Why become a member? ×

playing an sg feels wrong!

andytoad

i have had my mates gibson sg bass in my cupboard for almost a year, never played it, diddnt like em.

i took it to practice, wow, the tone from the neck pu is probably what i jave been searching for from year dot, neck feels great, the bass feels really sensitive, inlike my fenders.

now, heres the problem; im stocky, the wife would say i could loose a few pounds, the sg bass therefore looks like a silly little imitation girly bass.

damn, what sould i do, go with the sg and face a lifetime of mocking from my fellow muscians (the guitarist feels particularly proud to 'have a larger one for once') or keep searching for the one? indeed, does anyone ever find the one?

yours confused......

andytoad

If it's the neck pickup sound you like, check out other basses with big humbuckers at the neck.

I always feel that 34" scale SG-style basses look unbalanced and are very likely to be neck divers, but how about Squier's VM Tele (the one based on the '70s Telecaster II bass, not the one with the telecaster body shape), or the Fender Modern Player equivalent with the extra pickup?

[quote name='andytoad' timestamp='1423092984' post='2680826']
i have had my mates gibson sg bass in my cupboard for almost a year, never played it, diddnt like em.

i took it to practice, wow, the tone from the neck pu is probably what i jave been searching for from year dot, neck feels great, the bass feels really sensitive, inlike my fenders.

now, heres the problem; im stocky, the wife would say i could loose a few pounds, the sg bass therefore looks like a silly little imitation girly bass.

damn, what sould i do, go with the sg and face a lifetime of mocking from my fellow muscians (the guitarist feels particularly proud to 'have a larger one for once') or keep searching for the one? indeed, does anyone ever find the one?

yours confused......

andytoad
[/quote]

Are we talking about a modern Gibson SG bass (three knobs, volume/volume/tone)? If so, the neck pickup is not a traditional sidewinder mudbucker, but a Gibson TB+ (humbucker, blades, ceramic magnets) masquerading as one, complete with fake pole pieces. I know this because I took the one out of my Midtown Standard. Also, see [url="http://music-electronics-forum.com/t35474/#post334486"]http://music-electro...474/#post334486[/url]

Incidentally, that's my shout for a bigger bass using the same pickup jammed up against the heel of the neck, either a Midtown Standard or a Midtown Signature. Sure, it's chambered, but I doubt it'll make a lot of difference. The bigger body and 34" scale will make it feel a bit more in proportion ;)

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1423131543' post='2681059']
Incidentally, that's my shout for a bigger bass using the same pickup jammed up against the heel of the neck, either a Midtown Standard or a Midtown Signature. Sure, it's chambered, but I doubt it'll make a lot of difference. The bigger body and 34" scale will make it feel a bit more in proportion ;)
[/quote]

Forgot about the Midtown - good shout!

Im a big fan of the "Mudbucker" neck pickup and being 6'5 and not the lanky kind, certain instruments look daft when i hold them Sixer' guitars actually feel like and look like toy's in my mit's .

For years I tried to find a telebass or 'vintage P bass' ,that suited but the Squire felt a bit underwhelming and the vintage things i tried were way out of my price range .. status make these , they even do a pino model with a bridge jazz pickup but im very happy with mine

Andytoad - tone is such an illusive quality that if you think you have found it with an SG type bass then nab it! Size of bass - who cares? I posted this before but check out Hamish Stuart, not a small man and a bit of a geezer by all accounts, playing a Mustang. No-one appears to pointing and laughing.

http://youtu.be/qSP5yiUbDLQ

I am not small - 5'10" and 100 kgs - I regularly play a Musicmaster and have just recently acquired a Danelectro Longhorn, both shortscale. The Dano is ridiculously camp, frankly, but I am not remotely bothered.