Why become a member? ×

New Years Eve Gigs, What's Happening?

blue

I've got a bit of a weird feeling one booked. Its a gig we've done about 4 times last year - the owner booked us for NYE at half time on the first gig - but he chipped our money at the last gig by £50 claiming he hasn't made enough over the bar that night. We rolled with it on that occassion but its left a worry over tomorrows one. He originally offered £500 (for a 4 piece), we countered with £1000 and settled on £800 as its only half an hour away. I tried to get the money upfront from him but with no luck, not surprised but it was worth a go. Got a feeling he's gonna plead poverty after the crowd has gone.......may be nicely surprised though.

We're only playing a 45min slot at a NYE party in town with a bunch of other bands. I only know a few of them but they're all good and fun (we all play originals with a common denominator: upbeat, dancey, fun), so it should be a great evening. It's organised between two venues that are interconnected, so when one band finishes in one venue, the next starts in the other, so no dead time in between shows. We're getting paid really well as they're paying us taking into account how many band members we have (8-piece), so that's a really cool bonus, as it's a party I'd have liked to go anyway, but since I'm playing I get to be there for free as well :lol:

I was planning on taking my brand new shiny red cabs, but it seems too much hassle for just 45min, so I might just walk in with my bass on my back and just have fun.

Outfit not 100% decided yet, but I just got this wool hat + beard, and I think I have to use it, don't you agree? :lol:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1419974398' post='2644585']
I've got a bit of a weird feeling one booked. Its a gig we've done about 4 times last year - the owner booked us for NYE at half time on the first gig - but he chipped our money at the last gig by £50 claiming he hasn't made enough over the bar that night. We rolled with it on that occassion but its left a worry over tomorrows one. He originally offered £500 (for a 4 piece), we countered with £1000 and settled on £800 as its only half an hour away. I tried to get the money upfront from him but with no luck, not surprised but it was worth a go. Got a feeling he's gonna plead poverty after the crowd has gone.......may be nicely surprised though.
[/quote]

Difficult... I guess you either take a party which will be a good payer etc etc ..and then work for it, or you do it cheaper for a pub
and then hope the guy can pay you what he has agreed.
I am half glad we didn't bother and I think we'd only come out for a regular LL/pub so we would be pretty sure there'd be no problems
Walking round town this xmas period makes me glad I haven't got to put up with some of those people when they've had more to drink :lol:
I hope it goes well for you guys..

If g/f is ill, I'd be have tempted to tell a few ppl I'll taxi them home..
I think it would be easy to pick up £100 for 90 mins work or so... :lol:

Well I'm in the thick of it, Savoy just by the Thames and Boris' fireworks. 8 piece. Rebooking via agent from last year.
No way of driving to it in the evening but as I'm only using in-ears and a couple of effects I will park outside the restrictions and walk in just in time for Dinner.
PA guy(s) will be up there all day and can't leave till the early hours which is a pain for them.
For Uptown Funk I just use a Markbass Octaver which sounds fine.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1419976022' post='2644606']
We're only playing a 45min slot at a NYE party in town with a bunch of other bands. I only know a few of them but they're all good and fun (we all play originals with a common denominator: upbeat, dancey, fun), so it should be a great evening. It's organised between two venues that are interconnected, so when one band finishes in one venue, the next starts in the other, so no dead time in between shows. We're getting paid really well as they're paying us taking into account how many band members we have (8-piece), so that's a really cool bonus, as it's a party I'd have liked to go anyway, but since I'm playing I get to be there for free as well :lol:

I was planning on taking my brand new shiny red cabs, but it seems too much hassle for just 45min, so I might just walk in with my bass on my back and just have fun.

Outfit not 100% decided yet, but I just got this wool hat + beard, and I think I have to use it, don't you agree? :lol:

[/quote]
I am thinking this is what Santa Claus looks like on his holidays during the summer?

Edit to say- obviously Santa would be a five string player so it cant be! :P

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Pub that's 15 minutes away, usually a very poor payer and likes us in every month to pull a crowd. We've cut him back to bi-monthly but he still booked us for NYE on a pretty tidy sum. He's charging on the door with a buffet included and usually it's a pretty good do (we've done it a few times before), I'm looking forward to it! Will have a little snifter when we get home 😉

Well just got back, venue only 10 mins by car away. Not as bad as I thought, there were a few under 50 in the audience and dancing too. £160 and a plate of sandwiches each, most of which I could not eat! Oh, and a glass of fizz so Happy New Year!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419977764' post='2644623']

Difficult... I guess you either take a party which will be a good payer etc etc ..and then work for it, or you do it cheaper for a pub
and then hope the guy can pay you what he has agreed.
I am half glad we didn't bother and I think we'd only come out for a regular LL/pub so we would be pretty sure there'd be no problems
Walking round town this xmas period makes me glad I haven't got to put up with some of those people when they've had more to drink :lol:
I hope it goes well for you guys..

If g/f is ill, I'd be have tempted to tell a few ppl I'll taxi them home..
I think it would be easy to pick up £100 for 90 mins work or so... :lol:
[/quote]

Phew, that worked out ok. We got paid the full £800 even though he only took £1200 on the night and had to pay doorstaff. He'd cheered up by the time we were away too. Athough he said he'd never pay that much for a NYE band again.

Back home here too, happy new year.

There was a music stand in full view but thankfully most of them stayed and danced!
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/20141231_235827_zpsaxxakmhf.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/20141231_235827_zpsaxxakmhf.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
New year slappin'
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/20141231_233146_zpsdkronxrm.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/20141231_233146_zpsdkronxrm.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
More scale length than a Dingwall...
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/20141231_234654_zpsuwweh4f2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/20141231_234654_zpsuwweh4f2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Until next year folks :D

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1420077912' post='2645459']
Well just got back, venue only 10 mins by car away. Not as bad as I thought, there were a few under 50 in the audience and dancing too. £160 and a plate of sandwiches each, most of which I could not eat! Oh, and a glass of fizz so Happy New Year!
[/quote]

Had a similar night! Back at my girlies enjoying a couple of beers now! Takes a while to wind down, very dancy energetic crowd so we got right into it!

I'm back home too. Great NYE Bar gig, packed and lots of dancing. On top of our fee a very nice couple tipped the band $100.00 a piece including our sound guy. It's the 3rd time this couple has done this.

I also met a super attractive lady, but I think she might be out of my league

Blue

Edited by blue

My gig was f***ing rubbish for a wide variety of reasons. Can't be bothered to list everything that went wrong and I think I'll be ringing the band leader in the morning to say that they need to pull their socks up if I'm to play for them again. Serious attitude and quality problems in that band!!

Oh well, I've had a sip of sherry and a ham sandwich, off to bed now :)

Happy new year everyone!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1420081622' post='2645474']
My gig was f***ing rubbish for a wide variety of reasons. Can't be bothered to list everything that went wrong and I think I'll be ringing the band leader in the morning to say that they need to pull their socks up if I'm to play for them again. Serious attitude and quality problems in that band!!

Oh well, I've had a sip of sherry and a ham sandwich, off to bed now :)

Happy new year everyone!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Dang, I hate hearing about these train wrecks truckstop. I hope your BL understands where your coming from.

Blue

Just got back from ours. A small village pub in the posh end of the county. We fell on our feet this year having been cancelled a few weeks ago by the social club we were booked in, after they fell out with the chap that booked us. Luckily the same day we picked up another gig at the same place we've done for the last two years. More money too (£660 for our trio).

We play pop and rock covers from 60s/70s/80s. We don't use a fixed set list - we pull them from a 'big' list as appropriate, or encourage requests and will usually give it a go whether we know it or not. Auld Lang Syne was at the right time though - I took my radio controlled illuminated clock :).

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1420096258' post='2645484']
Went to a jam. Played a few songs. Flirted inappropriately with gentlemen. Came home and managed to cook an omelette without setting myself on fire. Now in bed, probably still pissed.
Hurrah for 2015! :-)
[/quote]

*presses like button*

We played 3 sets at a local pub we play regularly. It was a ticket only affair to keep the numbers organised. On NYE morning our son who drums was feeling really ill. Luckily our old drummer was available and stood in. He hasn't played with us from at least 18 months. Most songs were fine .a few interesting moments with some of our new songs but nothing we couldn't deal with
Great fun all round. Fancy dress too.

Ours couldnt have gone any better. 3 spots and dance floor packed all night. Free booze all night and me and drummer walked home at 3.30am leaving gear locked up to be collected today. Highlight was DJ being too drunk to organise the bells at midnight and missing it by 3 minutes.
Paying price now with bad head, bad back and 3 boxes of mic and speaker leads to untangle.

Mine was ok, kinda fun, not the greatest, not the worst, but fun. Got home early too, back by 1:30!!
I watched my iPad which I use for lyrics for time and we knocked out a quick punky version of auld langs wotnot, before making the first song of 2015 'Trouble' by Shampoo.
Heheheh
Someone plonked this hat on me, it wasn't the most comfy fit!!
[URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/user/gafbass02/media/3EBC4A1D-3FC0-451B-A6EC-D5A1B27BD530.jpg.html][IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/3EBC4A1D-3FC0-451B-A6EC-D5A1B27BD530.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Mine was good fun, but it just seemed to drag. Typical WMC gig where there's bingo before and between every bloody set (we did 3 half hours). But, the band sounded tight as a nut (sad really as it's one of my last gigs with them, if not THE last gig), the place absolutely loved it, we played Auld Lang Syne bang on time after having the room count down with us, and it paid well... And I was home before 3!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1420096258' post='2645484']
Went to a jam. Played a few songs. Flirted inappropriately with gentlemen. Came home and managed to cook an omelette without setting myself on fire. Now in bed, probably still pissed.
Hurrah for 2015! :-)
[/quote]

Pretty much a normal night out for you then Shel? ;) I had an OK but fairly unremarkable NYE gig (small club house, only 50 adults invited and not all showed though some brought kids which probably meant a final total of around 50), three sets mixed in with a DJ who seemed to be suffering various sound issues. At one point I thought it might be the proximity of some of our stuff that was the issue but after switching various things off he still got odd buzzes and stuff through his PA (separate from our own). We got twice normal pub fee, though the band leader was talking at one point about taking less so that they might give us more work this year. Well bollox to that, we were as cheap as any band they were going to get that night even at the higher fee which is what we ended up with in the end. Home before 2am and sound asleep by 2:30, completely sober. I'll have a night out tomorrow then another gig on Sat which I'm expecting to be quite dead. Not bothered unloading the gear from the car, can wait until after Sat's gig.

Standard 2 set job in my local boozer but we got triple fee. We stopped at 5 to 12 for the traditional countdown and singing of that dreadful song during which I sloped off to the bog to avoid the toe curling embarrassment then came back on and did 2 more. So far as I remember the sets went - Gimmee All Your Lovin , Bad Case of Loving You/Gary Glitter medley , Viva las Vegas/walk like a Man medley , Werewolves of London/Sweet Home Alabama/that thing by Kid Rock medley , Tainted Love , Winner Takes it All , Detroit Diesel medley with a ton of other bits like Michael Jackson/Enter Sandman/Great Balls of fire etc with the ending being the grand Prix bit from the Chain. 2nd Spot went Beastie Boys , Something that's on the telly a lot that I can never remember , Roadhouse Blues/Blockbuster medley , All Fired Up/Rebel Yell medley , Country Girl , Spirit in the Sky/offensive version of My Coo ca Choo medley , Get your Rocks off/Pretty Woman medley , Daft version of Living on a Prayer , Cigarettes and Alcohol/Get it on/Take me bak 'ome medley , Purple Rain ( gleefully sung as Purple Vein). The we stopped and did a manic Quo medley with a bit of Silver Machine in it then finished by getting some totty up on stage for Mustang Sally with a Shout finish. Pints consumed included Yorkshire Blonde , London Pride plus several offerings from the micro brewery underneath the pub. Most were freebies and the others I stole off tables when the owners either passed out or went for a fight ! I did most of it in a dinosaur onsie because our guitarist complained that if I insisted in displaying my comedy T shirt of choice we might get beheaded on You Tube.