Why become a member? ×

Sunday Afternoon Gigs, What Do You Think?

blue

I use to not like Sunday afternoon gigs very much. But I guess it depends on the venue, the crowd and the pay.Probably in that order.

Again, I never much cared for them.I always thought the crowds were made up of the people that didn't quite get enough Saturday Night. You know, the people that wanted it to stay Saturday night. My past experience was more or less a combination of wrong venue, wrong crowd or maybe the wrong town. It seemed impossible to engage these people.

My current band has a decent following,decent, not great. For those who don't know were a 70s style 4 piece hard rock/blues band fronted by a 29 year old female lead guitarist and vocalist ( Cream, Hendrix ,Savoy Brown, Mountain, Trower ect...). I knew all those endless blues jamming in the 60s & 70s would pay off for me someday.

We pretty good about promoting our shows (not me personally, I'm to lazy) and we have this place, a biker Road House were these Sunday afternoon are actually fun.Mostly 50 plus folks for obvious reasons. We start around 1:00 and it's starts out slow but gradually we always generate a nice drinking crowd by 2:30. I'm pretty distant from the biker culture, but I have more fun schmoozing and talking to people there than any other venue we play.

Anyway, I thought we would be interested in thoughts, stories and comments on Sunday Gigs. Have any?

Blue

Edited by blue

There are quite a few sunday afternoon gigs over here (in the summer) and as that "Hendrix / Cream / Bonnamassa" thing is big here, the line up usually includes a band that plays it.

My experience of this in the UK though was that if we wanted live music at a lunchtime or afternoon gig, and it wasn't a big special event like a car or bike show, it would invariably be jazz in some pub or club. That seems to be a more suitable genre for that period of the day.

I've played a few here over the last 10 years and the only problem has been getting the audiences in as people either want a sunday slobbing around or tidying up the garden.

I don't think they are as popular as they used to be. I remember 10+ years back doing a few and they were okay if it was a lunchtime. Some, however were late afternoon and usually spilled over into the evening so you would get the landlord trying to get you to play on into the night as more punters arrived.
Would never do them now unless we had the Saturday night off before.

Sunday afternoon plus early evening round here are the most popular gigs.
The best two music towns will have 4-5 bands at least, playing from 1:00 to about 10;00pm.
You can go on quite a pub crawl if you want.
Off the top of my head, within 40 mins drive, there would be at least 10 gigs on a sunday, to go to.

They are also pretty popular with the bands as they finish early, generally which means it is not a late night
to go work the next day.
We have an issue that weekend day time gigs impact on our families, so we try to limit them.
But, in reality, we could be out every sunday if we wanted to.

first time we played a Sunday teatime gig about 5 years ago we'd never heard of them and we thought who's going to be there? but it went well and then it dawned on us, "what else is there to do on a Sunday teatime?". They have become a lot more popular in this area since then, it's got to be better than being dragged round the shops by the other half, any excuse to get out of that.

The last Sunday afternoon gig we played was a couple of years back, on the same afternoon that Andy Murray played in his first Wimbledon Men's Singles Final and there was the British G.P. at Silverstone.

[[color=#b22222][i]Note to Blue: In transatlantic terms, think of being up against the SuperBowl and a Mets/Yankees game[/i][/color].]

There's been very little enthusiasm since then for playing to an empty room while everyone within 50 yards crowds around a paiur of TVs in the next bar.

Some pubs round here put on jazz (mainly jazz-lite) to keep the place filled between Sunday lunchtime and the evening. It's Ok in the winter but in the summer the gig tends to get in the way of enjoying the garden and as often as not a GP or other sporting event.

Your post is timely, Blue, because a few days ago a guy who plays a clarinet through an octave pedal - imagine! - phoned me up for this coming Sunday. He'll have Alexander Hawkins on piano. For those who don't know Alex's work - probably everyone except Bilbo - he's the hottest avant garde jazzer around and is going to be a massive star. So a jazz monster will be playing with me, playing probably Rhythm Changes, A Train and other turgid stuff, in a country town wine bar - all for 30 quid!

www.alexanderhawkinsmusic.com

Edited by bassace

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1411131910' post='2556776']
The last Sunday afternoon gig we played was a couple of years back, on the same afternoon that Andy Murray played in his first Wimbledon Men's Singles Final and there was the British G.P. at Silverstone.

[[color=#b22222][i]Note to Blue: In transatlantic terms, think of being up against the SuperBowl and a Mets/Yankees game[/i][/color].]

There's been very little enthusiasm since then for playing to an empty room while everyone within 50 yards crowds around a paiur of TVs in the next bar.
[/quote]
what an awesome opportunity to endlessly jam over "the chain"...

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1411130515' post='2556761']
first time we played a Sunday teatime gig about 5 years ago we'd never heard of them and we thought who's going to be there? but it went well and then it dawned on us, "what else is there to do on a Sunday teatime?". They have become a lot more popular in this area since then, it's got to be better than being dragged round the shops by the other half, any excuse to get out of that.
[/quote]

I'd like to try one of these once the small people have grown up a bit.