Why become a member? ×

Fretless question

Phil Adams

I love playing fretless. Whilst I'm sure my intonation isn't spot on for the most part, my band mates say they can't hear any difference between me playing with or without frets (just as bad both ways I suspect).
Are there any BC members who only play fretless through choice? (Obviously DB players need not apply).
ie, is there any reason I can't live out the rest of my days playing fretless, or will the fret police be waiting to ambush me? Apart from slap and pop styles which I don't subscribe to anyway, is there any other situation where I'm gonna regret not having frets?

Thanks in advance.

I have played fretless all the time in one of my bands for about six years now. I recently joined a blues band where I use a fretted P, but it's only a matter of time before I switch to the fretless for that band too.

I much prefer fretless bass, and it sounds like you do too. If it makes you happy then go for it!

Also, you can make a fretless sound fretted (sounds like you can do this already), but you can't make a fretted sound fretless, so it's fretless for the win!

Edited by walbassist

In one band, I commonly play fretless. That band also has a guitarist who plays slide guitar and sometimes lapsteel - both of which are (in effect at least) fretless. Sometimes the intonation between us is spicy, but that's folk and blues for you.

There's one song where I slide up an octave from Bb on the A string. When I did play a fretted bass with that band on that song I missed the octave by a whole semitone. With fretless I'm always much closer than that.

There are some songs in my band's set that do sound better with a fretted bass, but I have done entire gigs on fretless and prefer to really. Providing you don't slide into every note or overdo the vibrato I don't see any reason (other than slapping and popping) why one shouldn't solely play fretless if the bass that you are using tone is appropriate.

EDIT: Fretless FTW! :)

Edited by ezbass

I have just made the switch to fretless and have been playing it in a pop/rock/blues environment with no problem. I prefer it really. I decided to start after beginning the DB a year or so back and find it easier to play as I can judge by ear rather than sight where I am when singing. On the fretted bass I was often out by a fret but now can adjust as necessary on the fly. The band have not noticed the change as I play as I would fretted bass (with a pick and not much slide or vibrato) but I find it more comfortable to play.

Out youngest, Tom, started off on his Cort 5-stringer, but as soon as I got my 6-string fretless, he 'snaffled' it. I don't get a look-in any more, and he plays exclusively with it. The poor ol' Cort has not been touched for a few years, now..! Our repertoire is pop/rock covers, such as Bowie, Radiohead, RHCP, SOAD, RATM, Chris Cornell... I'm sure that none (or nearly none...) of our audience know (nor care...) that it's a fretless.

Edited by Dad3353

In a previous band I played the majority of the songs on fretless. Only a few which used two note chords were played on a fretted bass. When working on a new song I always started with the fretless and only switched to fretted once I knew that I couldn't make the bass sound right with the fretless.

While I love playing the fretless on stage, there are a few songs that I have to use a fretted on. One of these, Turn The Page, by Bob Seger, requires me to hold chords on the neck while plucking out a pattern, and it just doesn't sound right on the fretless. I have a "bionic shoulder" and just can't twist my wrist enough to get all three notes in the chord to be in pitch. Awww, who am I kidding, I'm just getting old! lol

Edited by dadofsix