Why become a member? ×

What to Keep vs What to Sell (Amps)

Hot Tub

It's decision time. Should I keep the MarkBass CMD103H or the Marshall MB4410+DBS7115?

[b]Pros:
MarkBass[/b] ~ relatively light - which is a BIG plus ~ stupidly powerful ~ reliability is supposedly pretty good.
[b]Marshall[/b] ~ just sounds beautiful. It's the sound I've always been looking for.

[b]Cons:
MarkBass[/b] sounds bland in comparison to the Marshall; it has no "character". Won't take an extension cab.
[b]Marshall[/b] weighs a sodding ton! And there's a valve in there, so is reliability going to be an issue?

A possible deal-breaker against the MarkBass was that using a tuner in the effects loop doesn't mute the sound (the tuner is on my pedalboard, so it makes sense), However I fixed that by converting the loop from parallel to serial.

Another issue is that I could really use the cash the MarkBass would release, whereas the Marshall gear is worth less than half.

I can't decide what to do......

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1412765633' post='2571723']
that's how I decide between meals when I'm struggling to pick at a restaurant....
[/quote]

Mrs C suffers terribly from this issue... actually it's not really her that suffers, I do as a result of her affliction...

It's ridiculous... Sometimes I've choosen, eaten three courses, had some port, told myself an entertaining after dinner ancedote and ordered a Cab home before she's decided on a starter...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Hot Tub' timestamp='1412765242' post='2571714']

[b]Marshall[/b] ~ just sounds beautiful. It's the sound I've always been looking for.
[/quote]
As soon as I read that I would have made my decision. it's not a tent. I know it's heavy but its there to make sounds & if you love what it does then to me thats a simple decision

If you`ve no injuries which the Marshall aggravates, then keep that. However if you have, then keep the Markbass and get a pre-amp pedal to get the sound you want. No point in damaging yourself irreparable for the sake of sound.

[quote name='Hot Tub' timestamp='1412765242' post='2571714']
It's decision time. Should I keep the MarkBass CMD103H or the Marshall MB4410+DBS7115?

[b]Marshall[/b] weighs a sodding ton! [b] And there's a valve in there, so is reliability going to be an issue?[/b]
[/quote]

Nope. Valves are not all that unreliable.

Keep the Marshall if you like it. OK its heavy, but how often do you carry it far ?

Someone - I dont know who, but if you read this, thanks - loaned me one for a gig in Cornwall once and I loved it.

If you need to shift one soon - go with your back. If you can move the Marshall without risking harm - go ahead and sell the MarkBass.

If you can wait awhile (and have some cash to play with) you can see about getting the MarkBass sounding like the Marshall (either a preamp pedal or rackmount pre that does a wide range of sounds (e.g. sansamp like the below)).

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4gU09MS_5c"]https://www.youtube....h?v=l4gU09MS_5c[/url]

That way you get the lighter setup with a flexible pre. Of course this would mean further investment - it's just a suggestion.
If it were me - I'd look at getting the Head only version [color=#0000ff]of the Marshall[/color] & a lightish Cab - Like Beer Of The Bass suggested already!

[color=#0000ff]*EDIT for clarification.[/color]

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1412793341' post='2572186']
Is selling both an option? Maybe there's something lighter than the Marshall which you like the sound of more than the MB?
[/quote]

This seems sensible

Im not sure how dirty sounding the Marshall is but the Ampeg PF and the Orange terror are all in the MB price and weight range, I'm sure there are others also that are not just clean, LM tube ?

I've had to get rid of gear that I simply can't carry any more and it's always 'hurt' to do so :(

I had an Aguilar DB750 with a matching DB410 that I absolutely loved but I simply couldn't carry the cab more than a few paces and even the amp was killing me.

My Demeter head now works perfectly for me because it has all the time I want, looks pretty cool and comes in a small lightweight package. I'm using it with a little Bergantino AE210 which is a great cab but it's right on the cusp of what I can easily manage so that might be my next big decision. . . :(

Putting a really nice pedal in front of the MB might work for you but it could be that selling both and starting afresh might be a better long term option. More hassle but think of all the fun you'll have choosing something new :)

Edited by molan

I would always go with the amp that gives me my sound. Playing live with a sound that doesn't quite cut it is really frustrating to me! By all means try experimenting with pedals and other amps to try and get that sound in a more lightweight package, but until you do I would say to keep the Marshall