Why become a member? ×

Four string BEAD blues

AntLockyer

Been toying with the idea of a 5 string for a while. Giving a bit more flexibility and variation around some of the blues stuff I play. When I really thought about it I figured I could get away wit ha 4 string tuned BEAD. I often play in A and while I lose the ability to play patterns that revolve around the 5th fret of the E string and use the octave and 7th above, it does let me step down to the 4th and 5th and I think might give a more modern take on it.

that way I think I can get away with 2 p basses. My 62 with flats and normal tuning and my late model with rounds and BEAD.

what do you think?

Low D would be handy and being able to play scales in E by working across the neck rather than up and down the neck should help.

I often find that the open E sounds a little different to other fretted notes so being able to fret the E on the B strings is another bonus.

Worth a try at least!

I think it's definitely worth a try
Sounds a great idea

I have a 5 string, and I don't really play it that much
I keep dabbling with it - but for me, I sometimes lose which string I'm playing,
with my right hand. I know persistence is the key here, but sadly I don't have too much spare time

I do like the sound of the lower notes though, and as Truckstop says
The low E fretted does sound a little different

I've fitted a hipshot D-tuner to one of my basses,
and love the ability to use standard tuning, and get that low D when I want it
(I like it so much, I'm after a hipshot for my Ibanez acoustic BTW - if anyone has one for sale?)

I'd say give it a try - it'll cost you a set of 5 strings, or maybe some old strings and a new B
Worth an experiment anyway
Let us know how you get on with it :)

I considered this when I first started playing 5-string in the late 80s. However on those occasions when I do need the G string I find myself also playing high up on the neck so in the end it was a bit of a non-starter for me, and I concentrated on finding a really good 5-string instead.

Cool, I tried drop D and it didn't work for me in this particular situation (made my brain hurt a bit too). 99% of the time if I'm playing a blues in E nowadays I go up an octave from open E, a combination of laziness and making it sound a bit different if I've just been playing in G, C or B.

the other advantage to this is I have 2 good 4 string P basses that I know I love. Saves having to shop around and potentially have to spend a load of money.

Edited by AntLockyer

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1423146036' post='2681378']
I got Jon shuker to make me a 36" tuned DGCF & i use a capo on the 2nd fret , I use Roto sound RB50 strings , & It works really well for me .
[/quote]

I like that tuning.

I'm taking a set of rotosounds off my Jazz V that were fitted in december as I'm not really a roto fan, I can post them to you at the weekend if you want them to play around with?, they are a full set of the 66s, Drop me a mail address via pm and they are yours, gratis inc posting, can't say fairer than that, lol. :)

Interesting ideas. I've gone down this route with my spare bass (a Squier PJ with a DIY defret). I got a five-string set and ditched the G string, so it's now tuned BEAD and with a stupidly low action (rounds on a defret anyone?). Had to shim the neck but it plays beautifully.

I've tried many different tunings over the last six or seven years - I always keep a bass, usually the Ibanez, in standard for, well, any time I need a standard set up :) but I can grab the Squier for the low stuff. I've also had this bass in DGCF and ADGC (one whole step down from BEAD). I also tried Drop D but kept messing up my left-hand patterns so dropped it after a while. I've since found that keeping all the strings tuned in perfect fourths whatever the bottom open string is tuned to has helped more.

I did have a 5er once but moved it on as I didn't gel with it - should have taken longer to get to grips with it but I much prefer 4ers and have settled on Jazz-type basses as my go-to's now

Anyway, good luck with the experiment and stick with it as I'm sure it will reward you at some point. Be patient :)

ATB,
Ian

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1423168101' post='2681787']
I'm taking a set of rotosounds off my Jazz V that were fitted in december as I'm not really a roto fan, I can post them to you at the weekend if you want them to play around with?, they are a full set of the 66s, Drop me a mail address via pm and they are yours, gratis inc posting, can't say fairer than that, lol. :)
[/quote]

You are a gentleman Sir.

Before I actually bought a 5er I had both my fretted & fretless 4's tuned BEAD using the lower 4 strings of a 5 string set and it worked very well, as, like you, we did a lot of blues in G & D. All I had to do was to widen the nut slots slightly & I had no probs with them when I went back to normal strings and tuning.

G.

I think it depends on the bass. I had a Bass Collection strung BEAD for a while and it didn't work so well, the B was a bit floppy which I put down to lack of stiffness in the construction, something that the 5 string version of the same bass doesn't suffer from.

You might find that you need to widen the shots in the nut to take the larger gauges, particularly with a 130.

Strings arrived this morning. Little bit of nut work needed but nothing major. Not ouched the truss rod yet and it is playing nice enough. That low D is pretty brutal when playing a blues in A, having a few options around E is really nice too, much nicer tone in the middle of the neck compared to open strings and of course can add a few low notes in.

Will take 2 basses on Wednesday though and see how I get on.

Thanks again Pete!

Well I did as I said and took 2 basses for my house band gig last night.

First thing was I got put through FOH for a change and he made me turn my rig down to the point I couldn't really hear to start with, I eventually turned up and dialled in a middy sound for myself as he took a pre EQ out from my amp.

I really liked having the options and felt my playing was more varied than it would have been otherwise. Being able to swap between EADG and BEAD helped. I played about 12 songs with the BEAD including Born under a bad sign starting on the F# (and thus ending on Db).

A few people commented saying it sounded good (but that might have been the subs in the FOH). The band leader however said he thought it sounded like a pop song you'd hear on radio 2. I take that to be a good thing as I'm trying to modernise a bit (for some situations).

I'll carry on like this for a bit but I can't help thinking a 5 string would be better but I'd still have to take 2 guitars with me as my 62 really does the business for blues and for my real gigs I'll only be playing that guitar.