us to pass judgement on.