Why become a member? ×

Henman-Bevilacqua

99ster

Yeh, just got my copy of [i]Bass Player[/i]. Bloody lovely looking bass.

BUT.

WTF is going on with the A-string? The D and G are nicely straight once they get past the nut, and the E is only slightly stressed, but that A just looks wrong.

Edit: Just followed your link. The angle is not so obvious in the photos on their website. The photo in the magazine makes it much clearer.

Edited by Happy Jack

I watched the video that Ed Friedland did, sounded very impressive. I still can't get past the strange colour names. Why have Black and Grey when you can have "Thumper", "Domino" and "XXX"?

Edited by thedonutman

Not sure myself - nice idea on paper and I like something different but I think they look like, as simwells said, toys... The bridge cover reminds me of those Russian knock off basses, too. Still, 1000x more interesting than a Fender clone, so fair play I say!

ped

Looks quite slick. Usually modern-looking basses try too hard and look really contrived, but someone with a proper eye for design penned that.

Nice to see something different but not ugly (I'm looking at you, Bongo) for a change. Hopefully the whole '90s obsession with campy figured woods being used to make basses look like dining tables is coming to an end.

Just saw the price. Hmm. Maybe I'd rather have generic hardware on a Jazz-a-like. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

Not my cup of tea...the headstock looks like a sperm :)

I'm another one that tends not to like basses with 'exotic wood' bodies....most of them end up looking more like 'exotic bog seats'....mind you, the most bog seat looking bass must be the Musicman Bongo...bogseatastic!!!!!!!

I'm another who read about this in Bass Player (grab a subscription it works out a lot cheaper than WH Smith!!).

I can see what their going for, but I can't see who would buy one. The price puts it against some really tough competition.

Edited by 7string

Not my cup of tea at all. It's the polar opposite to what I look for in a bass. I'd sooner have a bongo.

They need a better web site. Who uses table layout these days? and a big picture of text on each page instead of actual body text? I hope their basses are better made. The Google spider probably takes one look at the site and says - "nothing to see here, move along"

[quote name='7string' post='261277' date='Aug 12 2008, 11:49 PM']I'm another who read about this in Bass Player (grab a subscription it works out a lot cheaper than WH Smith!!).

I can see what their going for, but I can't see who would buy one. The price puts it against some really tough competition.[/quote]It sounded unremarkable and the finish, for £3500 is an insult.
Sperzals on a bass, total waste of time, EMG HZ's, good pups but no eq, box section in the neck, could be a great idea.
I bet it plays nice!

To paraphrase a bit from that YouTube clip...

'The jack is side-mounted which gives it a very clean profile, however this might present a problem if you use right-angled jacks.'

Having spent 3000 quid on a bass, I suspect the buyer could also stretch to a new lead, don't you think?