Why become a member? ×

New Years Eve Gigs, What's Happening?

blue

[quote name='gilmour' timestamp='1419948209' post='2644195']
For me i'd say half to double is acceptable (depending on what that is). TBH I really enjoy a good NYE gig, I'm not bothered by being out drinking with friends, but a few beers, playing some music, enthusiastic crowd... there are worse ways to spend a night :)
[/quote]

I'd definitely rather be playing, and I'm sure it would've been a great atmosphere in the pub where we were offered the gig. I probably would've gone for it to be honest, for the reasons you mention above, but was overruled on this occasion :)

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1419948302' post='2644197']
Country pub in North Herts this year. 9-1, three sets about an hour each. £1,250 for a 5-piece band which I think is about right. I think musicians should be getting at least £200 a head for pubs and clubs, £400+ each for corporate/function.

Pub's organised a lovely heated marquee for all the locals and regulars, should be intimate and fun!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Sounds like you've got a pretty good one there Truckstop!

Booked into the cramped corner of a hotel run by a close friend for a little jazzy trio gig as 'meal music/warm up' from 7pm-10:30pm (before a faux Hootenanny kicks off at 11pm - glad I'm not involved with the logistics of THAT!) and even get to play some original stuff too, some of which the pianist and I are still writing! I'll be off to celebrate at my friend's house who have just had their first baby after that. A good hour to get into the party, wet the baby's head and have a much heavier pocket.

Looking forward to it :-)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419949046' post='2644202']
We set a price and didn't get it so I'll be going to see my mates band..
Free entry so don't feel obliged to stay forever ..
[/quote]

You could even save yourself the bother by asking if they use music stands in advance :mellow:

Our original NYE venue pulled out of a live band and went for having 2 DJ's on instead so I thought I'd be gigless. However we were then contacted by a local amateur football club (who we did an outdoor summer gig and later a xmas party for last year) so we'll do that instead. Won't be a massive payer but substantially more per head than a normal pub gig.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1419955526' post='2644291']
You could even save yourself the bother by asking if they use music stands in advance :mellow:
[/quote]

I think you've got me mixed up with someone else...

This is a good band...otherwise I wouldn't even be bothering

Our covers band got offered a pub gig at a fairly local place where we've done a couple of good gigs. Wasn't a great payer so drummer and guitarist decided it wasn't enough to sweeten up their respective partners and declined it. I would've done it, it was about 75% on top of what they'd normally pay us and more than I'm gonna earn sat at home with the in laws and my sister in law and her bloke! I can understand band members wanting to do the family thing on NYE but what I struggle with is the whole "my missus will go mad unless it's worth £X amount", my wife would rather I was home with her but she'd never stop me doing a gig, even if it wasn't a great earner.

We are doing a Hogmanay gig in our local bar which I'm looking forward to as we have a few new numbers to try out. Only trouble is there's a street party on and another big party night somewhere else. Good thing is , the street party finishes at half twelve, so even if a lot of folks go to that, we should get the aftermath coming into the pub , as its open till at least 2 .

Have a good new year folks!

We had one at a community pub here, well paid, good venue, done it last year too... usually put on a marquee etc. Very much a village atmosphere and everyone goes out.

Rang a couple of weeks ago to check up on it and turns out the manager had been "removed". The new manager then proceeded to laugh at us down the phone when we told them about our booking (£800 for a 4 piece) and offered us under 1/4 of that claiming they couldn't make the £2k they would need in a night to make it worthwhile. (last year the pub took over double that), so they were politely told to eff off.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1419965045' post='2644444']
We had one at a community pub here, well paid, good venue, done it last year too... usually put on a marquee etc. Very much a village atmosphere and everyone goes out.

Rang a couple of weeks ago to check up on it and turns out the manager had been "removed". The new manager then proceeded to laugh at us down the phone when we told them about our booking (£800 for a 4 piece) and offered us under 1/4 of that claiming they couldn't make the £2k they would need in a night to make it worthwhile. (last year the pub took over double that), so they were politely told to eff off.
[/quote]
I've been a victim of the 'removed' manager, booked for a 40th party, lots of tickets presold, turned up and the new emergency manager had never heard of him, the gig had been cancelled but to be fair we played and got paid, there was 6 people in there!!!!

Begs the question of what fees bands are setting for NYE.

I understand that it is a very expensive night all round, but I would want way more than the bar staff earned that night
to consider it worth doing..and I accept that pubs just can't go to that sort of money. I don't think I'd want to do
a function either..unless it was a dep gig and I just turned up but the hours would be 'critical'

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419965763' post='2644451']

I understand that it is a very expensive night all round, but I would want way more than the bar staff earned that night
to consider it worth doing..and I accept that pubs just can't go to that sort of money. I don't think I'd want to do
a function either..unless it was a dep gig and I just turned up but the hours would be 'critical'
[/quote]
Depends on the location... the venue in question is a village pub that attracts 100+ whenever there is an event on. There is no other pubs in the village and its verty much a community spirit where everyone goes out together. We've done other gigs in the village at a couples house and had the same sort of turn out as the pub - 100+ people.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419965763' post='2644451']

[/quote]
We are getting £500 between 3 of us, its local and we can park the vehicles a few feet from the stage area of the tent. I've just had a call to say 130 of the 150 tickets have been sold too. £5 a ticket so I dont think thats unfair as they have hired the marquee?

Update 230 of 250 tickets sold! Probably should be practicing...

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I'd say that is a very good fee for the pub...
It wouldn't worry me how close it was if it was the right gig for the right money...
I'd be thinking I'm working, not needing to drink so I'd want big money...but like
I say, we set a fee, and had no takers, which is what I think the point was ... :lol:
for the guys in the duo's :lol: :lol:

I'm depping for a mate in a harmony pop band doing a hilarious bunch of about 40 wall-to-wall 60s classics.

Not sure what the money will be, but it'll be more than usual.

It's a very silly local pub and the set includes Pleasant Valley Sunday and Wichita Lineman... what's not to love :lol:

I shall be with my functions band 'Jessica & The Rabbits' playing in a marquee outside a nice rural pub out towards Dartmoor, Devon. Goodish pay, any meal of their menu for the band at the start of the night (steaks all round) and free bar for the band...quite looking forward to it.

Set list:
[b][u]1st Set[/u][/b]
[list=1]
[*]Shake rattle and roll
[*]Express yourself/chameleon/spooky
[*]Why don’t you do right
[*]Son of a preacher man
[*]Moondance
[*]Hallelujah I love her so
[*]Knock on wood/peter gunn
[*]These boots
[*]Heard it through the Grapevine
[*]Inside out
[*]funky music/ghost busters
[*]Long train running/get up offa that thing.
[/list]
[b][u]2[sup]nd[/sup] set[/u][/b]
[list=1]
[*]Go daddy o
[*]I wish
[*]Tainted love
[*]Beggin’/cantina
[*]Hard to handle
[*]I just want to make love
[*]Mr big stuff
[*]Soul man/Chicken/Hold on i’m coming
[*]i feel good/papa’s bag
[*]Mercy
[*]Tequila/higher and higher
[*]Superstition
[*]Zoot suit riot
[/list]
[b][u]3[sup]rd[/sup] set[/u][/b]
[list=1]
[*]Soulfinger
[*]Great balls/ Johnny
[*]Crazy little thing/reet petite
[*]Land of 1000 dances/ twist and shout
[*]Monkey man
[*]One step beyond
[*]Hit the road jack
[*]Treat her right/wipeout
[*]Minnie the moocher
[*]Shake a tailfeather
[*]Proud Mary
[*]Tutti Frutti
[*]Shout
[*]Hey jude
[/list]

AULD LANG SYNE AT 12PM

[center][/center]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1419929850' post='2643968']
I have been in there I think on a stag doo, glass partitions and mood lighting etc all in an old church, raised up wooden areas?

Have a good un :)
[/quote]

that's the one Pete - thanks, will do our best to enjoy! Hope yours in centre of town is a blast too.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1419967656' post='2644469']

Let us know how Uptown funk goes - its on our setlist for next gig.
Still having fun trying to get a perfect sound for the bass.
[/quote]

We're considering this...what effect you using on the bass...if any ?

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1419967656' post='2644469']
Assuming so....

Let us know how Uptown funk goes - its on our setlist for next gig.
Still having fun trying to get a perfect sound for the bass.
[/quote]

Well we tried it all together for first time and it sounded good enough to play with only the one rehearsal.
I am actually playing guitar in this band; though I am a bass player first.
Our bass player got some great sounds for it, using MuTron filter and Aquilar Octave....hope that helps! And there are plenty of cheaper filters out there that do a passable imitation of a MuTron, e.g. EHX Qtron

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1419972864' post='2644547']
We're considering this...what effect you using on the bass...if any ?
[/quote]

bass is using MuTron and Octave....sounds spot on.
I guess any envolope filter combined with a smooth octaver would sound pretty close

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419971159' post='2644525']
I'd say that is a very good fee for the pub...
It wouldn't worry me how close it was if it was the right gig for the right money...
I'd be thinking I'm working, not needing to drink so I'd want big money...but like
I say, we set a fee, and had no takers, which is what I think the point was ... :lol:
for the guys in the duo's :lol: :lol:
[/quote]
To be fair JT this trio doesn't command much anyway, my other band a 4 piece would have wanted £800 for the same gig, we aren't doing a typical party set with the trio either. How much does a heated marquee cost to hire and heat?

Oh yeah we get food a drinks, expensive food menu too.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1419973100' post='2644553']
bass is using MuTron and Octave....sounds spot on.
I guess any envolope filter combined with a smooth octaver would sound pretty close
[/quote] Cool, cheers for that...i've got a Zoom B3 so i'm hopeful i can get something out of that :)